Backup cameras

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seraphim

Reaction score
Backup cameras.

Have been considering a backup camera for the TC, and would like one with a portable wireless monitor so, at night, it would double as a security camera, since the camera portion would be directly over the door of the camper anyway.

Anyone knowledgeable about them? Recommendations?

I've been considering one.

It sort of bugs me that the manufacturers all seem to want you to wire it in through your backup light circuit, so it only comes on when you are actually backing up.  It makes me wonder just how long it will last if you leave it powered on for hours at a time, say as a replacement for your rear view mirror while you are driving.  I assume that both the camera and monitor have a finite lifespan, and the cheaper the system, probably the shorter life they will have.

Prices are all over the board.  I've seen really cheap ones, and some really expensive ones marketed to the people with big, expensive motorhomes.

Regards
John

The backup light wiring is so it doesn't distract the driver, the same reason RVs with TVs in the drivers view are wired not to run when driving.

I've got a cheepie pointed down that sees little but my toad when driving, but is useful backing in to spots. I'm planning on putting in a second (switch by monitor to select) lower pointed out to see traffic behind.

I found the same concerns when searching for systems. Bypassing the backup lights doesn't seem difficult, and I'd want the unit to run off the house batteries, which feed off the alternator when driving. I suppose I could install a manual on/off switch in the house (camper) and just make sure it's turned on when driving. I could then turn it off at night to conserve power, but turn it on if something's at the door. We have an exterior light there, as well. Our camper is about 12' high when in the truck, so a high camera position would permit it to be used as rear view mirror, backing, and security.

I read complaints about the rear view mirror style being too dim in daylight. Might have been brand specific

I have a Boyo review mirror (monitor built in) that works well.  I bought a cheap wired camera and a cheap wireless transmitter/receiver pair to send the camera signal to the review mirror.  I have a switch on the dash (wired to be hot only with engine on) to toggle the monitor function and am using the running lights in the tail lights to power the camera.  I did not want to run a wire from the front to the back, I did that once for trailer brakes  :dodgy:  I can control both with a switch (toggle for mirror and light switch for camera).  I never thought of trying to use it as a security system too as my doors are only on the sides. The way you describe wiring it should work well for you.

Thanks B and C - with a truck camper, my rear view mirror is worthless, so the camera function would run full time while driving. If the mirror came off easily (does it plug into a power point in the car?) I could take it with me into the camper and plug it in there for night time security.

If you can provide specific info on the camera and transmitter/receiver, I may follow your example, as I know they function together.

Just brainstorming: if I could power the 'mirror' from one of the trucks 'cigarette lighters' and instal an off/on switch in the power cord, it would be a simple matter to unplug, take in back, and plug it directly into one of the recharging plugs I already installed in the camper...

...which would mean I'd be using a circuit I already installed, and not need to install another. Actually, the camera could power from one of the camper's power points as well, assuming camera and monitor didn't pull more than 20 amps combined ...

Ok - ordered the parts from Amazon. This system was rated third by some technical websites, but number two didn't have the features I wanted, and there appeared to be some issues on the number one ranked, which would have been about $50 more.

This has a slightly larger monitor which has the option of plugging into the 12v outlet - easy to transfer between truck and camper, and plug in the campers recharge points. No inline power switch need. Wide angle camera should should good view of campsite around door, traffic behind, and even an indication of the bikes are still securely mounted on the rear.

Mounting the camera over the door, it's a short to the control panel just inside the unit, and there are a couple of unused switches I connect to, to turn the camera on and off from inside the unit.
It'll be OK to leave the camera on if we stop somewhere for a few hours while traveling, thanks to the solar cells . Should t drain any power at all from house batteries, unless its raining. Even then, draw should be minimal and recharge quickly when driving again (from alternator).

All theoretical right now, of course lol.

Seraphim said:
Thanks B and C - with a truck camper, my rear view mirror is worthless, so the camera function would run full time while driving. If the mirror came off easily (does it plug into a power point in the car?) I could take it with me into the camper and plug it in there for night time security.

The Boyo rear view mirror I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/Boyo-VTM43TC-monitor-compass-temperature/dp/B00J3KCHYA
It is made to be hardwired into your existing electrical system.  I suppose you could wire a Cigarette power plug on the end and leave the set screw loose so the mirror could be unplugged and lifted off.  The compass would probably have to be re-calibrated if you want to use that and the temp sensor unplugs from the back side.  I would think a dash mount monitor would work better in your case.  No fuss with extra wires(don't have to run or connect the temp gauge wire).  You could leave the temp gauge off completely too I would think.  Your call.

I bought cheap wireless transmitter/receiver pair off ebay like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4G-Wirele...371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b9fcfb23
These seem to work well but both transmitter and receiver are inside my vehicle and only about 12-15 feet apart with no metal in between them.  These turn any hardwired system into a wireless system.

Another cheap item I bought was the camera like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-LED-Anti...547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3398869b73

I like the adjustable sunshade on it too. I am not sure how well the IR part is as there is always light behind me as in license plate, tail light reflecting off my toad window or MC trailer.  My tail lights are what provides power to the camera.

If what you desire most is night vision, get a camera that has a lot of IR lights.  I would just as soon mine did not have any, but did not find a sun shade camera without.

My system works for me, but YMMV.  I think a dash/window mount monitor at least.  It would be a lot easier to move back and forth.  A suction cup mount may make it easy to mount it the back when you move it.

Decided to build a sunshade/rain shade mount for the rear camera. You've given me the idea of making one for the monitor, as well...

Received and installed the Yada backup camera today. It seemed easier and nearly as inexpensive as purchasing components separately, and had the added bonus of coming with a 12v plug for camera as well as one for the monitor.

I did a temporary install after making sure everything worked. Even with the truck parked across the street from the camper, the two units paired up and functioned.

I mounted the camera above the door, centered on the unit. I had planned to run the cable through the camper wall, but it was much easier to run it through the nearby vent fan on the roof. It then goes down the inside wall to the 12v power plugs (cigarette lighters) I installed. Power draw on the battery is negligent (500 mAmps total) and doesn't register on the battery monitor. Just have to plug it in before driving.

People apparently have problems judging distance with the wide angle lens mounted on the license plate, but the high vantage point eliminates that problem. Easy to see how close the rear of the camper is to an object. The unit also provides backup lines on the monitor, if desired, for parking.

I can also take the monitor inside, plug it in, and see who or what is at the camper door, and have a wide field of vision all around. I think it will handle my needs nicely.

Just need to secure and pretty-up the install.

There had been a couple of complaints about the camera getting moisture inside, although other stated to have been living in extreme rainfall areas with no problems, so I put a little silicone seal around the seams for safety.

It also has infra red lighting. Haven't tried it at night yet.

The camera mount:

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    751 KB · Views: 9
image.jpg

Inside from the fan...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    670.1 KB · Views: 5
The camera plug ends near the two 12v plugs I installed earlier. The basket is there to hold devices while they are being recharged at the plugs.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    701.5 KB · Views: 4
It sounds like you got a good system for your use!  Don't forget to seal where the cable goes into the housing if there are moisture complaints.