back road camping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
looking for some answers. I like the idea of back road camping, going back further then most with a 4x4 truck/slidin combo. I can see staying for a few weeks or longer at some great spots. my question is two fold. 1. after dropping the camper in a spot and having to go on a supply run, will the camper be safe, has anybody had problems with leaving their camper alone for the day. 2. I assume the farther back you go, the less likely you are to be pushed out by rangers. having a limited budget I will need to stay longer in place and drive less for a few years. thanks for any info you can provide.

I've only had one problem with a camp and that was because I was too close to a city. As long as you stay far from cities you'll be okay. But, use common sense and minimize the number of valuables you have and use multiple locks to deter casual thieves--the pros shouldn't be there because there is nothing worth the effort for them.
Bob

The risk is surprisingly small. I wouldn't hesitate to leave my camper alone for the day. I hike lots and when I go for a hike, I need to leave my truck. I leave it unlocked. Nothing has ever been stolen. It does happen, though. Just because it has never happened to me, doesn't mean it won't ever happen to you or anyone else.

I would be more concerned about bears breaking in.

I doubt thieve are roaming around the trails we use, they would waste a lot of gas hoping to find a unattended rig with something worth stealing. Getting caught in someones camp may not be too good considering you may never be seen again. Lots of guns, lots of target shooting and those forest people can be scary.

Usually we rarely see anyone on the trail below unless it's a big weekend. We are usually deep enough that all we see are ATV's and dirt bikes.

When we are there you will see the solar, a few chairs and the dog pen. It's too windy to set up a outdoor kitchen or big patio. When we are not there all you see is the trailer.

At the RTR a BLM Ranger gave a talk at one of the seminars and crime was one of the questions. He's been there at Quartzsite for 11 years and in all that time never seen a violent crime. He ahd seen some petty thefts, mostly generators, nothing major.

You'll never be on public land more heavily used than around Quartzsite but also has tons of times and places where people are all alone.

You and your stuff are more safe on public land than anywhere else in the country.
Bob

thanks for all the helpful info, I thought it would be ok. nala and I have been doing a lot of backpack camping up here in the northeast the last few summers, and have never had any problem when we went out for day hikes. we both love being outdoors and taking the road less traveled. though I have learned that I am getting to old to be sleeping on the ground in a tent. a van or trailer will seem like a 4 star hotel to us.

jimindenver said:
Getting caught in someones camp may not be too good considering you may never be seen again. Lots of guns, lots of target shooting and those forest people can be scary.

I had not thought of that point of view of my own camp. Sometimes it helps to be a little weird.

I would think the same if I came on someone else's camp. Go wide around and keep moving.

I've only stopped by another site once and that was to warn them a bear was coming up on their camp. Chatted for a few and then we were off. I figure people are looking for the same thing I am, peace and quiet. I tuck us away not to hide from them but so we don't see them.

I think forest people are just like people everywhere and want to be treated with respect.

I'm one of those forest people and I don't think I'm scary but I do expect me and my camp to be treated with respect.

Last summer I was camped on top of a knob on a mountain looking across at the Grand Tetons. It was a big clearing full of wildflowers. About lunch a big group of ATVs stopped at the other end, it was 6 adults and about 8 kids, most of them on their own ATV. They stopped for lunch and let several of the little kids drive all around my camp and all over the wildflowers while they got lunch out.

I was infuriated!!! As mad as I can ever remember being! I went down there and screamed at them for 10 minutes. The guy knew he was obviously in the wrong so he was apologetic to get me to shut up. Finally I ran out of steam and  stomped back to my camp.

Treat us forest people and the earth with decent respect and we'll get along just fine! (You can't see it in this photo, but I'm parked by a fire ring and a well established campsite I did no harm to the location by being there)

youtube-header-tetons-003.jpg

Bob

in general camping in the boonies is far safer than living in cities. that said some trail heads that are close to big cities are notorious for car break ins. because of this I will not even park overnight at the closest prospecting area to me.
as far as someone else's camp, never ever walk into someone camp unannounced. if you come across a camp and don't see anyone, stand off and call out to get their attention. if you don't get a response don't enter the camp.
when I am out in the boonies I talk to the local ranchers and miners, I tell them where I am at and invite them over for a beer at the end of the day. this is my way of breaking the ice, it also gives me more security as in extra eyes watching out for my stuff. highdesertranger

Bob

I'm not a forest people, I'm a corn fed, farm raised HICK. Weird? Have you ever seen my post. lol

I grew up with if it isn't yours, don't touch it. Not your yard, you have no business being there. get caught poking around a barn and you had better hope the farmer used rock salt instead of buck shot. Old style country values could be pretty unforgiving but you knew you could expect the same from others. A lot better than the current concept of do you think you can get away with it.

The pot grows, meth labs and various extremest can be real threats but they are not usually close to public areas. Still it's another reason to give a wide berth to anything you encounter.

One thing I do worry about when we leave the trailer is not being able to find it again. GPS and tracking help today but back then there were a few close calls. We'd go out exploring only to realize we didn't know how to get back to the camper. One time I made one wrong turn and we searched for hours before we found it. when I tuck a camper away, I really tuck it away. lol

akrvbob said:
I think forest people are just like people everywhere and want to be treated with respect.

I'm one of those forest people and I don't think I'm scary but I do expect me and my camp to be treated with respect.

Bob

I think you were in the wrong here Bob. It's public land and not yours. It's like someone with a smartphone walking up to and following people to record them, it's perfectly legal....like here:  

It's tasteless and annoying, but perfectly legal. And I doubt that they were that close to your camp. If they were 20 feet away, that would seem reasonable.....but they can be 10 feet away, which is being a bunch of assholes, but legal....although 50-100 feet would be respectful as they're in loudass ATV's.  And them trampling over the wild flowers, well that sucks....but nothing illegal about it and whether those flowers grows back or not, it's still public domain unless there are laws against that.

Those guys backed off b/c they were there with their kids and were just decent & respectful. Kids will be kids, that's all. And they may have been scared of you and were pretty sure you were packing heat.

MK7 said:
It's tasteless and annoying, but perfectly legal. And I doubt that they were that close to your camp. If they were 20 feet away, that would seem reasonable.....but they can be 10 feet away, which is being a bunch of assholes, but legal....although 50-100 feet would be respectful as they're in loudass ATV's.  And them trampling over the wild flowers, well that sucks....but nothing illegal about it and whether those flowers grows back or not, it's still public domain unless there are laws against that.

Those guys backed off b/c they were there with their kids and were just decent & respectful. Kids will be kids, that's all.  And they may have been scared of you and were pretty sure you were packing heat.

I am a boondocker so I think that legal or not it is about respect and courtesy.   Parked on a bluff in Ehrenberg I had the same experience and in Cottonwood too.  They came right up the hill I was camping on.  Common Sense says to stay away, at a good distance from anybody's campsite.  In this 'life', although no 'rule book'....their are rules of behavior.  After awhile everyone learns them.

MK7 said:
I think you were in the wrong here Bob. It's public land and not yours. It's like someone with a smartphone walking up to and following people to record them, it's perfectly legal....like here:  

I can't even begin to comprehend how you got to that conclusion. Recording someone with a cell phone is a terrible analogy of being completely disrupted from camping. Maybe I made a mistake in reading Bob's comment, but no where did I read anything about any legal standing. Since the legality of there behavior wasn't brought up, I don't see how that is an issue.

The people on the ATV's where being a__hats, as you more or less agree with. Bob went up there and told them in no uncertain terms that they were being terribly rude. How is that wrong? How is it wrong to address someone of their abhorrent behavior? I don't get it.

How do you conclude that the noisy people suspected that Bob was "packing heat"? Maybe he was or maybe he wasn't. I can't begin to make the leap of suspecting Bob had a gun. And so what if he did? If he did, good for him. If not, then good for him, too.

Maybe I'm the one that is completely in left field here, but I will say straight up that I'm not getting it.

Where we camp if you see a group mucking up the landscape with ATV's, call a ranger. It's not a free for all here and there are fines for going off the path even with those. It may not be my land but it's not theirs to trash either.

Unfortunately proximity can't be helped sometimes. On a busy weekend even the more remote spots can be packed and you will hear people looking for a spot late at night. I feel for them but I don't want them parking on top of me. I will however point out where they might find a spot if given the chance.

Even at the RTR I don't think I would have made it more than a few days to show off the solar system and cookers. After that we would have moved enough to feel isolated while still being close enough to be able to participate. I use to be gregarious, not so much anymore.

Canine said:
I can't even begin to comprehend how you got to that conclusion. Recording someone with a cell phone is a terrible analogy of being completely disrupted from camping.

While the cell phone video is more extreme, it's to prove a point that while in public, you have no expectations of privacy.

Maybe I made a mistake in reading Bob's comment, but no where did I read anything about any legal standing. Since the legality of there behavior wasn't brought up, I don't see how that is an issue.

Well that's based on your personal upbringing and etiquette. While I agree and would abide with your personal etiquette, it  doesn't mean that others have to. So the LAW is the best option that both sides have, to settle this dispute....unless you want to go lawless and take this to a shouting match, then maybe fist fights....then knife fight....then gunfights?

How do you conclude that the noisy people suspected that Bob was "packing heat"? Maybe he was or maybe he wasn't. I can't begin to make the leap of suspecting Bob had a gun. And so what if he did? If he did, good for him. If not, then good for him, too.

Well he said he screamed at them for "10 minutes"... an elder man vs. 6 adults and 8 kids?  That takes a lot of balls, so most would think that he's either armed or is looney and has a death wish.  Just so happened that he yelled at people who were civilized and they backed off. Try having a nice, quiet picnic at a park in the ghetto....and dudes come around with loud music and loud cars....think nothing's going to happen if you try to yell at them like this?

Sameer said:
I am a boondocker so I think that legal or not it is about respect and courtesy.   Parked on a bluff in Ehrenberg I had the same experience and in Cottonwood too.  They came right up the hill I was camping on.  Common Sense says to stay away, at a good distance from anybody's campsite.  In this 'life', although no 'rule book'....their are rules of behavior.  After awhile everyone learns them.

A lot to most city slickers like myself, wouldn't know any of this. It is not that common of common sense. I can remember my first time camping....I had very little freaking clue, and this was at a Christian event where many people try to be extra nice and godly. Now add in youth, and there's a ton more of bad etiquette. Those kids on ATV's were probably showing off their toys and skills.

Just like someone from the boonies wouldn't understand why it's bad etiquette to drive in NYC leaving more than 2 car lengths in front.....hell, someone will squeeze right in front of you if you leave 1.5 car lengths in front of you....just to prove a point. It's not illegal, what you're doing, but it will piss off many people and they will F with you all day.

A big difference between someone who is on Public Land for a four day weekend and someone who is in a campsite for many, many days. When we find a spot it has to fulfill lots of expectations. The ability to urinate outside. Use a poop bucket outside or a cat hole in privacy. The dog has to be able to lay around the site safely. Good view...campfire pit for burning paper. Cell coverage, etc... AND away from ATV dust and noise. When this happened to me in Cottonwood, I simply told them to turn around and they did. Some people know how to be respectful and some don't. I never hesitate to speak to the invaders, thinking they just don't know.....or have common sense.