Average Miles Per Gallon for Class C and B+ RVs?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyz1

Learning one disaster at a time...
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the average MPG for small class Cs or Class B+s (22 to 25 ft)? I'm really hoping to get something that balances storage space and MPG (10 MPG or better). I would love a smaller Class B, but I just don't see it having enough storage space for me as a starter rig and they are more expensive even used. I'll be looking for something around 8 years old I think. I will be a solo female with maybe family (grandkids) part time.

I have debated just about everything, but have not been able to look up close (in person) to anything but TTs and 5th wheels (that's all they sell near me).... I have a 2010 RAV4 but towing on it is only 1,500 pounds.

My 2000 Roadtrek B+ with a 454 CID (7.4L for you younguns) gets 11.5 MPG. The newer ones with the 6.0L do much better.

B's cost more because they usually use better materials to make them with. Class C's seem to tend to leak a lot.

Edit to add: Mine will sleep 4 but be tight. DW and I traveled a lot in it but she can no longer travel. I find that I have more than enough space for me and my stuff when I do get out. Mine does have a basement and holds a lot of stuff.

1997 Ford E350 Super Duty Class C 29' 6.8l V10 averaged around 9 mpg during a 5,000 mi cross country trip, driving at speed limits of 65-80 mph. If I keep it 60-65 mph I pick up another mile per gallon, about 10 mpg. Mountains really suck the gas, steepest hills I get about 6 mpg.

I have a 22’ Class B, diesel, and get 20-22 mpg, staying mostly off interstates and away from 70mph speeds.

Our first RV was a Class C, and it absolutely sucked fuel, 9-12 mpg.

Class B plus here, 2002 with a V-10 triton. We get about 9-13 mpg

You may consider a Travato 59G. You may pay more initially but the savings in gas will add up over the long run. The G model has a Murphy bed in back and a convertible dinette in front to accommodate another sleeper or two if they're small kids.

If you want gas mileage in a C or B+, you'll most likely have to get a Sprinter diesel chassis to compete with the Travato's gas powered V-6 gas engine.

Good luck on your search.

Thanks very much for your replies.

The closest RV show to me (not until September) is Springfield, MO, and it appears to only be showing 5th wheels, TTs, etc.

I see there is an RV show in Tulsa, OK, in July (it will be hotter than ... heck). But the timing for that one would be just about perfect (to look, get a feel, etc, not so much to buy) for me.

So for comparison, my 1996 35' Class A gets about 10 @ 65MPH and 9.3 @ 70MPH cruise. That's for about 300 Sq foot weighing in at 9 tons.

250 HP/650 LbFt Cat 3126 Diesel Pusher. @100K miles, It's barely broken in.

I got 6-8 with my 4.6 Gas V8 in my Sport Trac pulling a 25' TT.

Go Big Diesel.

2018 coachmen 30'.  Chevy 6L.  Between 10-11 so far, but is just a little over 4000 mi on it.  Towed a ford ranger behind for a tank full-didn't change mileage.

My ambulance conversion with a 7.3 IDI diesel gets 16-18 cruising 75. Get a small no-jack knife trailer that have 1-4 swivel wheels so you just back up as normal. Here's just one brand http://smarttrailers.com/ watch the video. They had the single wheels in the '40s I have a 2 wheel I plan to sell.

2017 Forester 25' class C with the Ford V-10.. we saw 10 mpg one time after driving 55 mph on a flat two lane road for several hours. Generally it drops 1/2 mpg for every 5 mph over that.. so 60 mph = 9.5 mpg, 65 mph = 9.0 mpg, 70 mph = 8.5 mpg. This is for good conditions, deduct more for hills, wind, and towing. Our toad is a honda accord, it costs about 1/2 mpg to tow it. So, in short we get about 8 mpg.

2019 Winnebago Travato class B (on 2018 dodge promaster chassis)
With a gas 3.6 v6 Pentastar motor with 6sp auto (that’s the same v6 dodge uses in many vehicles - base 1/2 ton pickup, Cherokee Chief, Grand Caravan, etc.)
My van loaded out is around 8-9 thousand lbs.
I’ve got 15k miles on it.
I’ve been averaging 3k miles a month, about 3/4 of that is interstate.
The numbers below are flat ground.
If I drive 65 I can average 17mpg
If I drive 70-74 it drops to 14-15mpg
75 plus it really drops to like 13
If it’s hilly it drops another 10%.

2fac6978697e2e5cd6630519b7da708a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our 2002 Class C E450 chassis with Triton V10 gets about 8mpg on average... that motor sure is thirsty! ;)

In our experience, most class C RVs get 6-8 MPG and most class B Rvs get 14-20 MPG.

Just for fun, I have a 7300 lb (max) SUV towing a 9000 lb (max) trailer and get about 9 mpg doing 65. If I slow down it goes up a bit but I've never really needed/wanted to :) SUV gets about 14-15 otherwise (she is thirsty, lol)

My 1 ton Cummins 12 valve in thhe dodge wrapper towed/hauled 20,000#+ of machine shop equip so I had to drive with OD off. It usually gets 24 but it just broke 20.4 hauling that much plus the truck weight.

Don’t focus on MPG, it’s all a compromise in the end. One can change their travel tactics to adjust to fuel expense.

On a recent trip across the USA and down into Mexico my diesel fuel costs averaged 0.26 cents per mile. In Mexico, rarely do I drive over 50 MPH, I can push the fuel tank over 600 miles.

https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/rv-gas-mileage/

I have an old 2 valve Triton v-10 in my 1999, 36 ft Tropical MH. If conditions are right it gets surprisingly good gas mileage for its size. On flat level interstate, with empty tanks, without my toad it gets up to 10 mpg at 55-60 mph. But that is the best case scenario. Everything goes downhill from there, but not too rapidly as long as I stay out of the mountains. I usually travel with about 50-100 gallons of water and a toad which returns a best of 9mpg on the flat and level. Of course if there's a lot of stop and go or hill climbing I'm lucky to get 7-8.

The way I control my fuel expenses is to go 200-500 hundred miles to my destination and stay put for a a couple weeks to a month, using my 30mpg toad to explore the area, shop, etc. - the 2.4l Chevy Cobalt that used to be my tow vehicle when I had my Aliner. Not only is gas more budgetable that way but I've found RV parks and campgrounds are more affordable at least a week at a time. Monthly CG fees are best when available. COE parks are my favorite so far. They are beautiful, affordable, underutilized and some are even free. I budget $350/mo for my campsite and $90/mo for electricity. So far I've been able to stay well within that budget with the help of Passport America and the America the Beautiful Senior Discount. If I ever go over, such as in a couple months when I'll be visiting family in California, I'll boondock some and use county parks to stretch my budget. I'm staying in a super nice county park in western NC now, on a beautiful lake with full hookups and great wifi for only $100/wk. Life is good.

Also it's not just mpg you must consider, but fuel prices. Recently in the southeast I've been paying between $2.10 and $2.50/gallon for regular gas. Add almost dollar per gallon to that in some parts of California. Gas buddy is your buddy. If I had a diesel I would get a little better fuel mileage but spend maybe 50 cents more on average per gallon. Plus oil, fuel filter changes and other maintenance/repairs on a diesel are far more expensive than a gas engine, taking back the savings at the pump. Of course a diesel has other advantages, but overall cost/mile is not one. At least it wasn't for me when I had one.

Chip

Latest posts