Got my class-B RV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpruet

Reaction score
Well, I bought a 2018 21 ft. Travato 59K class-B.  I was debating between getting a class-B RV or doing a DIY van conversion and finally chose the Travato.  I decided that I could afford the purchase without significantly impacting my retirement nest egg and wasn't sure that I could do a good job on a DIY project.  (I'm not that good with woodwork or electricity.)

I had a 37 foot class-A, and it had turned into a money pit.  It was older and required a new washing machine, hot water heater, fridge, window, sofa bed, fan, etc.  Also I had to replace all tires and recently had to replace the engine fuel pressure regulator, drive shaft, and starter relay.  While my wife and I took it to Alaska last year, she was fairly definite that she didn't want to do any long trips in the RV again.  I didn't take the rig anywhere this past year, but instead did the Prius camping thing all summer long.  While the Prius Car Camping (l'Hotel Prius) worked fine, it became really cramped when I took my dog with me.  So I opted for the Travato.

I had seriously thought about doing a van conversion, but wanted to be able to have my wife be able to fly to one of my destinations and stay with me in whatever my rig was.  I felt that my wife would need more comforts than I could provide in a DYI van conversion.  I just couldn't see my wife using a prota-potty, so I opted for the Travato 59K.  It has a layout that is quite similar to a lot of the DIY conversions that I have seen.  It is not so cramped like most class-B's are.  

It has t20 size-31 AGM batteries for the house system with 100 Watt Zamp solar on the roof.  The batteries can be charged from solar, the alternator, or the generator.  I suspect that initially I'll be forced to top-off the batteries from the generator in the evenings because I doubt that a 100 Watt panel will be enough.  There are two additional plugs in on the roof, but not too much real-estate space.  There is an additional Zamp plug on the side of the van for portable solar panels.  I'm hoping to make it to RTR so will probably be looking for solar upgrades when I get there.

Nice, there's a dealer near me that sells them. They are impressive looking. Why not give an update and some photos as to how it is to live with? Be interested in following.

mpruet said:
It has t20 size-31 AGM batteries for the house system with 100 Watt Zamp solar on the roof.  The batteries can be charged from solar, the alternator, or the generator.  I suspect that initially I'll be forced to top-off the batteries from the generator in the evenings because I doubt that a 100 Watt panel will be enough.  There are two additional plugs in on the roof, but not too much real-estate space.  There is an additional Zamp plug on the side of the van for portable solar panels.  I'm hoping to make it to RTR so will probably be looking for solar upgrades when I get there.

Thanks for posting.  I have an older Class B and am troubleshooting the existing solar (100w panel with a converter (maybe) and rudimentary controller (lights only) and am hoping to upgrade as well.  Wanting the ability to boondock for longer periods, I feel it's important to keep my batteries as quality and as healthy as possible.  That you have AGMs and that your panel is a high quality Zamp, I see as a huge plus, also like the convenience you are getting from the exterior plug.  This will be my first RTR so I will be out in generator-running land as well, grateful to be able to power a small electric coffee pot while charging in the morning and conserving everywhere else I can.  I think it will be ok.  Congrats on a great rig!

I love the rear bath on the 59k. Keep us updated on how you like driving it, any issues, etc. And pics........we love pics!

Dgorila1 said:
I love the rear bath on the 59k. Keep us updated on how you like driving it, any issues, etc. And pics........we love pics!

I take ownership on Thursday.  It's going through final dealer inspection and touch-up work currently. After I bring it home I'll start loading it up, but probably won't do any customization for a while.  I like to live in a place for a while to get a feel for it before I start making adjustments.  So the initial pictures will be pretty much like the manufacture's brochures. 

I do like some of the things that fitrv.com has done with their's so may copy some of their customization.

Very nice! It doesn't look like a van inside, more like a small class c. Congratulations. Looks very comfortable and practical for two.

mpruet said:
Well, I bought a 2018 21 ft. Travato 59K class-B.
Congrats!  So exciting to get something NEW!
I also love the layout on the 59K.  The rear bath is great and the twin beds that convert are awesome...I love the way you can raise the head of the bed and how it has USB ports and a place to put your device to charge while you sleep!  Well thought out!
When it's time to build a van, I'm going to copy the layout, I think!