Is a class C wider than a B+?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntiGroundhogDay

Reaction score
While I'd prefer a Class B for MPG and especially for fitting into a standard parking space.... I can't ignore the price drop when I move from searching for used Class Bs to B+ & C.

I realize a Class B is using the original Van structure and is better built than a stick built, cutaway, class B+ or C, but I suppose they all can't be crap and some are quite decent.

I also realize a B+ or C is not stealthy, but let's be honest, a traditional Class B sticks out as well as compared to a cargo van in a city.

With that said, I want to fit ~as best I can~ into a regular parking space.  Do B+ RVs tend to be more narrow than a Class C?  These ads tend to give very little information/specs.

I'm only considering RVs less than 21ft long.

Thanks.

AntiGroundhogDay said:
 Do B+ RVs tend to be more narrow than a Class C?  These ads tend to give very little information/specs.

I'm only considering RVs less than 21ft long.

The short answer is yes, a class B will usually be narrower, even if it listed as a 'widebody', than a comparable Class C.

A Class B+ might be narrower, or it might be the same.

The long answer:

Just about every recent Class C will have dual rear wheels, and be about 8 feet wide.

A Class B+ on a similar Ford or Chevy Chassis with duals will be about as wide as a Class C with duals, but if youre looking at a Sprinter, Promaster, or Transit based B+, then they will generally be a bit narrower than a 'normal' Class B+ on a standard, and older design, dual rear wheel chassis.

Yes, some of these latest B+ coaches built on a Sprinter or Transit WILL have dual rear wheels, and sometimes will be wider due to expanded body panels and things like running boards and fender flares.

Its confusing....I know.

Bottom line:

If you want to able to easily park in standard parking spaces, and on downtown or residential streets, you probably want to stay in the Class B or smaller B+ category, and avoid a rig with duals.

My class c is 100" wide by 22' long. Fits in parking stalls ok. So, that's only 14" on each side wider than my Silverado pickup. Pretty easy to drive!

Mirrors are your widest point. Depends on the year and make; the mirrors can prohibit "fitting" parking spaces.

You'll most likely have to go on a case-by-case basis as the line between Class B+ and Class C can be very fine, half the time they aren't even referring to them properly in ads.

There are shorty class As also. I had a 20' class A and absolutely loved it. Same width as a class C, except the drivers area had a lot more room, mine had an L shaped couch where the passenger seat would be.

For example:

9e9e5f72d0cd4c204f9db6ec0946da30.jpg

sephson said:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't a Class B+ technically a Class C?

B+ is hybrid of a B and C. B+ without the over cab sleeping.

Phoenix class B+ is 93" wide & for comparison Forest River Forester class C is 101" wide. Coach House class B+ is 96" wide.

Additionally, the Coach House dimension is listed as overall exterior width.

Since class B plus motorhomes are built on cutaway chassis, some of them resemble little class C motorhomes almost as much as they do big class B rigs. Instead of having the smooth body lines of a camper van, class B plus motorhomes often have the stepped, boxier appearance of a class C rig. However, the fact that class B plus motorhomes aren’t as wide as class C rigs means that the stepped, boxy appearance isn’t quite as pronounced.

The other main difference, the lack of a cabover bunk, differentiates class B plus motorhomes from class C rigs. Since class C motorhomes are so much taller than your typical camper van, designers are able to extend the roof of the coach over the roof of the cab. This overhang typically extends the full length of the vehicle, all the way over the front windshield and hood, although they are usually angled to provide an at least somewhat aerodynamic profile. The extra space this creates is then used for a sleeping berth, storage, or both.