Article w/ Bob Wells in today's Guardian

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit that I did not read the article yet but just scanned it. And I have to admit that I’m torn between two theories. One is that the more publicity and exposure our community gets the more the government and the world are going to try to change us or control us. The other one is optimistic but I can’t seem to get over my fear of the first one being right. I’m just sharing what’s on my mind not trying to open a can of worms.

The media is always pretty desperate for stories to write about. There is only a tiny trickle of new film releases this year. These two facts mean that any film will generate attention and a film that includes people struggling to find some happiness in desparate times of finacial stress is going to be a story that freelance and in house writers can sell to their publishers. Of course Bob wants it to sell as wel, he still wants more people to adopt the lifestyle to show them an alternative way to live. So he will be doing lots of interviews.

Of course there will be consequences from the increasing amounts of people on unimproved lands, but not this winter. It wont be until the spring that things start to get crazier. Then if a lot of the camp sites are still closed the pressure on the open ones will be very noticeable, just like it was last summer but even more so. But the film is just one more cause , and a fairly minor one, that is going to contribute to the increased numbers of people out camping on the free camping lands. So don't blame it all on the film, there are many bigger factors driving it, as in gone stir crazy bonkers population who needs to have thrifty vacations away from home. When you got to get out of the house and city where else can you go but to the beach, forest, mountains?

Of c ourse the timeweill come when the eviction morotorium is up. That will send many people immediately into living out of their vehicles. But ast least the film will give t hem some ideas of how to manage it. The film won't be the major social cause of them adopting the lifestyle.

My concern was different than the number of people that are going to be added to our ranks. It’s the exposure we get to the public. the more aware “the public” are of our type of lifestyle the more possibilities of controls and regulations. I like flying low under the radar.

^^^ l think since the pandemic has caused a revolutionary change in where people work living in an RV remotely working may become the norm for many probably more affluent new middle class people as they realize how cheaply they can live compared to a $300,000 house in town. If low wage workers end up making enough with the increase in minimum wage to afford rent as opposed to living in their car many will do that as those jobs tend to be in person and stationary. I think it is likely we will see some changes in life on the road.

I just read the article and understand Bob's point of view.  We all come to this in different ways and from different backgrounds.  And not all of us are full time at it either, yet some of us it when necessary if job hunting in the real world becomes necessary.  So many of the companies where I live go out of business, move, or have massive layoff's and having this skill/mindset is quite an asset to overcome that adversity. 

A lot of people where I live work for the CSX railroad and get laid off from occasionally for several months at a time.  They hop in their rig and travel a few hundred miles up into Ohio and find jobs to work until such time that they are called back.  Those stuck with a lot of seniority often come back while others who don't often relocate all together.  But if they are laid off again there, they know how to hop in their rigs and go job hunting once again.  I know some who started with a Van rig and in time moved up to a larger Class C towing a small car or pickup truck  behind it.

Hunting for a job was what brought me to the Van scene.  In those times most of the Van culture was thought of as being "Hippie Sin Bins" (of sex, drugs, & rock & roll) with outrageous paint schemes and LEO's were always checking them out.  My rig looked more like it was for camping, fishing, and touring.
plain solid color paint scheme and the interior could be removed to make it back into a cargo van so it looked respectable.

In those times people traveling & living out of their cars wasn't as common as it was in Europe.  Often VW Bug's had modified front seats that would lay back to make a bed of sorts.  Folding gear shift kits
were common with this conversion and many removed the rear seat back to have plenty of unobstructed room.  But circumstances are seeing growth in people living out of their cars.

This experience is what I brought with me to CRVL.

One of the first threads I started was in "Matters of the Heart" titled "Choosing to be single and on the road".  It got quite a response.  This was long before Covid.

I had started the "Van Conversion" website on another forum (see it at the bottom)  for some much younger people who were "stuck" in the great recession much like those Bob's article reflects on.

Later I put together the edjsautoservices site as a portal to help those with rigs but not enough experience to know how to go about going on the road.  I had once thought of rolling all of this information into a booklet to publish and sell.  Much like those little 6 x 3 1/2 inch novelty booklets like you see at the grocery store check out counters with titles like, "Is your cat psychic?", "Oriental Horoscope 2020", "Mysteries of the Bible" etc for $1 dollar.  But I saw the need for this information as being too great and immediate to just make a small profit to a limited audience.

Presently I'm trying to develop a thread in "Off-Topic Chit-Chat",  "Education & Skills needed to work online from your Rig".   During this pandemic I've read so many stories of people never wanting to go back to the office if they can work remotely.  Some can work with a computer while other with trade skills  for working outdoors or in shops may only live out of their Rig's.  Some may even work in Maritime industries where they are on large boats for a month on and a month off, returning to their Rig for a month of free time to do whatever.

This is the side of Cheap RV Living I'd like to promote. As the saying goes, "Ya gotta trade, ya got it made".  (but you may have to travel frequently to stay employed)  A remote worker with office skills
may share in the same advantages.  (provided the employer doesn't require you coming to the office)
The "Branding" of a frugal RV lifestyle shouldn't necessarily have to be indicative of poverty.  Further it should be stressed (as Bob suggest in the article) that those in financial hardships can use this lifestyle to "bootstrap" themselves back into a more comfortable & secure life.  Retraining may be necessary but there is so much of this now FREE online. (with certifications)

The signature at the bottom contains the other two sites

Choosing to be Single and on the Road

Education & Skills needed to work online from your Rig

The less glamorized this life is the better. I wouldn't expect a huge influx of folks into a roaming lifestyle, maybe more parked in the city, living in a car or van, but not traveling. It gets expensive wondering all over the countryside every couple weeks.

Result IMO is first medium size cities then small towns and villages passing laws against all overnight parking.

Regardless, more publicity screws the pooch for Van lifers. And that's why I don't share my favorite hideouts. I don't want them overrun next year.

just my 2¢

While I don’t share all of Bobs views, I can see his heart. He truly has a heart for the people in need. Nomadic life isn’t for everyone, but it sure has gotten a lot of people in a more healthy situation. Yes, pooping in a bucket far outweighs living month to month and getting deeper and deeper in debt.
I’ll be able to move into my truck camper full time soon. When it’s subzero f and at night in the -30’s it is a good time to be in the little cabin I built for my kids. I’ll be shoving off in a week in just my truck for a bit, but will come back to move into my camper and turn this place over to my kids... (and make some maple syrup, haha). I hope to spend time in the arrowhead area of Minnesota not far from where I live. I’ll likely retire from volunteer fire department and move forward with my life. Should my kids decide to sell this place, I have places I can live nomadically and can basically keep a seasonal job here. Whether you live in a sticks & bricks or in your van down by the river... it’s about community and such and Bob I think has brought many people together as have a number of others. So, nice interview Bob... and safe travels all. I hope to meet many in the coming days, weeks and years God willing, and I pray this pandemic will not displace too many folks...

A candle loses nothing by lighting another.
      - James Keller
Please don't worry much about what might be or what might happen.
Be a candle willing to light another!

Today alone I had 3 people stop by my camp with the same introduction "I'm new at this and was wondering _________ "

I lived in a van in the 90s, it was very stigmatized, “down by the river” “dirty hippies” most people hid and were very stealth, I still am. In the 90s we still had Forest Service shutting down sites, police passing laws, etc. Same system, Same stuff it was in general more aggressive.

Fast forward 2010-2020 we had Instagram glamorizing “van life” “skoolie life”, more people becoming homeless and living in vehicles. I don't see anything worse just more volume and less stigma.

As I am older I still operate stealthily but feel like Why Hide ..? I do not have the same psychological fear and see the fear as a tool the system uses to repress a class of people that do not generate enough money for the system.

It is true that more volume in public lands = more closure but the volume is also general public use which has skyrocketed.

Don’t get me wrong I’m deeply grateful to Bob. He’s helped thousands of people including me but I saw an old interview with him from at least several years ago in which the interviewer asked him how much he made. Bob refused to answer but the guy kept upping the number and Bob kept saying more and when he got to $75,000 and Bob said more the interviewer stopped asking.
Since then his channel has really blown up. I remember 3,000 subscribers now he’s edging towards half a million so he’s making bank and I’m wondering what he’s doing with it since he’s always saying he doesn’t care about money.

Interesting because $100,000 (and since $75,000 wasn’t close I’m guessing) seems like more could be done then. Perhaps I’m mistaken but I thought the minivans were donated as was the labor.
My donations go to small animal rescue groups.
The money aspect is of interest to me since Bob has made it clear what he thinks of our current system.

Not to mention it takes a lot of money to put on a RTR, there are always hidden costs. Bob mentioned this on one of videos. That is why he moved the RTR to the other site.

LERCA said:
Don’t get me wrong I’m deeply grateful to Bob. He’s helped thousands of people including me but I saw an old interview with him from at least several years ago in which the interviewer asked him how much he made. Bob refused to answer but the guy kept upping the number and Bob kept saying more and when he got to $75,000 and Bob said more the interviewer stopped asking.
Since then his channel has really blown up. I remember 3,000 subscribers now he’s edging towards half a million so he’s making bank and I’m wondering what he’s doing with it since he’s always saying he doesn’t care about money.

I can't pretend that I know much about Bob's finances but I can give you a little more insight. I think this is the video that you watched - https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/how-some-older-americans-are-monetizing-their-vanlife    It was shot at the 2020 RTR at the fairgrounds so it's only a year old.

Bob mentions in his latest live feed ( at the 51-minute mark) that he has given HOWA $100,000 over the last two years. 

He is also planning on contributing a large amount towards buying land whenever land that fits the criteria for HOWA is found.

LERCA said:
Interesting because $100,000 (and since $75,000 wasn’t close I’m guessing) seems like more could be done then. Perhaps I’m mistaken but I thought the minivans were donated as was the labor.
My donations go to small animal rescue groups.
The money aspect is of interest to me since Bob has made it clear what he thinks of our current system.

HOWA does accept vehicle donations, but they also buy mini-vans to give away.

Many not-for-profits accept vehicles as donations, as they can always be turned into money, running or not.

There are a few people in this world that are happy without many material things. Bob appears to be one of those, after all he is driving around and living in an old van most of the time on public land. He has done a ton for this community for many years. Thank you Bob Wells!