apple rant

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

closeanuf

Reaction score
Wednesday my iphone 5c wouldn't send text messages so I turned it off and then turned it back on nothing so I did it again still no help so I went to the Verizon store for help.  My phone wanted my itunes password which I never use and didn't have it written down anywhere.  The person helping me asked for my password said I didn't know so we started guessing at words(not a good idea)  The phone locked up and so she called apple.  Bottom line my phone may be locked for as much as TWENTY days and I'm at their mercy.  My phone can receive calls and nothing else.  My contacts are lost, pictures are locked up and I'm screwed and they could care less.  I'm getting rid of the iphone and getting another brand but I cannot retrieve my contacts or pictures until they in all their benevolence decide to do it.  I'm finding how addicted I have become to my phone.  I am amazed at how much control companies like apple has managed to steal from us with our blessing because they have made it "easy" and we just give away our control to them.  I know they could care less about me being inconvenienced but I will make every effort to never again spend any of my money with them and try to discourage others from spending their money with apple!!!!!!!!!!

That's a bummer. It's never convenient when your devices lock you out. It sounds like having your password(s) written down somewhere that you could have retrieved it/them when you needed it might have been a good idea. Phone security is getting more and more important, and more and more stringent. It's a nuisance at the very least... but may protect you from some forms of identity theft and other fraud.

And I'm sorry, but that's not an Apple problem. That's a documented feature so that if your phone is stolen, the bad guys can't just guess at your password(s) until they get in. And if you have your phone backed up, either to a PC/MacBook, the iCloud, or Verizon's cloud, you should be able to restore all of your data quickly and easily. I'm not an Android fan, and I've never had an Android phone, but I'd hope that they'd have a similarly secure setup. If they don't I'd never own one.

Get a dog tag made up with your password

I'm not an apple fan. Password issues again and again. This is after using the same one for years on non-critical stuff. Like, duh, I know my password, it's the same one, yet I had to call again and again to get it unlocked and reset (to the same one) only to have the issue the next time I logged in. Right now, all the legally bought music from apple I let them freaking keep because the pain in the rear to get to it wasn't worth it to me anymore. This was like 10 years ago, and I go out of my way to not pay in to the 'apple cult' anymore. Yes, I am fully prepared to have rotten 'apple's' thrown my way for apple-hate. I'll live, and quite happily with my android.

As a side funny note, my dislike of all things apple led to a butthole putting an apple sticker on the back of my car a few years ago as a funny. It's still there. I didn't even care to give it my time enough to scrape it off, haha.

closeanuf said:
  My phone wanted my itunes password which I never use and didn't have it written down anywhere.  
I think they're trying to get everybody synced into itunes or something, and have a glitch in the system. I had an ipad that was basically unused in the box, well, I did use it a few times without any problems, but it stayed mostly in the closet. I decided to give it to a young lady for her birthday. Luckily we went to the Apple store to transfer it, because it didn't allow anything to be done without the password. Fair enough, but it still wouldn't allow me in even using the password that I knew was right. Mine also wanted a password for itunes? I have never used itunes in my life, so how could I have an itunes password? After convincing them it really was mine via invoice from them shipping it to me when I bought it, the guy wiped it so the girl could input her own password. I told her to write it down somewhere so she doesn't forget, and Happy Birthday.
I'm pretty much done with Apple too after that fiasco.

This might sound stupid, but check and see if your phones date and time match the actual date and time, other than the account lockout, sounds familiar to an issue I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ballenxj said:
I think they're trying to get everybody synced into itunes or something, and have a glitch in the system. I had an ipad that was basically unused in the box, well, I did use it a few times without any problems, but it stayed mostly in the closet. I decided to give it to a young lady for her birthday. Luckily we went to the Apple store to transfer it, because it didn't allow anything to be done without the password. Fair enough, but it still wouldn't allow me in even using the password that I knew was right. Mine also wanted a password for itunes? I have never used itunes in my life, so how could I have an itunes password? After convincing them it really was mine via invoice from them shipping it to me when I bought it, the guy wiped it so the girl could input her own password. I told her to write it down somewhere so she doesn't forget, and Happy Birthday.
I'm pretty much done with Apple too after that fiasco.

As I said, I'm pretty new to the Apple world...  and the transition has not been without its head scratchers... but it appears that everything you buy is coordinated through your Apple account which is linked to iTunes/iCloud.  Likely, when you set the iPad up the first time, it asked you for a password for your Apple account.  For the uninitiated, and those who don't use the devices often, it can be confusing for sure. 

I absolutely detested Apple's OS coming from first the CP/M and later MS-DOS world.  And later, working on Macs was SUCH a pain I stayed away altogether.  It wasn't until just about four or five months ago when I needed a laptop with a firewire 800 port capability that I was "forced" into a MacBook Pro, even though I've had iPhones and later iPads for about four years now.  I was even a late comer to the iPhone world after refusing to give up my candy-bar phones for years.  But now that I'm getting used to the integration and relative consistency of the applications and OS, I have to say that I really like the short learning curve, and the level of integration among the various devices and iCloud features.  The android/windows world seems like such a chaotic mess in comparison.

hepcat said:
As I said, I'm pretty new to the Apple world...  and the transition has not been without its head scratchers... but it appears that everything you buy is coordinated through your Apple account which is linked to iTunes/iCloud.  Likely, when you set the iPad up the first time, it asked you for a password for your Apple account.  
<-------->
I have to say that I really like the short learning curve, and the level of integration among the various devices and iCloud features.  The android/windows world seems like such a chaotic mess in comparison.
I'm sure it did ask for a password when I set it up, but they also asked certain security questions, like the city you were born in, what was your first pets name, etc. It seems I couldn't even answer those correctly according to them, so I wrote them off.
In the PC world, iphones, android phones, ipads, and laptops are all computers, and like the old saying goes, you can screw things up yourself, but to screw them up really badly requires a computer.
I guess I'm just an Android and Windows (Win Doze) kind of guy.

cyndi said:
Can't wait to have an android again. I've hated the iphone since the day i purchased it.  More fun down the road Aplle won't be supporting the iphone 5 much longer

https://appadvice.com/post/iphone-5-iphone-5c/745161

Reading that article, apparently they'll be supported until at least the release of IOS 11.  A four-year run on any phone isn't bad.  Android phones are typically only supported for two years by their manufacturers.  And four years, in tech-speak, is an eternity.

A pretty sad state of affairs when a device that otherwise would still work fine stops because the a corporation needs to make more money. Whether it's mfg , provider or ??

It doesn't stop working.  I have a friend who is still using his iPhone 4 which Apple stopped supporting at least three or four years ago.  They just stop updating the operating system software.  It's no different with Windows and Android.  The current processors in the Apple world are 64 bit, and the phones up to the 5c were 32 bit.  The phones will work just fine, they'll just be left on the last iteration of iOS 10 before 11 is introduced.  The old hardware just isn't competent to run the new versions of the operating system and applications. Actually I still have an iPod that is somewhere back on iOS 4 point something or other.  It still plays music quite nicely and is over ten years old now.

Ballenxj said:
Making you feel any older yet? :p

It still belts CCR and CSNY out really well.  Yeah, I feel old.  <grin>

hepcat said:
It still belts CC&R and CSNY out really well.  Yeah, I feel old.  <grin>

Credence Clearwater and Crosby. Stills. Nash, & Young? Who are those guys? You must be old. :)

Ballenxj said:
Credence Clearwater and Crosby. Stills. Nash, & Young? Who are those guys? You must be old. :)

Old man take a look at my life, I'm a lot like you...   :D