Anyone know about "Election stoves"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gr8ful

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is way off topic but I haven't been able to find anything on a 1/2 size pot belly stove with election stove molded into the cast iron. It looks unused & I know in Lincoln's day they had voting sheds aka houses & think maybe this is what it was made for but I'm not sure. Any & all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I know this is way off topic but I haven't been able to find anything on a 1/2 size pot belly stove with election stove molded into the cast iron. It looks unused & I know in Lincoln's day they had voting sheds aka houses & think maybe this is what it was made for but I'm not sure. Any & all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
That would have been name of the manufacturer and it likely has zero to do with being used in an election shed. Makers of that era and even this era design cast iron stoves in several sizes. That is because the spaces they are used in can vary in size. I know back in the years I used to visit antique shops there were soft cover books being sold that had reference list for all the makers of antique cast iron stoves, both the kitchen range style, the smaller parlor pot belly sizes and the larger one room cabin styles. It could be you might find such a book in an antique shop. Possibly for sale but nowadays more likely to be in shop owner’s personal reference libraries.

Another place to look free digital copies for old publications including things such as manufacturers’ catalogs is on the website archive.org. They do have a search feature on the website. It has been about 25 years since I had any interest in going into antique stores but I have not forgotten how to do background research on antiques.

Last edited:
Thanks Maki2! That's great info as I've tried forums, searches & found nothing. We have a Home Comfort cook stove in the kitchen that works great. The house was built in 1890 but I think the cook stove is from about 1920.

the popularity of “antiques” has steadily dwindled since the mid 1990s. The baby boom generation and their young adult children started craving mid century modern pieces and danish modern. Those prices rose and Victorian and the Craftsman era prices crashed. They are just too fussy and “countertop” for current taste. But their is some interest in Western style…in the West for mountain vacation retreats.

Last edited: