thinking about getting a new skill

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Copyeditor.
Started out working for newspapers, ended up freelancing for (sigh) nonprofits, also think tanks.
Theoretically I'm still working part-time, but I haven't been doing much marketing so I'm barely keeping the "semi" in "semiretired";)

Do taxes for people, you'll be busy for a few months & free the rest of the year.

You sound like you have had bad experiences with nonprofits. I work at a nonprofit and just so you know there have been some "volunteers" who make the director's cringe. So, if some of the folks you have had to deal with are less than enthusiastic, they may have their reasons.
We had one guy who just wanted to work on the roof, seriously, it was a new roof. One that soon was asking who of the mostly female staff were single... gave one of the less then worldly ladies herpes then just disappeared. Ya we didn't miss him. One senior fella was there to ' help' the poor boys that needed a good male roll model, he was a macho a$$. and did not get the job. I don't think we even need to talk about the lady that was there to work off her community service time. Let's just say the time she spent smoking in the parking lot was the high point.
None of these folks had been allowed to work with the kids thank heavens but that was what they wanted.
Keep looking for something that fits and it may not start at the spot you hope for first off. We also had a few really great helpers, but it is hard to find those. And they had to go through a VERY rigorous background and temperament test before they got close to any kidos

Yeah, there's definitely something about the presence of vulnerable people that attracts crazies and charlatans like moths to the flame. Not the pretty picture you see in the movies, or in the news.

Wish it wasn't so, but hey, realism first.

All the more reason (for me; I'm not telling anyone else what to do) to get a specific skill. Which was the reason for this thread. So thanks again for the brainstorming suggestions, and especially to the person who said don't be too quick to give up on Plan A if you really want it. I'm actually pretty excited that it might still be on the table.

So it turns out that upper body strength, not age, might be the real deciding factor for EMT. I talked to one program head who said there is (or was) an 89-year-old EMT somewhere in West Texas. So that was encouraging! I can't do much about age but I can do something (up to a point) about upper body strength. And maybe learn some anatomy so the "book learning" part of it is not too much of a struggle and I can focus on the physical skills.

So I need to up my currently somewhat pitiful arm exercises. I love walking etc. but loathe stationary exercise, so ick. But with a goal that's not just pie in the sky, I think I can manage.
Is that much planning and preparation needed? Why not just enroll in an EMT certification program at a nearby junior college? It's not that academically or physically rigorous (I've done it).

I think you may be psyching yourself out... Just do it!

https://www.seafarers.org/training-and-careers/admissions/apprentice-program-overview/
I'm semi retired. My job allows me to work as little or as much as I want. It's unionized work on commercial ships. Pays well, includes room and board while at sea, and gives me that magical combination of lots of money and lots of free time. The training is also free at the union school but takes almost 2 years. Only catch is you have to pass a physical twice a year to get FFD (fit for duty). Since it's a union there are no age restrictions. As long as you can pass the physicals, you're good.

You do not have to develop new skills. You just need to modify them into new areas and outlets that work for travel.

When my son and his wife were traveling full time I encouraged him to write travel articles for pay. It worked, he became a regular, paid contributor to the website Outdoorsy. His personal travel blog became his portfolio for getting writing assignments. He also began writing other articles for information for State agencies, hospitals and such, all freelance contracts. As he wrote on his blog about staying healthy and safe while traveling during Covid that opened the door to writing and researching various topics for freelance work.

https://www.seafarers.org/training-and-careers/admissions/apprentice-program-overview/
I'm semi retired. My job allows me to work as little or as much as I want. It's unionized work on commercial ships. Pays well, includes room and board while at sea, and gives me that magical combination of lots of money and lots of free time. The training is also free at the union school but takes almost 2 years. Only catch is you have to pass a physical twice a year to get FFD (fit for duty). Since it's a union there are no age restrictions. As long as you can pass the physicals, you're good.
What are the physicals like? Can an.older guy (60s) get in to the school program?

I was hired to cook for Ingram Barge & Towing and am more than 60. Just depends on what you would be doing.

In the town I came from (Huntington, WV) Mountwest Community Tech College has a Maratime school that people from all over come there to take training. They usually have employers lined up to hire their grads as soon as they graduate. Many of these are short certification courses. Give this a look.

I know one woman who came up here after we spoke. She's a cook for ACBL and wants to be a Captain. She got her training and is now working as a steers-person for a Ferry Boat line on the Great Lakes on the months off when she isn't cooking for ACBL. Her second job on the Ferry Boat is to log time towards he becoming a Pilot and from there to a Captain.

MCTC Maratime Academy

Last edited:
Morgana, I'm sorry I missed this thread originally. This is the advice I used to give to many that would ask me for it.

Make the opportunity you want instead of spending all your time hoping someone has already done it. You have a strong sense of what you would actually want to do, which is help people from the sounds of it. And you have seen that a lot of the lower level non profits don't have their act together firsthand unfortunately.

My thought is that I'm certain there are many like you that have had similar experiences and now share your state of mind. Here are a couple ideas that came to mind in reading this thread.

Start a service for volunteers like you wanted to be. Yes, you helping an organization is a good thing. But think of all of the people like you that have had so many less than ideal experiences trying to help. If you can find the places that are worth helping. The ones that don't waste your time and effort. Can you imagine how many people you might be able to reactivate into trying again? How good would that be? That's you multiplied bt so many more. That is worthwhile.

Go to these places like you have been.
Document and do articles and videos on each experience. Rate them in various ways that make sense to you. Are the mobile life friendly? Do they actually have anything worthwhile for someone to do? Are you efforts going to be worthwhile? Are they able and willing to work with older volunteers? Those with physical issues?

That will help so many people feel like they can be helpful without having to deal with the crap. Or the disappoint that comes with the high of wanting to help and finding what you have found. That it isn't always easy to find a good place to help.

Keep looking Morgana. Document it all. Make it into your non profit business. Get donations to support your business. Get sponsors once you establish yourself. This is an important missing service.

Yes there are websites that have people rate things. But they rate where they are. Not compared to other situations.
The true believers for a cause will rate a crap situation 5 stars as long as they align with the mission statement. So there is a need for unbiased information for people in your exact situation. Semi retired and wanting to be active and helpful. But don't want to deal with the BS. Become Morgana the Machete and cut through the crap for those that don't know how!

Every video, post, information given on your own personal experience will help many others. Your negative experience will save time and effort for others. Your positive experience will allow good people to help good organizations right away.

There is one Morgana. If you can inspire just 2-3 people on the fence to do what you have been going to do, then you've multiplied your effort.

You have the background and skill set to do this. And it sounds like you might even have some contacts. Maybe try to get a grant to assist.

Yes I know this is probably not what you were thinking about. But if you can help more people help more people, that's a very good thing.

In case you are uncertain of your ability to do this, think on this for a moment.

Bob was just some dude that wanted to do something and had some insight in how to do it after trial and error. He decided to show people how to help themselves in doing that thing. I think that turned pretty well. And this site started as a simple blog, not all of what you found here. Pretty positive he had no idea where it would lead and how much, and how many it would help.

There are more people wanting to be helpful than there are people doing van life. Every bit helps.

Last edited:
These are excellent thoughts, HappyCamper. I'm not sure that's what I want to do (because of some of the more selfish things that happen to also be on my wishlist), but it's definitely brilliant. And I got a good fat laugh, which I sorely needed!, out of "Morgana the Machete":ROFLMAO:

Thanks also for the reality check. I keep thinking "this MUST be happening to other people too," but I never hear anyone talk about it. Well, maybe for the reasons you mentioned.

To pick an example that's way in the past so maybe easier to talk about -- I really wanted to volunteer after Katrina. One of the largest and best known national organizations called a recruitment meeting in the city where I lived. I took time off work, went and listened to their weird little spiel ("you may not want to go there! they have snakes!" -- I am not making this up) -- gave my info, and waited, and waited ... called, and got snarked off on the phone ... went in person and found that someone had created literally file drawers full of beautifully color-coordinated volunteer folders -- and as far as I know they never sent a single soul to the Gulf.

So I decided (not my first bad idea, and for $%^ sure not my last) to go with a small grass-roots organization, got a gig, and drove down to Mississippi.

Well, the management was feuding. Some person who I'm guessing had a major mental health diagnosis involving impaired reality testing was wandering around the camp "orienting" newcomers. The guy in charge had a major drinking problem. (The impaired-reality-testing chick had to drive him home from the picturesque disaster-zone bar to the romantically austere campsite, because he was flat-out drunk.) The shift boss was religious and forced everyone (volunteers + aid recipients) to pray before work. He was also a sexist pig who wouldn't assign me tasks. And if I used initiative to find my own tasks, I got scolded.

That was on the rare occasion when they could find us projects at all -- three months after Katrina, and Drunk Boss Guy was saying there were no houses left to muck out (BS -- there were still houses to muck out years later -- he was just unable to find them). They even had us working for a real estate agent, which you might remember was considered a huge ethical no-no back then, out of desperation to have anything to do.

Fortunately it was just before Christmas and I had gone down there with a car full of give-aways -- I took most of my doll collection, and friends had donated art supplies and other stuff -- so I had good fun walking around giving those away. Otherwise it would have been a complete sickening loss.

Frustration (desperation?) just mounted and mounted until one morning when I was dragging a board to the trash pile and Pushy Religious Guy said "Don't touch that, hon, it's got nails in it" and before I knew it my feet had taken me back to the campsite and I was packing. I called Drunk Boss Guy in tears and he made up some lame excuse not to see me, so I just got on the road. I'm lucky I didn't cause an accident I was crying so hard.

Somehow I managed to find a worksite in New Orleans -- one of the more hippie/New-Agey outfits -- spontaneously showing up like that is not a good idea, I'd be the first to agree, but it was my last shot -- and they were very welcoming but they couldn't find much for me to do. One guy sent me into a tent to sort clothes; then another guy came in and scolded me for sorting clothes; they kept offering me food; eventually I gave up and left.

Months later, the guy who yelled at me for doing the doll give-away on my own initiative (instead of sitting around waiting for Drunk Boss Guy to find us a project and Pushy Religious Guy to let me do anything) (and, OK, it's not considered best practice to go off on your own in an environment like that, but he wasn't in charge of me, and he was, like, yelling. angrily.) asked me if I'd send him copies of my photos ... and Drunk Boss Guy asked if I'd write him a letter of recommendation for some community award he was getting. By that point I was so deep into the "I Don't Believe This S--t" zone that I just ignored them.

It's not like this was an isolated incident. I just picked one that was long enough ago to be a little easier to talk about.

I wonder why nobody ever talks about this!? It's always oh, more people should volunteer. But what happens when you do? Anyway, thanks -- for the reality check, and the really interesting solution, and the good laugh.

PS I know this was long. If anyone got this far, thanks for listening!

I was hired to cook for Ingram Barge & Towing and am more than 60. Just depends on what you would be doing.

In the town I came from (Huntington, WV) Mountwest Community Tech College has a Maratime school that people from all over come there to take training. They usually have employers lined up to hire their grads as soon as they graduate. Many of these are short certification courses. Give this a look.

I know one woman who came up here after we spoke. She's a cook for ACBL and wants to be a Captain. She got her training and is now working as a steers-person for a Ferry Boat line on the Great Lakes on the months off when she isn't cooking for ACBL. Her second job on the Ferry Boat is to log time towards he becoming a Pilot and from there to a Captain.

MCTC Maratime Academy
Excellent career choice. If someone is just starting out and is physically fit the river industry is in my opinion great. We have a new hire on here that was homeless before he came to work here and now he thinks he died and went to heaven. The only thing u need to bring to work are clothes, and personal hygiene equipment and a strong work ethic since everything else is on board. Food examples are: Friday fish, Saturday 1” thick ribeye’s, Sunday fried chicken. Most everyone gains weight and high cholesterol. We have treadmill and free weights. Schedules for deckhands are 28 days on and 14 off.
Not for everybody, we have seen and heard it all. No lazy bull…ters need apply

What are the physicals like? Can an.older guy (60s) get in to the school program?
The physicals are so-so. You can get exemptions for almost any condition but sleep apnea.

The free union school has no age restrictions, neither does moving up. Had a 60 year old in my training class who excelled.

Another time I was on a ship when a gentle man who appeared to be in his 70s signed on. He had just gotten his license as a engineer in the engine. The boilers on that particular old steam driven ship went out on his watch, the vessel went dead in the water and the lights went out for half a minute till the emergency generator kicked in. The engineers scrambled to get it restarted. Restarted they did in no time flat, but one of the engineers was too close to the boilers when it re-lit and lost his eyebrows in the process.

Sailors have the best (sea) stories.

Being at sea does not play nice with family life. In spite of that, most mariners have a family, albeit frequently on spouse #2 or #3. The most interesting mariner I met to date stopped marrying after wife #5. Dude never wanted or had any kids. Just a soul who got after it and lived large.

They're a bunch of characters out there, but it takes the really looney to pull off a 9 to 5. Better off for the family though.

What's the difference between a fairytale and a seastory?

A fairytale starts out with "once upon a time" and ends with "and they lived happily ever after".

A seastory starts out with "now this ain't no sh1t" and ends with "and it's been fvkt up ever since!"

Here’s a question for anyone willing to put on their brainstorming hat. I know this is a diverse group with a wide range of experiences, and I’m curious what you might come up with.

So volunteering was high on my priority list for retirement (or semi-retirement, or whatever the heck this is). And I hate to say it but I am getting very disillusioned with my experiences so far. (I don’t want to start a gripe session, so I’ll keep the details to myself, but trust me if you can, I’ve spent the last four months exploring options and this ain’t working.)

I’m coming around to thinking that these generic, “show up and trust someone will put you to good use” gigs are never gonna cut it for me, and I need a real skill. I think I could pay for 1-2 semesters of community college or tech school or the like. I wish I could do EMT/paramedic, but I’m not sure my %^@¡ health is up to it, and I don’t know that they’d take an old person anyway. I’d like it to be people oriented (not e.g. computer programming, and I’ve done enough office work for three lifetimes already) and practical. I have reluctantly ruled out underwater welding :confused: and might as well admit that I have no inclination toward teaching.

Any wild and crazy ideas? or maybe something obvious that I just haven’t thought of?
This is brainstorming, so I shouldn't say "I like this idea" or "I don't like that one," but I will appreciate all contributions.❤️
Campground host, tour guide, museum guide, taking care of old folks, Hotel front desk. All in high demand, all require a people person and all will do on the job training