thinking about getting a new skill

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everybody for the great brainstorming, I really appreciate it. After a searching and fearless inventory by the cold clear light o' dawn etc., I decided to stick with trying to improve my languages. I can get by in Spanish, and stagger through enough Haitian Creole to give someone a good laugh (just finished the Duolingo yesterday!) (but don't be too impressed, their Creole sequence is pretty short). Also I speak German from my misspent youth; I don't see much need for that but you never know.

I have pretty much aged out of some of my other goals, maybe that is a blessing in disguise as it will let me focus instead of running around like a perpetual sophomore. So why not work with what's already started, and get more serious about it instead of dabbling. If I can get good enough at the Spanish (big if), there's a basic interpreter certification that would be within the price I had budgeted for training.

Plus it's a great excuse to watch movies ;) -- I saw Death in Buenos Aires on Freevee yesterday, very stylish and weird.

I hope other people who read this thread will be inspired to do some of the other great ideas!

I hope other people who read this thread will be inspired to do some of the other great ideas!
I've been wanting to do the HFH Care-A-Vanner thing since I worked in construction for a few years during my youth. Not to do any heavy work though of course but they have a range of tasks that I could handle.

Good luck with your new plans👍! Don't you just love blessings in disguise?

You can travel and earn wages for talking to people in English without having to master the language of that other country. Or even do it via video chats in this country. Of course you can reverse it when you want to become a more proficient speaker and pay someone so you get practice talking in their language.

Hobbies can turn into paying jobs.