thinking about getting a new skill

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
Here’s a question for anyone willing to put on their brainstorming hat. I know this is a diverse group with a wide range of experiences, and I’m curious what you might come up with.

So volunteering was high on my priority list for retirement (or semi-retirement, or whatever the heck this is). And I hate to say it but I am getting very disillusioned with my experiences so far. (I don’t want to start a gripe session, so I’ll keep the details to myself, but trust me if you can, I’ve spent the last four months exploring options and this ain’t working.)

I’m coming around to thinking that these generic, “show up and trust someone will put you to good use” gigs are never gonna cut it for me, and I need a real skill. I think I could pay for 1-2 semesters of community college or tech school or the like. I wish I could do EMT/paramedic, but I’m not sure my %^@¡ health is up to it, and I don’t know that they’d take an old person anyway. I’d like it to be people oriented (not e.g. computer programming, and I’ve done enough office work for three lifetimes already) and practical. I have reluctantly ruled out underwater welding :confused: and might as well admit that I have no inclination toward teaching.

Any wild and crazy ideas? or maybe something obvious that I just haven’t thought of?
This is brainstorming, so I shouldn't say "I like this idea" or "I don't like that one," but I will appreciate all contributions.❤️

Here are some thoughts coming from an instructor at a community college.

I don't think you want to explore the EMT/Paramedic track. For one, it will probably take two years of college and the classes will be quite challenging. Not saying you aren't up to it. But, the big point is working this job will be quite challenging physically. You and one other person will need to be able to get vastly overweight people onto the gurney and oftentimes get that load down flights of stairs.

One of the things that is lacking in much of today's workforce, and especially in the younger generations, is what is referred to as soft skills. Those are basically people skills. I would suggest going on the websites of community colleges and looking at the programs offered.

Maybe something like Medical Transcription, for example. You take the notes from a doctor and enter it it the records database.

Or maybe something in accounting if that is something that fits your personality. There are a lot of possibilities in that area. It is quite possible these jobs, depending on the employer, could be remote work.

These are just some examples. Again, look at college websites and see if something strikes your fancy.

If you're an animal lover how about vet tech? The training may be as rigorous as for an EMT but the physical demands may be less?

-Art welding assistant.

-Glass blowing assistant.

-Or similar...

if you are technically inclined, become an expert (wing it initially, very few know how, no need for college) in Google ad grants for nonprofits. You could get paid to help a bunch of nonprofits nationwide from the road, improve their outreach, become a conference guru speaker, and more

Talk to a career counselor at a local community college. The will know what is out there and what courses might be needed. There are lots of online short courses that can open a whole new world up.

Learn to install diesel and propane heaters....and go mobile.
With good work the referrals would start rolling in and you should soon be doing ok I would think.

Alternatively, learn to paint and create paintings that you can sell on busy streets.
I'd pay a good bit for a really nice colorful Leopard painting in textured oil on canvas.

I’m coming around to thinking that these generic, “show up and trust someone will put you to good use” gigs are never gonna cut it for me
The volunteers at a children's hospital where I used to work were put to very good use holding and rocking the babies in the nursery.

Life coaching. Are you great at healthy living, retirement, dating, cooking, something? You can get a certificate and help other people with something that you're good at.

I always wondered what sort of qualification was necessary to call oneself a life coach. I always found that a suspect job title. But the idea may be useful. You may have some experience as someone older that may be useful to others who are in the process of learning the hard way. And I think anyone volunteering would like to work at something they believe is useful to others.

I qualify as a chaos coach—in one easy lesson you can learn how to transform any situation into sheer chaos! As a bonus, I will also show you how to find the missing sock in the laundry.

In all seriousness, those of us who have been around the block a few times probably know a lot more than we give ourselves credit for. I sometimes think, if I only knew at 20 or 30 what I know now. But, such is life—about the time you get it figured out in your mind, the body goes to hell.

If you look thru the "Education and Skills needed to work online from your Rig" thread there are numerous links to places where you can learn skills. It just depends on what you would want to do. Some skills are hands on and you may work in real world situations with them such as a welder, carpenter, cook, etc where others are more office, mental, computer, communication oriented.and many of them are online/remote skills. During this Covid issue so many Schools have been offering free courses/certifications in many fields. But part of the trick to effectively learning a new skill set is to know what would be best for you as an occupation.

Education & Skills needed to work online from your Rig

I would offer you this free self test (the Holland Code) which can help to identify what skills would be best suited to you. There are many other free test there too.

Free Holland Code Career Aptitude test

If you look thru the "Education and Skills needed to work online from your Rig" thread there are numerous links to places where you can learn skills. It just depends on what you would want to do. Some skills are hands on and you may work in real world situations with them such as a welder, carpenter, cook, etc where others are more office, mental, computer, communication oriented.and many of them are online/remote skills. During this Covid issue so many Schools have been offering free courses/certifications in many fields. But part of the trick to effectively learning a new skill set is to know what would be best for you as an occupation.

Education & Skills needed to work online from your Rig

I would offer you this free self test (the Holland Code) which can help to identify what skills would be best suited to you. There are many other free test there too.

Free Holland Code Career Aptitude test
Schools across the country are also having a problem with staffing. I am taking a couple of years off my travels to go back to work for a school. Many schools are so desperate they are lowering many requirements. If you have a H.S. diploma, there are jobs available. Consider helping out for a year or two and rebuilding your bank account.

I retired and now volunteer at a food bank and I foster dogs that need medical work before they are adoptable. If I decide to travel, I can put both on hold.
I seen a video of a woman who became an RV tech. Not sure where the school was, but I don't imagine it is all that long. Most repair jobs are pretty easy, and you can always say no thanks to the difficult jobs.

Go to truck driving school. The US is 80,000 drivers short.

More and more women are doing it.

Here’s a question for anyone willing to put on their brainstorming hat. I know this is a diverse group with a wide range of experiences, and I’m curious what you might come up with.

So volunteering was high on my priority list for retirement (or semi-retirement, or whatever the heck this is). And I hate to say it but I am getting very disillusioned with my experiences so far. (I don’t want to start a gripe session, so I’ll keep the details to myself, but trust me if you can, I’ve spent the last four months exploring options and this ain’t working.)

I’m coming around to thinking that these generic, “show up and trust someone will put you to good use” gigs are never gonna cut it for me, and I need a real skill. I think I could pay for 1-2 semesters of community college or tech school or the like. I wish I could do EMT/paramedic, but I’m not sure my %^@¡ health is up to it, and I don’t know that they’d take an old person anyway. I’d like it to be people oriented (not e.g. computer programming, and I’ve done enough office work for three lifetimes already) and practical. I have reluctantly ruled out underwater welding :confused: and might as well admit that I have no inclination toward teaching.

Any wild and crazy ideas? or maybe something obvious that I just haven’t thought of?
This is brainstorming, so I shouldn't say "I like this idea" or "I don't like that one," but I will appreciate all contributions.❤️
You do NOT have to go to school to get trained. Many companies will train people for nursing homes. The key, of course, is not losing money in rent, which is what Bob Wells preaches. The challenge we have is getting ourselves in two predicaments: [1] Getting ourselves into a corner where we feel unable to get going, and talking ourselves out of doing. [2] Having too many directions, options, over thinking.

Most animal shelters want doggy walkers. Doggys are better behaved and calmer if they get walked more often...

Many thanks all for these responses!

I am better behaved and calmer if I walk more often, too ;) (eyes window, wonders if rain has stopped)

I think I could pay for 1-2 semesters of community college or tech school or the like. I wish I could do EMT/paramedic, but I’m not sure my %^@¡ health is up to it, and I don’t know that they’d take an old person anyway.
You're going to be old and decrepit no matter what, so you might as well be an old and decrepit EMT.

Seriously, follow your heart. You know what you want, find a way to do it.

Take a welding class or better yet complete a welding program. Those are high paying in demand jobs.