Anyone here that can help me A.S.A.P. choose a good van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XFILE36

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Tribe Members,

I posted a couple of months ago asking for advice on trading my car for a van because I NEED to leave and go east to help a friend in trouble ASAP.  My situation has changed a little and I can buy a van now and then sell the car.  I don't know much about mechanical things when it comes to cars/vans.  Is there anyone in the San Fernando Valley or surrounding areas of Los Angeles that can help me choose a van or class B?  It really could be ANYWHERE I guess in the U.S., as long as the van is dependable and under 100k miles.  I need to do a lot of traveling.

I am really in dire need to leave. I know one mechanic in West Hills/Woodland Hills, CA, but that's it.  I don't want to be taken advantage of.  Can anyone help or guide me to who can?  I would really appreciate any help.

Check my sticky in the mechanical section on vans from the big 3.
Also, link us to your local craigslist and we can offer some options.
Need to know things like budget, low or high top, etc first though.

Giddeon33w, can you show a link to the above section you mentioned?  Here is my local CL:  https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/  I want a high top and/or a class B.  I think I need a lot of space, but want to be able to be stealth too.  Budget? Preferably 8K or less?  Today is the first day I've had to think about the money, since I normally am dirt broke, but just sold something so I haven't really thought about the money.  I may decide to change that number later, since I haven't been in the mindset with any money in my pocket for a very long time.   Thanks for your help.

I want to know how to correct the word in my title to choose. Does anyone know how?

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Info-On-Common-Vans

Class B = No stealth , High-Top Conversion Van = No stealth from LEO , High-Top Cargo Van = Best you can hope for in a high-top

Personally, I think that the concept of stealth in ANY high-top once you add vents and solar is asking a bit much.

Is the 8k for just the van or the van and the build out? You can forget Class Bs unless they are ancient at that price.

We'll poke around for you though.

If you REALLY need space and a high top you may want to consider a little box truck/van

Gideon33w said:
Class B = No stealth , High-Top Conversion Van = No stealth from LEO , High-Top Cargo Van = Best you can hope for in a high-top

Is the 8k for just the van or the van and the build out? You can forget Class Bs unless they are ancient at that price.
Giddeon33, I guess high top cargo sounds good.  How much is a build out generally?  Are you a 33rd degree mason?

XFILE36 said:
Giddeon33, I guess high top cargo sounds good.  How much is a build out generally?  Are you a 33rd degree mason?

High top cargo vans tend to demand a premium. Just offering my 2 cents since you brought up stealth.
Build cost varies wildly depending on your needs/wants. People do it for a van and a few hundred and others spend tens of thousands.
I was a 33W in the Army. Military Intelligence Systems Maintainer/Integrator.

Gideon33w said:
I wouldn't VanDwell in a Dodge/Chrysler product if it was free. Take that as you will.
So your top recommendations are Chevys and Fords?  The $8K is for the van only.  I want to do my own build or buy one with existing build, and slowly remodel it myself.  If I found someone near-by to help, that would be great too, just while I am still living here.  Can you recommend what to look for besides taking it to a mechanic?  I still don't know how to get around doing that, having to make an appointment and all to get it checked out.  I am the worst person to purchase a car unless it is new.  At least there's a warranty and it has no miles on it. :) P.S. I have a suitcase panel, so stealth could still be achieved, and I don't think a vent is too obvious.

Any advice on exactly how to be able to take the van to a mechanic for $50 and not have the owner think I stole his van? Some of the vans I see take about a half hour drive just one-way. I have another option which is to bring a guy from CL who calls himself a mechanic, but isn't certified, for $90. The 1st mechanic has a shop with a hoist.

Another consideration and advice wanted. The mechanic with the shop told me the older (1980's vans) usually have problems with seals on the doors, etc. and to look for newer ones. Any experiences like that anyone?

I left a couple messages on two vans. Still waiting.

Perhaps narrow down the "area" you are located...someone can pipe in with a resource. I'd be willing to check fb groups too if I knew a general area...I'd have to get "approved" if a non-public fb group.

With $8k just for the van you should be able to find what you need no problem. Not to mention, you could always fly one way to someplace where cheaper options abound (like here in Arizona) and drive your new van back.

Favor the vans from General Motors. I'm actually a Ford guy but I'm not a huge fan of the mod motors used from the late 90s into the 00s. If you go Ford try to go with a 4.6L V8. Either way, learn the specific idiosyncrasies of the van you're aiming to get. This will tell you what to look for when you're searching.

If you want to have a mechanic inspect a vehicle before purchase just ask the owner ahead of time. Some people have no problems at all with this. Especially as the price of the vehicle goes up. If you're "shade tree" mechanic is good then don't mind that he isn't certified. I have no cert but can tear a motor down in a driveway.

Gideon33w- She found a carb'd 85 GMC fully contained high top van (kitchen etc)...88k miles...I'd buy it myself...new custom paint job (nothing flashy). Have you any thoughts on the mid-80s brand? This is the one with the window seal issues. Seller is very full-disclosure type.

Likely a 700r4 trans which is fine so long as it hasn't been fiddled with. I'm not huge on anything which lacks r134a refrigerant but maybe I'm biased from living in the desert, haha. As an 85 it will only have a 5 digit odometer so hopefully the seller is trustworthy enough (or has the records to show) that it isn't at 188k miles. I'm not sure I'd suggest a 30+ year old vehicle to someone who isn't mechanically inclined but with a healthy budget the thing could be gone over pretty comprehensively and will be pretty solid base platform. I prefer to build over buy but to each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.