Anyone else drive themselves nuts with choices?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lived in a 12ft Scotty a long time ago and I like the idea of having a TT you can drop and make your camp with and then have your exploratory vehicle to venture out, mostly to the grocery store.  The choice is simple for me.  When my wife and I get back to the states we'll be looking for a TT that is small enough to pull comfortably with the Jeep.  It has a 5000 pound tow capacity and we're going to stay in the 3500 pound range.  So, a TT I can gut and rebuild light and spartan in the 20 to 24 foot range will be just about perfect.  We were out today futzin around and saw a nice TT that was actually smaller than what we will be looking for.  This one was brand new and wayyyyy too much money and in the wrong country but the floor plan is just about perfect. The box is 18' long and it is a single axle. Here is the floor plan:

18ftTT.jpg

When we find the right shell this is how I'll rebuild it.

I've found myself falling in love with a million rigs on Craigslist, all so different. Didn't have the money for a while, so I had a long window for research. Over time, from Bob and other YouTubers, certain rigs caught my eye because people were happy with them and they were good quality. I narrowed my choices to Lazy Daze, Airstream B190, and Winnebago Minnie Winnie and a few other Winnebago floor plans.

I am from CA -- rents are out of control. RV prices can be as well. There were great prices in the summer, but a check was delayed and I missed out on a $4500 26' mid-bath LD, which I liked because the bed and bath close off and it would feel more like a home. Figured prices would be better in the fall, after Burning Man. Instead, once I had the $8k so budgeted for purchase and upgrades on hand, everything was $8-10k + for similar rigs and some smaller and less preferable layouts. Another 26' LD on CL was $9500, but with laminate floors and 200W solar. Over a month or so, price went down to $7000. Made an appt to see it and a B190 for $6500 a few days later. The LD owner texted me the day before to say someone offered them $6500 cash in a few hours. I was at least an hour away and missed the window to counter.

Reluctantly went to see the B190, even though it didn't have the feature I most wanted in that model: an oven. Ended up liking the van, the seller, and realized I hated the process and just wanted to get started. I pick it up in a couple days and can't wait.

I suspect it won't be my last rig, I still long for that 26' LD. The B190 fits my current needs. I need to get used to driving something larger, have something that I can park in cities, and have something small while I address injuries and limited mobility. I see B190s listed for double in the Midwest and 3-4x as much in CA. I am sure I can sell for a profit, especially after adding floors and solar. I figure I'll get something bigger, if I still want it, when I'm free to boondock anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yup, drive my self crazy and back. I think its also a symptom of being in limbo - not able to commit to the life yet so too much time to explore options.

I am still focused on finding a T@B for the short-term. Was really gung-ho for awhile on an r-pod (179 model, kitchen in back with extra counter space -- love to cook) but that would require a better tow vehicle than what I currently have. And it seemed too good for the price (could get a brand new 2017 model for~ 16K-- must be pretty flimsy).  For full-time in the future I am thinking a short ClassC (current fav is minnie winnie 22r)

New vs. used: the curse of limbo has one silver lining: time to save $$. I have decided I do not want to purchase someone else's problems/mistakes.  So will be saving every penny to buy new, whatever I end up with.  I am not a mechanic and don't want to be. I can MacGyver simple things but don't want major system fails right out of the gate. (of course I know that's possible, lemons are out there) Hopefully warranties will protect me somewhat.

So I keep looking. Everywhere. And since I can't get to RTR this year I am instead going to a huge RV show (largest in northeast, I think) in February. Not to buy, just to crawl in and out of every potential  lightweight TT, short Class C or teardrop there and make some quality judgments...probably just another trip to crazy town, but its the only place I can travel for now!

Its a great combo. BTW a 1/2 ton truck can easily and safely tow a 19ft 5th wheel. You would be surprised where you can take a 4x4 with a small 5th wheel. My truck is long bed and 24ft fiver, a bit bigger than I would like, but I have it raised up and I take my 5th wheel to some really hard to get to spots.

Older Chevy trucks are dirt cheap to buy, the early 2000 models I see going for 2500 all the time in good shape. Old small 5th wheels can be found in nice shape for <$5000. You are not getting a bargain at $7000 for that setup, though it is still a great combo.

My setup is 22ft long truck and 24ft long 5th wheel, but only takes up 40ft in total length, which is exactly two car spots long in parking lots. Small 5th wheels are not a common setup, but they are really great for some back area boon docking. I absolutely love my 5th wheel. Small 5th wheels tow like there is nothing there

In my 'quest', fifth wheel trailers pop up on the radar, but the problem for me besides restrictions here at the house, are that most small fifth wheel RV's are either really old and cheap, (around $5k or so) or really brand new 'niche' market items that are $45 grand or more.

There doesn't seem to be very many on the market in the middle range, and that probably means that most people are very happy with that setup and not willing to sell!

They sure look nice and comfy.

I'm having the same issue. I tend to be a perfectionist in my mode of thinking, always looking for the perfect solution to whatever i'm looking for, campers being no exception to that rule. So I overthink everything. The funny part is in the end, Im always happy with whatever I've decided on as i'm not that picky in real life.....just picky in the decision making process. I've done several cross country treks in a multitude of vehicles and i've enjoyed every trip and every rig. Each has their pros and cons, so I think it's easiest to eliminate the ones you know won't work and the decide from the list of remaining, knowing that you'll be happy with anyone you chose on the final list.

Boy howdy, do I know indecision.  It's a learning experience everyday. What are u gonna use vs what u really don't need to haul around (wieght/space). I find myself wondering why I brought this or that on a daily basis, lol. I have 4x4, and have never used it. I figure if I'm gonna go 4x4ing I'll unhook the Toyota.

Yep that is me right now, what will I be doing, what am I comfortable with, what will I need, and the popular WTF am I thinking of living in. Though I am going to RTR to hopefully learn more.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk