Anyone else drive themselves nuts with choices?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzly708

Reaction score
I am driving myself crazy trying to figure out which rig would be best for me and my dog. They all have such a diverse range of good and bad traits. I look at vans, than think about needing 4x4. Then I will look at a small class C, same thing  not 4x4. I have looked at a 1/2 ton Suburban and a small TT, But I know me and where I will try to drive....1/2 ton out. Small class A? Nope.
For the moment I am looking into a 1995 3/4 ton GMC truck with only 155,000 miles and a 18ft 5th wheel.  Can get both under $7k. I am willing and able to do any needed repairs. But, I'm sure I will change my mind 14 more times before I get on the road. 
Anyone else do this to themselves?

Yes I did. I ended up with a small class c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.

Eliminating what you *know* won't work is a start.

Choose the least worst option and look for a **real** bargain, but don't be unrealistic either.

Then start getting out there with zero buildout, pretend the law's after you and vamoose. After a few weeks or a couple months, you'll know

Either A. you chose well, start with safety and critical mechanicals, only later slowly add comfort

Or B wrong choice, at least you can get (most of) your money back cause you bought so smart.

Action is key, fight paralysis by analysis.

(We preach what we most need to learn :cool:

OMG YES Yes YES!!!

But finding the right vehicle is so important, for me the most important. You are lucky if you are mechanically inclined, some of not so.

Good luck with the hunt, I agree with John, knowing what won't work is half the battle!

Thats a big ten four!

:D

I have a van and trailer but I need a van (or pickup) with a bigger motor and headroom in the living space.

So as I dig thru the options I go back and forth. I can do this 'analysis paralysis' because right now, I have limited funding so it doesn't matter.

But in mid-January things will change and my funds will be much better. THEN it will get serious.

I'm not going to pretend to know what *you* need, but my last two vehicles have been 4x4 so I'll give you my take on it. I live in a "snow belt" region of Ontario, Canada. Although I've had some fun and gotten out of some sticky situations, I reluctantly admit that I've probably never *needed* 4x4.

The sticky situations I've gotten myself out of, were usually my own fault for getting into - because I had 4x4. There is a definite false sense of security that one often forgets. In slippery conditions, you can accelerate much quicker than the 2wd guy next to you. But when it comes to stopping, you're at a disadvantage because you're heavier and GOING FASTER!

4x4 is expensive to fix and maintain. It eats up your fuel mileage and tires. Yes, any modern 4x4 can be disengaged but it can definitely be more trouble than it's worth.

Very nice truck if 350 cast iron engine and if the fiver is a Fleetwood (there marketed under many names) tandem that is 7ft wide I say go get it before it's gone.

Each decision has a different flavored outcome. And what a person's intention is on the road. I can't commit at the moment due to personal obligations (mother). So I will likely start in a prius at first as I have sight-seeing super stealth plans.

That truck/18ft 5r is a hell of a deal. You can't go wrong as I see it if you decided something else later you would get your money back...that's how a person may learn what works.

Ultimately, the first decision may not be the last.

I have a 4X4 f250 and a travel trailer. I over bought on the trailer, too long and I can’t camp with it in some areas I’d like to go. I am, however, very happy with the trailer and 4X4 situation. I have needed the four wheel drive a few times to get through sand and dirt. I like making a base camp and going out and exploring. If I had it all to do over again I’d get a 22 foot or less trailer and a truck with lower miles.

I am all to familiar with snow and 4x4. I grew up in northern Michigan on the Keweenaw peninsula with around 300" of snow every year. I decided on 4x4 because I know the level of stupid I am capable of. ....lol.

The camper is from Comfort and is a 19ft 1995. Not perfect but I can fix any problems with it.

When I buy a camera lens it isn't just to buy one, it is to shoot something that I do not have the glass for now. That takes a lot of choices away because I can not shoot macro with a wide angle or go birding with a short lens. In this instance you need to think of where you will be going AND what you will be doing. How much stuff will you be taking with you is important. How much water do you think you will need for the amount of time you plan on staying. How much solar/batteries to provide for your needs. How comfortable do you want to be. How comfortable do you wish to be when it rains for days. How you want to cook, sleep, bathe, crap, etc, etc,etc,

On RV forums they say buy your second rig first because so many end up not liking the first one. It is hard of course if you have not done the camping/boondocking thing before then you really do not know what you want. Each class has advantages and disadvantages usually working out to the bigger, more comfortable with more storage being able to go fewer places than the smaller with less storage.

So while there are many choices out there to pick from, it is the choices in what you need and want from the rig that will make those choices more limited but you have to think of those things first.

I don't care what you buy because even after you buy it and think your happy somewhere down the road you will regret the purchase. So just get it started and buy something and make it work for you.

Yes.  I was obsessed.  When I first started researching this, I bought an empty, used 2002 Sprinter because I wanted to get good gas mileage, be able to run it on biofuel (no post fuel injection system), and be able to stand up.  However, I rushed on the purchase and ended up with one with a blown head gasket.  There was a lot of other drama that went with it.  I will spare you but decided in the end that I did not want a Mercedes engine that could not be fixed in remote places.  It broke my budget and my heart.  It is gone.

Recently, I have tried my FWD minivan off road and wish that I had something that could handle it better.  It makes me nervous to drive it off of the pavement.

The other things I have thought about are:

1. being able to park anywhere without a lot of trouble (handling, width, length)
  2. not freaking out on mountain highways by what I am towing or having to brake hard because some idiot in front of me doesn't know that tailgating is for football games
  3. having a place to bathe and cook in private
  4. something that is lockable
  5. something that can be fixed by most mechanics and won't cost me a limb at the same time
  6. windows
This is the list I am working with now while I am living out of my minivan.  My favorites are Roadtreks and Pleasureways.  In my very expensive dreams, I have one of these:

http://www.roadtrek.com/models/simplicity-srt/

I think that RAM has a Fiat engine so back to the problem of where to get it serviced or repaired.

Have you considered a late model pickup with a slide-in camper?

I'm leaning this direction for my next rig....either that or a boxvan that I would convert.

Nothing is set in stone yet.

No paralysis for me, after most recent divorce it was simply using the vehicle I had on hand which is a '98 GMC K1500 truck. Shopped Craigslist for a few months to find a topper that fit and I was off and running.

Not the optimal setup but close. I was kinda forced to become a minimalist but now it suits me to a tee. I expect that I will upgrade someday to a lightweight slide-in but am in no hurry.

I love this way of life, sure glad I didn't choose to go grub for a j o b and find a rental somewhere!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I made myself crazy with all the decisions of what I wanted. I took a hard look at why I'm choosing this lifestyle and a lot of it is to get out of the financial rut I'm in. It doesn't make any sense for me to spend money to get out of debt, so I'm working with what I have. Is it pretty? No. Is it functional? Absolutely. Stealthy? No way. But later down the road I can upgrade.

However, those are my reasons, your choices probably have different variables. Good luck in whatever you choose.

I've found myself falling in love with a million rigs on Craigslist, all so different. Didn't have the money for a while, so I had a long window for research. Over time, from Bob and other YouTubers, certain rigs caught my eye because people were happy with them and they were good quality. I narrowed my choices to Lazy Daze, Airstream B190, and Winnebago Minnie Winnie or some other Winnebago floor plans.

I am from CA and rents are out of control. RV prices can be as well. There were great prices in the summer, but a check was delayed and I missed out on a $4500 26' mid-bath LD, which I liked because the bed and bath close off and it would feel more like a home. Figured prices would be better in the fall, after Burning man. Instead, once I had the $8k so budgeted on hand, everything was $7-10k + for similar rigs. Another 26' LD on CL was $9500, but with laminate floors and 200W solar. Over a month or so, price went down to $7000. Made an appt to see it and a B190 for $6500 a few days later. The LD owner texted me the day before to say someone offered them $6500 cash in a few hours. I was at least an hour away and missed the window to counter.

Reluctantly went to see the B190, even though it didn't have the feature I most wanted in that mode: an oven. Ended up liking the van, the seller, and realized I hated the process and just wanted to get started. I pick it up in a couple days and can't wait. I suspect it won't be my last rig, I still long for that 26' LD. Right now, I think the B190 fits my current needs. I need to get used to driving something larger, have something that I can park in cities, and have something small while I address injuries and limited mobility. I see B190s listed for double in the Midwest and 3-4x as much in CA. I am sure I can sell for a profit, especially after adding floors and solar. I figure I'll get something bigger, if I still want it, when I'm free to boondock anywhere.

Latest posts