Mini-Van-Camper-Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've owned two Odysseys over the years and been quite happy with them. Great road trip vehicles. Examining those pics above, it looks like the middle row seats still come out the same way as ours did (?) They're heavy, but being able to remove them is very handy for extra space (I understand that the Sienna middle seats aren't considered removable by the consumer). I recall my second row seats only leaving some recessed attachment points in the floor when they were taken out...

I imagine the third row seats could be removed with a bit of work the same way as on the Sienna. Then you could buy or construct a floor to flatten out the back, with "hatches" to access the recessed space where the third row seats would formerly store themselves - that's significant extra room for a cooler, storage boxes, whatever. All depends on how often you'd want to switch out between three-row passenger config vs. camper with maximum room.

^^^you might want to research what electrical connections there are and if they need to be dealt with.

Thanks folks for sharing your experiences and tips/tricks. I think we're pretty set on an Odyssey, now just playing the email price negotiation game until something clicks into place.

Which brings me to the next point...

A nice, good sized, front-accessible refrigerator with a good sized freezer compartment

I am a bit spoiled by our previous refrigerator, a Vitrifrigo C115. It was roomy, had a large freezer, cooled down quickly, and seemed to be of good quality except for the cheapo fan in the back which I replaced with something noiseless.

I would get one of those immediately, but going "Mini" means compromises galore, and the 31" height of the VF will lead to serious design challenges so I am searching for something in the 2ft height range. I also think that a "removable freezer" option may be good as we don't always need a freezer and that would maximize the area for cold storage. Another solution would be to get a separate freezer, but that would certainly cut into the battery life and storage volume.

Any suggestions for a fridge with a more stout form factor? The VF C85 is still too tall, while something like a TruckFridge TF65 is a couple of inches short and doesn't have enough space to feed 3.

This one looks pretty good "on paper". Anyone with experience?

My comments may or may not apply. Currently, I have a 6x12 converted cargo. My intentions with that was to be able to pull it with a 2016 Chrysler T&C which I bought new for my wife. When we bought it, we drove them all. We ended up Chrysler because the only other one we liked was the toy, but the added cost of the toy for the same features was ridiculous.

The T&C tows the trailer pretty well, usually getting between 14 and 17mpg when towing. I sometimes pull with a my full size chev express van and that only gets 12mpg. Because I like to "convert stuff", My mind often runs wild with what I could do with the T&C because of those large storage holes in the floor (Stow and Go). They are a HUGE, monsterous advantage for a conversion. I'm confident you can use a portapotti in the back recess. Water, Batteries, storage etc in the fwd bay.

I guess that is the point of my post... those stow and go bays are AWESOME for conversions. All it would need for me to be happy with a mini is someone making an attractive "pop top" to go on the roof, though a rear add on screen/tent/awning system integrated into the rear hatch would probably suffice.

Regards the brand wars.... I don't care. T&C dealers are in more cities than Kia, Honda, Toyota. If I need a repair, I can get one easily, though, so far (55k), not any issues. "Resale Value" of a converted mini with 150,000 miles isn't going to matter much no matter what the brand as long as it has been taken care of.

POST PICTURES when you get going ! Best of Luck !

My comments may or may not apply. Currently, I have a 6x12 converted cargo. My intentions with that was to be able to pull it with a 2016 Chrysler T&C which I bought new for my wife. When we bought it, we drove them all. We ended up Chrysler because the only other one we liked was the toy, but the added cost of the toy for the same features was ridiculous.

The T&C tows the trailer pretty well, usually getting between 14 and 17mpg when towing. I sometimes pull with a my full size chev express van and that only gets 12mpg. Because I like to "convert stuff", My mind often runs wild with what I could do with the T&C because of those large storage holes in the floor (Stow and Go). They are a HUGE, monsterous advantage for a conversion. I'm confident you can use a portapotti in the back recess. Water, Batteries, storage etc in the fwd bay.

I guess that is the point of my post... those stow and go bays are AWESOME for conversions. All it would need for me to be happy with a mini is someone making an attractive "pop top" to go on the roof, though a rear add on screen/tent/awning system integrated into the rear hatch would probably suffice.

Regards the brand wars.... I don't care. T&C dealers are in more cities than Kia, Honda, Toyota. If I need a repair, I can get one easily, though, so far (55k), not any issues. "Resale Value" of a converted mini with 150,000 miles isn't going to matter much no matter what the brand as long as it has been taken care of.

POST PICTURES when you get going ! Best of Luck !
Thank you for your reply! I read good things about Stow and Go for conversion purposes, but I am a bit leery of older Chryslers (or Dodges). Even if it is easier to find a place that fixes them, if you are in the middle of nowhere it's still a towing bill.

Reading a bit more about refrigerators, this one seems to be a good fit. Dometic i bit more prone to failure compared to the Premium brands, but may be worth the gamble. Need to check on the warranty. The removable freezer compartment is something I would appreciate, plus the touted energy efficiency.

Reading a bit more about refrigerators, this one seems to be a good fit. Dometic i bit more prone to failure compared to the Premium brands, but may be worth the gamble. Need to check on the warranty. The removable freezer compartment is something I would appreciate, plus the touted energy efficiency.
Yeah, I think that will do. Comes with a 3 year warranty and the "T" version for "truck" is supposed to be extra tough.

Storage

I could use some help with that... I was thinking Sterilite drawers, but I can't seem to find them in the right dimensions.
I want them ~25" tall, 20" deep, and not very particular on the width. Most are only 15" deep.
I also don't want them to be flimsy, or transparent. There are some "weave" types which may do.
I could put something together using plywood, but it would be heavy, and all the drawer slides, well, yawn.

What have you been using in your conversions?

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by "the tires were something that you cannot buy".
They had on his year and model a new technology tire that was pretty vehicular specific. It ended up being a flop and was probably recalled. But whoever had his car didn’t get in on the recall he figures… the “fix” includes some fender altering to fit the tires now required. He wishes he’d researched the car better. But has made the adjustments and enjoys the car…

^^^you might want to research what electrical connections there are and if they need to be dealt with.
At least on the model years we owned, the middle seats were consumer-removable and had no electrical connections. The side curtain airbags were in the sidewall, not in the seats, and the seats were manually adjustable (no elec motors).

Would the sliding doors get in the way of the roof top tent idea? And would the roof support the weight of a roof top tent.
I started out thinking I would need a pump for our water and then realized all I needed was gravity. My water jug goes on a shelf and when stopped we put the jug on it's side and gravity does the work for me. I have a little tap thingy to turn to let water out. While it does leak a bit if left for long on it's side it doesn't get left on it's side for ever and doesn't leak when it is upright and we are driving. I heat water in the microwave so no need for a water heater. Which means no hot showers in the van, we sponge wash and find showers outside the van.
I do NOT like even good food smells and in particular coffee, yuk! I'm a tea drinker. If you have a tent on top then where will the vent fan go? Looks like maybe rethink the roof top idea. I got my thought about kitchen in back from the teardrop trailer designs I also liked the idea of the tailgate door in the back to function as the roof of my kitchen. My back doors don't flip up but work as walls to block the wind.
Would a pick-up truck with a back seat work? With a canopy that has a pop up top bed (Which is what Mom had) work? It's not as suburban looking, but it might give you more room and most trucks are built for more weight. I have driven a big 4+4 truck for years and it is as easy to use in parking lots once ya get used to it. I not thinking you would need a big 4+4 truck maybe a good midsized truck. I have seen some cute chuck wagon trailers on line that would mean not hauling the kitchen everywhere all the time just when camping, something small like a Harbor freight 2 wheeled thing.

Would the sliding doors get in the way of the roof top tent idea?
No, the roof rails and crossbars provide some space/distance.
And would the roof support the weight of a roof top tent.
Good question... There are different accounts from "no issues" to "roof caved in". Crossbars have a certain weight limit, and roof tents also have very different weights. I would choose a light rooftop tent, think Overland Inspired (80lb) rather than something in the 175lb range.
I started out thinking I would need a pump for our water and then realized all I needed was gravity. My water jug goes on a shelf and when stopped we put the jug on it's side and gravity does the work for me. I have a little tap thingy to turn to let water out. While it does leak a bit if left for long on it's side it doesn't get left on it's side for ever and doesn't leak when it is upright and we are driving.
That is certainly a good and simple option. However, I want to store the water at the bottom of the car in the rear seat well, AND I want filtered water, AND I don't want to schlepp the jug around, and rather have the space for other things. Lots of reasons for me to go with a more typical water tank, water pump, filter and sink/faucet. There are faucets with a micro-switch which is something I am considering.
I heat water in the microwave so no need for a water heater. Which means no hot showers in the van, we sponge wash and find showers outside the van.
I could heat water on the propane cooker, but I also have a solar shower bag which would provide warm water on demand... if I don't forget to put it on the roof.
I do NOT like even good food smells and in particular coffee, yuk! I'm a tea drinker.
Different strokes... :)
If you have a tent on top then where will the vent fan go? Looks like maybe rethink the roof top idea.
Still planning all of this, not sure if I will get/need a rooftop tent, or a roof vent. I don't think I can/want to cut an opening into the roof. There will be a sunroof which perhaps could be used for some active ventilation/venting.
I got my thought about kitchen in back from the teardrop trailer designs I also liked the idea of the tailgate door in the back to function as the roof of my kitchen. My back doors don't flip up but work as walls to block the wind.
Yeah, having a "roof" while cooking might be beneficial. I am thinking about something like a shower/insect curtain with magnets to quickly attach to the raised rear hatch for more privacy, wind blocking, and perhaps solar heated showers.
Would a pick-up truck with a back seat work? With a canopy that has a pop up top bed (Which is what Mom had) work? It's not as suburban looking, but it might give you more room and most trucks are built for more weight. I have driven a big 4+4 truck for years and it is as easy to use in parking lots once ya get used to it. I not thinking you would need a big 4+4 truck maybe a good midsized truck. I have seen some cute chuck wagon trailers on line that would mean not hauling the kitchen everywhere all the time just when camping, something small like a Harbor freight 2 wheeled thing.
No. :)

Not to confuse the issue, you might want to look at the Ford Transit Connect and the Ram Pro Master City. They are both much smaller than other Pro Masters and Transits but roomier than a mini van.
We first thought our little mini van would work..... until we spent a weekend in it. We also have a very large dog and he was very squished and then we were very squished. A friend found a used but not in too bad of shape big road tripping van, a ram pro thingy for us, much older and very dirty but it cleaned up good and works better for us. Though the back doors don't work for a roof. I'm sure we could have made the mini work with lots of tweaking, but doggy is much happier with more space. I'm pretty sure we are too. It works in parking lots etc. but the mini would have worked easier for daily driving. Our van is just for camping/road trips. Surprising the bigger van doesn't get too much worse gas millage, but then it was an older minivan. I think if you can figure out a good frame for your bed and something for the kido a mini will do what you want. Maybe light weight PVC for framing with storage under.
My water gets filtered before it goes in the jug. I have been considering one of those solar bags for showering. Does it get clugged if the water is not filtered? I have a 2 liter jug with a shower head thingy that is painted black for heated water that I use to wash off my feet when I have been barefooted at the beach or something. It works so-so to small for much more than that.

Yeah, I think that will do. Comes with a 3 year warranty and the "T" version for "truck" is supposed to be extra tough.

Storage

I could use some help with that... I was thinking Sterilite drawers, but I can't seem to find them in the right dimensions.
I want them ~25" tall, 20" deep, and not very particular on the width. Most are only 15" deep.
I also don't want them to be flimsy, or transparent. There are some "weave" types which may do.
I could put something together using plywood, but it would be heavy, and all the drawer slides, well, yawn.

What have you been using in your conversions?
So I found these Outdoor kitchen drawers in sizes that may work.
https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Stainless-Steel-Cabinet-Handle/dp/B07HFXYZ12

Not to confuse the issue, you might want to look at the Ford Transit Connect and the Ram Pro Master City. They are both much smaller than other Pro Masters and Transits but roomier than a mini van.
Good points. Lots of choices. There are also roomier SUVs like 'burbans and Ex-big-ditions. Mercedes Metris? All have their pros and cons.
I am not planning on a full conversion / build, you know, cutting holes into the roof, insulating the walls, etc. No time, not enough knowledge. Going Mini to have an almost normal vehicle, and still able to go camping in style. ;)

If you're planning on propane cooking in a mini van, make sure you have a heat shield on top so you don't burn or melt anything.

When thinking about the water storage take weight distribution into consideration. Having so much water storage in back might stress your rear suspension. Depends on how much water you'll be carrying.

If you're going to build it out like a camper, maybe have a slide out kitchen.

Also don't forget rear/side tent type enclosures that can be a great way to relax and have more space when relaxing.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
If you're planning on propane cooking in a mini van, make sure you have a heat shield on top so you don't burn or melt anything.
Good point! Distance from the ceiling/raised door plays a role, but yeah, got to be careful.
When thinking about the water storage take weight distribution into consideration. Having so much water storage in back might stress your rear suspension. Depends on how much water you'll be carrying.
Planning on a 7gal container, which will lay flat in the rear, passenger side, to be balanced by the refrigerator and storage on the drivers side.
If you're going to build it out like a camper, maybe have a slide out kitchen.
I will share my kitchen/cooking plans in a future post.
Also don't forget rear/side tent type enclosures that can be a great way to relax and have more space when relaxing.
Yep. I have a screen tent/tarp which can be separate from the vehicle, to sit inside, protected from sun and biting nasties. Planning to have some curtain to attach to the raised rear door for privacy and added space. These are things that can be added at a later point, once the basics are in place.

We first thought our little mini van would work..... until we spent a weekend in it. We also have a very large dog and he was very squished and then we were very squished. A friend found a used but not in too bad of shape big road tripping van, a ram pro thingy for us, much older and very dirty but it cleaned up good and works better for us. Though the back doors don't work for a roof.
Depends how much work you want to put into it to do the conversion. With more efforts (and knowledge), a larger/older/cheaper van may work better.
I'm sure we could have made the mini work with lots of tweaking, but doggy is much happier with more space. I'm pretty sure we are too. It works in parking lots etc. but the mini would have worked easier for daily driving. Our van is just for camping/road trips.
Yep, all has its pro's and con's for sure.
Surprising the bigger van doesn't get too much worse gas millage, but then it was an older minivan.
I got 17mpg on the camper, not sure about the Minivan, but ideally somewhere in the mid 20s. Hybrid Siennas are in the mid 30s, but then you pay upfront for that.
I think if you can figure out a good frame for your bed and something for the kido a mini will do what you want. Maybe light weight PVC for framing with storage under.
Thinking about an extendable slat bed frame on top of the refrigerator/storage drawers.
My water gets filtered before it goes in the jug.
That works too. I would often (re)fill my water tank at campsites and it was easy to just dump it in and don't worry about filtration.
I have been considering one of those solar bags for showering. Does it get clugged if the water is not filtered?
Depends on your source water, but generally no. Of course, if you get it from a water body with algae and detritus it would clog the shower head, but should be easy to fix with a quick chlorine bath.
I have a 2 liter jug with a shower head thingy that is painted black for heated water that I use to wash off my feet when I have been barefooted at the beach or something. It works so-so to small for much more than that.
Yeah, I like the 5 gal baggies, lots of water volume, and they can be collapsed/folded for minimal storage space.

Do not neglect ground clearance into your buying criteria if you plan on traveling on any dirt roads for dispersed camping on BLM or NFS federal lands or into State owned areas.
Very important, and the minivans are terrible in this regard.

I am pretty "handy" which was beneficial many times. Often the question wasn't if something would break/fall apart/cease to function but "when". It's a pretty complex setup, to squeeze the functionality of a home into a small vehicle, and then exposing it to constant jerking movements (dirt roads?). Especially with a camper on the lower end of the pricing scale, things just continue to cause issues. I feel that simplifying things and doing my own work (like using screws and wood glue instead of staples going nowhere) will overall make it a much less finicky and more reliable setup.
Since you seem to want to DIY, that opens up a lot of possibilities...

But... I don't think we have enough info from you to make intelligent suggestions on the type of vehicle. You can certainly use a minivan to travel and camp, but there are serious limitations, and you don't appear to be penniless, so it's best to get and build something that really suits your purpose.

1) How many people?
2) Use case? Weekend trips, multiweek, fulltime, where, how (campgrounds, remote, really remote rugged trails, etc)?
3) Budget?

IMO, it's pretty silly to get hung up on mpg. Anything that is comfortable to live in and is durable will be in the 10-15 mpg range. Trying to get more is way too much compromise for little gain. The nomads with tight budgets just limit how much driving they do.

I prefer to camp in quiet and isolated places, so offroad ability is important. Trucks are better than any vans in this respect, with better ground clearance, more robust suspensions, ubiquitous 4wd, and a host of upgrades available. You can also buy a camper as a very well insulated fiberglass/foam shell, and build it out yourself. I personally started from scratch on the camper shell, but wouldn't again... ;)... at least not the way I did this one.

Last edited:
You could always get ebikes as a daily driver and still have a decent size van. Just a thought. We ordered a couple last week and can't wait to stop driving the van around for groceries, laundry, restaurants, shows, etc. Plus, they fold and fit in the "garage."

Attachments

• Aipas.png
    Aipas.png
    945.6 KB · Views: 0