Any Sports Car dwellers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris2002

Reaction score
Before saying anything I'd like to say I'm brand new to all of this, and I'm definitely interested in this lifestyle, any information would be helpful or possible suggestions. I know this idea sounds vastly different from probably most of the vehicle choices on here. But what about buying a sports car and tent or roof tent setup? I had also thought about living in an RV Park of some kind with a small trailer and again, with a Sports car. I figure, it would be kinda cool to have some sort of performance vehicle along with this lifestyle. (Mustangs, Shelbys? :p)

My wife, and I used to camp out of her 1987 GTA Trans Am, and I have considered it in my 1985 Porsche 944, but we now have a large TT we pull behind a diesel Excursion. I have seen several Ford Lightning pickup trucks pulling campers, and boats.

I would consider the price of running a high performance engin like that. Limited space.... As for the roof tent there is no way that your roof is made strong enough to carry one... I just checked for my car...
Truck and SUV it seems are the only vehicles build strong enough for tent. Even a roof rack is out of question. Low cruisers and sport cars are to low for hitch box... They will not clear some inclines. That leaves no options for carrying stuff outside of the car. Unless you can travel with just a toothbrush. I have the same issue.

Sent from my G3223 using Tapatalk

You could always tow a small trailer like the guys who run in drag week, or the Hot Rod Power Tour...if you have a hitch, you could also get a hitch mounted cargo carrier, and a couple of large weather proof totes.

sports cars are low slung so no off road driving. the are pretty light duty when it comes to load carrying capacity or towing. the price to purchase and maintain are high. some must burn premium gas. tires are usually low profile so they are not very durable and they are expensive. so I really don't see an advantage. is there one? highdesertranger

My whole idea, is trying to find a place that I could live in my small travel trailer, along with a sports car of some kind, I've been deciding on what model exactly to buy, but be it a Mustang, an older Corvette, whatever, I wanted the best possession I have to be my car, considering I'm a bit of an enthusiast :p I think the whole idea would be fun and interesting, but I'm not sure how much exactly it would cost me, premium fuel, tires, all that. It's mainly just a little idea I've been kicking around, but thanks for all the comments, definitely puts things into perspective

If you're in a Corvette with a tear drop(or whatever), it seems like that's something YouTube would eat up.

Just a childhood dream back in 1966 that never got done!

Back in the 70's I had a 1958 Porsche super 1600 seats fully reclined could sleep in the cabin with the skylight open it was a star-filled event NO off road just pulled into dirt roads I had a bunch of favorited on the coast highway Racoons could be a problem. I would drive to LA from San Francisco to sell the band I was in.

... a friend of mine lived in his Mustang for about a year to save money, the rear seats fold down for access to the trunk, he moved the front passenger seat forward , slept with pillow against back of front seat with legs/feet in the trunk - he's 6'1" , takes a little ingenuity but do-able ...

I wouldn't want to sleep in my 2004 Mustang GT convertible...barely enough room for my feet in the trunk.

Just check the towing capacity of the car before you buy it and see if you can find a suitable trailer.

A sports car might need to have some reinforcing to the frame to be able to put a strong enough hitch on it.

After I do some more touring in my van this summer, I plan to drive up US 191 from Douglas,AZ to Glasgow,Montana. I've wanted to do it on a motorcycle but will settle on driving my '86 VW Jetta GLI. It's a fun little 'sporty car' in the curves, sort of a poor man's BMW. Not nearly as cool as a '62 Corvette but 1/20 the cost.

I thought that I would be mostly camping, staying at motels and AirBnb but now I'm thinking of building a cheapo foamy teardrop on a 4'x8' Harbor Freight trailer. The Jetta can only tow about 500-600 lbs. max, so a foamy would be just the ticket.

Be sure to do all the checks found in teardrops and tiny trailers forum to the trailer! Their cheap tires lasted me about 3000 miles with the trailer at max weight. I would advise checking local craigslist for a cheaper better quality axle but it will be hard to find a lighter weight trailer and if you weld the bolted joints it really helps make it sturdier.