Any fans of Alan Watts? "Turning My Life Into My Dream Life"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

free2enjoy

Reaction score
Nearly 3 years ago, I separated from my wife and took my Class A to the campground I live in now as a way to save money, to live in a rural area outside the metropolis, and to see if I would enjoy a fulltime RV lifestyle.   

It started what probably was the first time I ever truly lived alone.  

Then I stepped it up a notch...I turned off the TV and the music.   That's when the "magic" happened.   That's when all I had to listen to the thought traffic in my head.  

That's when I really got to find myself and heal from the previous 50 years of funk.  

Now, I can't stand the TV being on or the music.  Now, I want to keep the silent environment so that I can process even deeper what I observe in me and around me.  Many people have recognized that once in awhile an intuition with drop in....well, when the norm is silence, every day, all day, intuitions drop in like crazy.  

But what I love to do is learn from those that are doing what I'm interested in doing.  So I listen now a lot to the vandwellers on YouTube, picking up their obvious points they share, but also learning from their subtle nuances that reveal even more insights into what life is at that level of "convenience".  I see that I learn easiest from observing the extremes and vandwelling is extreme enough for me to focus on while I plan my exit from my career and hit the road.  

So right now, as I'm detailing the inside of my 5th wheel, I'm listening the Alan Watts, a genius of metaphysical philosophy, with a brilliant voice.   He's truly a pleasure to listen to.  I don't agree with much of what he says but he recognizes that his words are opinions and I recognize mine are opinions so its a great match.

This is the discourse I'm listening to now.... "Turning My Life Into My Dream Life"

I collect ideas....ideas can trigger me to wonder....in fact, when I start my own YouTube channel with the nomad theme, I'm considering the name "The Wandering Wonderer" or "The Wondering Wanderer".  :)

x2 on tuning out. It took me some time to deal with the traffic as well. Isn't it great to be able to be in total silence for long periods and be comfortable in your own skin? I had to learn how to listen and be my own friend.

Cheers;)

Van Man Dave said:
x2 on tuning out.  It took me some time to deal with the traffic as well.  Isn't it great to be able to be in total silence for long periods and be comfortable in your own skin?  I had to learn how to listen and be my own friend.

Cheers;)

Thanks for sharing that!

What I figured out is that it isn’t “human” to be self loathing, that life is best lived by trial and error vs. trying to fit into mold. :)

I love the silence, wow!!

I’m just getting adjusted to the silence. It has taken a while. I appreciate life in nature and away from the chaos, it has also been very healing for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I listened to this one today about Letting Go. Extremely profound, especially the last third of it!

I had an overnight show on a community radio station in the early 80's.  The station had an incredible variety of material, and I was pretty much free to do whatever I wanted on the show.  We had a bunch of Alan Watts tapes form his radio shows of the late 50's to early 60's, I believe.   He had a wonderful way with the spoken word, and I enjoyed listening to them.  They were my introduction to eastern philosophy.  I haven't though of Alan Watts in many years; I think I'll check them out again and see how they sound 35 years down the road.

I appreciate what I know of Watts, but never pursued his work any further, but I do have him bookmarked for the future.
My quiet know only comes from meditation.

I very frequently listen to Alan. At work, I play a lot of Alan Watts "chillstep" for customers to listen to. I get a lot of people asking me what/who it is so that they can finish listening to it at home.

free2enjoy said:
Nearly 3 years ago, I separated from my wife and took my Class A to the campground I live in now as a way to save money, to live in a rural area outside the metropolis, and to see if I would enjoy a fulltime RV lifestyle.   

It started what probably was the first time I ever truly lived alone.  

Then I stepped it up a notch...I turned off the TV and the music.   That's when the "magic" happened.   That's when all I had to listen to the thought traffic in my head.  

That's when I really got to find myself and heal from the previous 50 years of funk.  

Now, I can't stand the TV being on or the music.  Now, I want to keep the silent environment so that I can process even deeper what I observe in me and around me.  Many people have recognized that once in awhile an intuition with drop in....well, when the norm is silence, every day, all day, intuitions drop in like crazy.  

But what I love to do is learn from those that are doing what I'm interested in doing.  So I listen now a lot to the vandwellers on YouTube, picking up their obvious points they share, but also learning from their subtle nuances that reveal even more insights into what life is at that level of "convenience".  I see that I learn easiest from observing the extremes and vandwelling is extreme enough for me to focus on while I plan my exit from my career and hit the road.  

So right now, as I'm detailing the inside of my 5th wheel, I'm listening the Alan Watts, a genius of metaphysical philosophy, with a brilliant voice.   He's truly a pleasure to listen to.  I don't agree with much of what he says but he recognizes that his words are opinions and I recognize mine are opinions so its a great match.

This is the discourse I'm listening to now.... "Turning My Life Into My Dream Life"

I collect ideas....ideas can trigger me to wonder....in fact, when I start my own YouTube channel with the nomad theme, I'm considering the name "The Wandering Wonderer" or "The Wondering Wanderer".  :)

i have stumbled on to Alan Watts on u tube and love it really cool stuff

'When You Leave the Farm, Your Mind is Free'

Short & powerful---with a clip of Alan Watts---delivering a big punch at the end.
(under 5 mins)

:) Charlotte