Another van for CRVL pre-inspection.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never worried too much about maintenance records. The condition of the vehicle and the way it runs usually speaks for itself. I take meticulous care of my truck and I couldn't provide someone with a single record. But it's extremely clean and runs very well.

Really? Although, I'm finding that 90% of the POs I've been in contact with don't keep maintenance records and that has baffled me.

Maybe I am in the minority....you should see the folders I keep on our vehicles. Anal doesn't even describe it.

The only records I keep aren't for maintenance, but for repairs, and I only keep them for warranty, so typically whomever I sell to never sees them anyway, but I'm pretty meticulous on my vehicle up-keep.  But let's get down to brass-tacks here; The van has under 60K miles, so it's not going to have a lot of service records simply because at such a low mileage, it hasn't really needed a whole lot of service done.  Oil-change records aren't really worthy of argument since a lot of folks do that themselves, and the transmission is new, so the filter & fluid within would be new too.  It's not ready for ignition & driveline, though the belt might be due along with air filter & chassis lube, but those can be (relatively) affordably tacked onto the next We-Loob oil-change.  Though from that point, you may be able to talk the seller into covering a commercial oil-change including all those things, but @ 58K miles, I really don't see a lack of maintenance records as a "problem" per se.  Just my 2¢ Cotton

I see where you are coming from, CT. We've been grappling over it ourselves since the mileage is so low and wondering what damage could be done if fluids not properly changed in timely manner over 13yrs., even if low mileage. We really do not know if it has low mileages from just a few very long highway trips from NJ-->Fla or owners made many, many very short trips (which is considered "severe" driving). It is a 2000+ round trip to Florida so our "assumption" is that most of the miles was from a yearly trip to and from Florida but without proof I'm not comfortable making assumptions..

I think it boils down to this for us.....if there is proof of regular preventative maintenance and our own inspection/test drive shows everything wonderful, we are much more comfortable foregoing the professional pre-purchase inspection if trying to get one means losing the sale. If no proof and something is just a bit off but not detrimental in our viewing, I'd feel more comfortable spending $$ on deposit *and* the pro inspection even if it means missing the sale. (we also aren't willing to put down too much of a non-refundable deposit either) 

We were thinking no more than $100 deposit to hold vehicle if wanting an inspection, but no more. Does this sound reasonable?

We are not used to holding cars (all of our 10+ previous car purchases were on the spot and without regret) and have already lost money because of it. We don't want to lose money like that  too often, however. Between travel costs, inspections, and deposits, our car fund is trickling away.

Dont over think this and lose a good vehicle.

I don't keep records much. I service them for my benefit, not an unknown somebody 10 years from now.
My grandparents would cover brand new upholstery with miserable plastic covers so the seat covers woukd be like new when they sold the car!
Idiotic! If I paid for velour seats...... I'm sitting on them!

Records are over rated.

I was once told that when looking at a used car, don't ask mileage and when you get to see te car tape over the odometer. Now check out the car, like it? Remove the tape.

Then again, I do all my own work and can easily spot a POS pretty easily.

Dave

You are so right, Dave. I do have a strong propensity to over-analyse....as is readily apparent. 

Before reading your post, I've been spending this entire evening still looking up idiosyncracies about Dodge's and writing a list of things I need to check out tomorrow morning.

But, I am now going to try to chill. (operative word being "try"  :blush: ) I've analysed this thing to death and have exhausted even myself. lol

Edited to add: Confirmed with seller tonight that he is still meeting us tomorrow morning to show van.

In the case of my van, the Carfax report showed it as unregistered for something like 12 years. The mileage gauge only has 5 spaces so did it really have 168,000? Was it sitting in someones back forty or used for 100,000 miles without being legal? Either way, I was cautious and took a mechanic friend with me to look at it. There was smoke coming out of one of the wheels, that would have scared me off but my friend said no big deal and I got $200 off the already low price. Sure enough, a new caliper and it was good to go. I really lucked out, the darned thing has been rock solid other than the usual maintenance stuff. I prefer old vehicles and am now looking at a 96 Ranger with a rebuilt engine. Even an old lady like me can put in a new starter or do a tuneup without all the electronic stuff added. There are negatives (no power windows) but less things that can go wrong. Good luck with your purchase.

djkeev said:
Dont over think this and lose a good vehicle.

I don't keep records much. I service them for my benefit, not an unknown somebody 10 years from now.
My grandparents would cover brand new upholstery with miserable plastic covers so the seat covers woukd be like new when they sold the car!
Idiotic!  If I paid for velour seats...... I'm sitting on them!

Dave

My thoughts exactly!  I own my vehicle for me.  A family friend just sold her 2000 Jeep cherokee, she was the original owner and had seat covers on it the entire life of the car, god awful bad fitting ones at that, she'd have to adjust every time she got in.  Took them off for the sale and the seats looked brand new, and she was a little upset, realizing she never once got to enjoy her brand new seats.  And on a 17 year old car, you don't get anymore money because your seats look great.  

Kind of the same mindset everyone has now a days when they remodel their homes.  And they don't do what they want, they do what is considered "good for resale"  I'm living in it, i'll do what I want.  That's the next person's issue to change it if they don't like it.  I'm not going to try and read the mind of some person in the future.  

Anyways, sorry for going a little off topic.  I hope it's exactly what you're hoping for when you go look at it today.  It looks really nice in the photos.  Im actually excited for you, I love lower mileage vehicles

PineyCruisin said:

We were thinking no more than $100 deposit to hold vehicle if wanting an inspection, but no more. Does this sound reasonable?

What I've done to "hold" a vehicle is to pay them (normally $20/day) to pull the ad, and reserve my place in the buyer-que for X-number of days. So in theory, if you paid $100, you should have 5 days to rearrange finances or consider other options. Of course you have to consider who you're dealing with since I'm sure there are more than a few people out there that are only worried about "Self," and would gladly take your money with no intention of honoring the agreement - though a (even rudimentary) contract might discourage that. Cotton

Welp....I'll give the Cliff Notes version.

Eyeball test and initial inspection:

• Undercarriage  -  Pretty good for NE (just some surface rust) and no leaks. PASSED
  • Paint and body - eh. Not bad for 14 yr. old car, but not "excellent" as advertised. No rust or bubbling. PASSED
  • Interior & accessories - all in working order and clean interior. PASSED
  • Engine & components- quiet, stable idle, no leaks, no rattles squeals or other noises, fluids full and clean, etc. PASSED
Road test:
  • Hard shifting in upper gears. Hmm. Not good on a supposedly newly-rebuilt transmission. Need professional inspection
  • Clunking noise when turning sharp left. Uh oh, possible ball joints. It's starting to add up.
  • Deep thudding heard *and* felt in the middle of van every time before coming to complete stop. What the hell is that? OK, time to bail on this van.  
  • Driving slowly over speed bump--entire front end rattles loudly, shook, rumbled, and clanked. All four passengers "Woah!". OMG. Are we going to get back to our car alive?

The search continues....... :dodgy:

Bummer, well guess you didn't need a professional appraisal after all. I don't mind when a used vehicle doesn't work out but I kinda get pissed when the seller doesn't at least give a heads up to some of the issues. Just means they're trying to pass off a pile of problems to someone else. And he'll find someone that knows nothing and just buys it on his word.

I hear ya, ERLH. That's exactly what hubby and I said afterwards...we pity the people that buy that thing. Both the van and the owner were "Dodgey" (pun intended). 

I always respect the ads that list all the short comings. And, I'm starting to be wary of the word "excellent" in the condition on ads on very old vans.

Transmission & front chassis problems add up quick. Too bad it didn't work out, but I'm glad you didn't buy a van plagued with problems. Good luck with your ongoing search. Cotton

I'm so glad, too. And I'm also glad we didn't spend money on an inspection only to find out it was plagued with problems. We are kind of making a joke about the whole ordeal....it was like something out of a bad sitcom but we wouldn't be laughing about it if it cost us $85 or more (cost of inspection around here)

I also wanted to thank you, CT, about how much money is usually needed for owners to hold vehicles and such. I didn't know any of that!

Appears to be a future disaster around the corner.

Something will come around... I'm thinking positive for ya'. :)

sounds like the area below your gut(almost) made its opinion known too,,,,sounds like a salt on the road state dodge

PineyCruisier said:
I always respect the ads that list all the short comings. And, I'm starting to be wary of the word "excellent" in the condition on ads on very old vans.

In my case, I'm wondering if I've been too honest in my ad.  Three calls and only one couple showed up.  They hinted at making payments and when I told them I needed the cash to buy something else, they were suddenly not interested.  I know the age scares people but maybe if I didn't list all the issues, I'd at least get a few people to come see it.

Like everyone else said, you "dodged" that bullet, ahem.  (Sorry  :rolleyes: )

Glad that you did all the pre-checks and the driving, and had other "eyes and ears" with you. 

It's very difficult being up in the NE and looking for a low-rust (nothing seems to be rust free) used van.  I hope you can find it soon, I understand it is frustrating. Maybe either go back over your list of "wants" and see if you can pay more, or broaden your geographical search area.  

Going through an acquaintance/friend/family member may be a better attempt, if you think you can get some vehicle information from them. 
The other thing might be ex-Ryder lease sales.

I don't know your budget but at least the "white van" Ryder sell-offs have been maintained. Go to "Ryder.com/used" or "usedtrucks/Ryder.com". 

Here's one in Syracuse NY:

[font=Roboto, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ryder Certified™
VEH.# 484440 (2012)
GM Tg13405
Syracuse, Ny 
View More Details

$8,843 USD
Estimate Payments[/font]

[font=Roboto, Helvetica, sans-serif]Color:  White
GVW:  7200 LB
GMC

Engine Model:
4.3'10 Mfi 195/4600

Transmission:
Auto  
Transmission Speeds: 6
VIN NUMBER: .....C1145325
Mileage:187,823 MI[/font]

decodancer said:
  In my case, I'm wondering if I've been too honest in my ad.  I know the age scares people but maybe if I didn't list all the issues, I'd at least get a few people to come see it.

Your ad showed up in one of my CL searches last week and noticed it before a poster here mentioned you were selling it! I also noticed that you re-posted it again today when I checked my searches.

I thought your ad was actually quite good. It told me, as a buyer, that you knew the vehicle well and that the only things wrong with it were inconsequential and/or relatively inexpensive fixes. You also stressed the positives enough to make the van sound like a good buy. That ad is exactly the kind I gravitate toward. The things that stopped me from contacting you were--no passenger seat, a more finished interior and, to a lesser extent, that it was used a dog grooming station.

I hope I'm not being too bold, DD, but have you considered deleting that whole line about what the vehicle was used for in the past? I can't see how knowing that info would persuade a buyer but instead may actually deter those who aren't avid dog people. Also, you may want to consider adding the word "conversion" in your ad so you get more people like me who are searching those type of vehicles (I caught yours because I have a more general "van" search apart from my "conversion" search).

I wish you all the best in your selling. I just went thru the selling process a couple weeks ago so I know what it's like on both ends myself.