2015 or newer GM Van, 2017 4.8 or 6.0??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Look for a 4.8, or 4.3 V6 or 6.0?

• Total voters

Aesop

Reaction score
Currently helping a family member pick out a GM Cargo van. And they want to get the exact or as close to it as Bob Wells has (2015 or newer, 2500, non extended, 4.8 Vortec V8, GMC Savana with the running boards)

I was just wondering since GM stopped putting the 4.8 V8 in their vans in 2017 which was the last year.

Now they only put the 4.3 V6 , the 6.0 liter V8 and a 2.8 liter 4 cylinder diesel engine.

We just took a look at a dealership (stealership) which had a 2017 GMC Savana with the 4.8, non extended, had running boards and bumper guards. However I can only speak for myself, but I was not impressed with it and think we can do better!

So my family member is pretty insistent on getting EXACTLY what Bob Wells has which is a 4.8. But I am currently trying to convince them to possibly think about getting a near new, low mileage (which is what he recommends) 6.0 liter v8 since that is all they really make anymore.

He said in his 2017 video, the 4.8, 5.3 and the 6.0 are the best engines ever put in a van, and my family member wants what he has which is the 4.8 and I am trying to convince them to at least consider the 6.0 as we stand a decent chance of finding one of them that isn't used and abused lol.

With the 6.0 at least you can tow, but you sacrifice gas mileage unlike the 4.8

Just wanted to see what people think.

I should probably mention that my family member watches a lot of Well's videos and they have been pretty ardent on getting exactly what he has, which is the savana 4.8. However the chevy express is the exact same.

I have a 6.0L in a 2012 Express 3500, so far I like it. it pulls good, and has the I think 6 speed with 5th and 6th both being overdrive. it does me good.

My 4.8 is a fine motor, I really like it. I had a 6.0 and it did love gas.

this is a response to both of the above persons.

yeah my family member doesn't really plan on doing any towing really... too bad they didn't manufacture the 4.8 in any year later than 2017...

As of today, 2/1/2021, the Chevy website for the Express only lists the:

• 4.6L V6
  • 6L V8
  • 2.8L Duramax turbo diesel 4-cyl 
Anyone have knowledgeable opinions on the V6 ?

i believe it's similar to the ford f150 ecoboost where yeah its a v6 engine but they have an eco or turbo boost where it simulates the power of a stronger  engine. but still fundamentally a v6 engine

I had a GMC sonoma highrider with the 4.3-- good engine and tough truck. I put it through hell as I was going down trails in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont to get to remote lakes fly fishing. It never let me down even under extreme use! The 4.3 is basically a 350 with two cylinders shaved off the block and many parts are interchangeable. One thing to bear in mind is that even with the V6 I only got 14mpg on the highway. But for climbing mountains and fording streams it had plenty of power.