Looking at Upgrading to a 2500 3/4 ton

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aesop

Reaction score
Hello,

I just drove up my 2004 chevy express 1500 awd from SE WA State/NE Oregon all the way thru canada to Anchorage, Alaska. I tried to utilize cruise control almost all the time and got 17 miles to the gallon. Here in Anchorage, with mostly city driving (stop-and-go traffic, red lights, etc) upon first fill-up i averaged 12 miles to the gallon.

I now see why a 2500 3/4 ton is better. The dips and potholes in the road were easily felt in my half-ton van with AWD.

Here in Anchorage, I test drove a 2015 chevy express 2500 with the 4.8 liter vortec v8 and the 6-speed automatic. It did not appear to have cruise control (I guess on the newer chevy/GM vans the cruise control is on the steering wheel, not on the blinker handle)

My question is because that now currently in May/June 2022 because gas prices are at a historic high, should I try to find a 2500 GM van with the 4.8 and 6-speed auto? The last year they put the 4.8 in was in model year 2017 unfortunaley. So now all those 2015-2017 vans with the 4.8 all probably all have a decent amount of mileage on them and are over-priced. Because of the vehicle shortage lol. I saw a 2020 GMC Savana 2500 cargo van with the 6.0 for sale on craigslist at a dealer's lot for $47k! Meanwhile I go on the GMC website and can custom build one on that website and have it come out to about $36k-$38K brand new from the factory! In other words, I can get a brand new van for $10k less than what that dealer is asking for!

I guess I would just like some advice on whether to hunt for a 2015-2017 2500 GM van with the 4.8 or go with a 4.3 Liter V6 mated to an 8-speed automatic or go with a 6.0 liter v8 2500 van, OR just have my funding and finances organized for a brand new GMC Savana 2500 with the 6.6 liter L8T gas engine mated to a 6 speed automatic.

Needless to say, I would first have to secure funding and have my finances organized before even getting serious about buying a new-to-me vehicle, however it never hurts to start the search early!

But yeah, in all seriousness, I'm just wondering what y'all would think with (current) gas prices being at a historic high, I can try searching for a 4.8 and possibly get 20mpg MAX or a 4.3 liter v6 or even better the newer (2021 model year and up) 6.6 liter L8T gas engine, but man that engine just sounds like a gas hog!

It will depend on how you use the vehicle the majority of the time with the funds you have available, as transportation or a living space or both. Fuel mileage doesn’t matter much if the van is broken from abusive wear. Fuel mileage doesn’t matter much if you don’t use it daily for short trips. Fuel mileage doesn’t matter much if you have enough money to afford to get to your next job or where you need to be. Using other means of economical daily transportation may be a better solution. Knowing you have a home that will last and get you where you need to be is more important to me than fuel mileage as long as I can pay fuel costs. If not start looking for a better way.

It will depend on how you use the vehicle the majority of the time with the funds you have available, as transportation or a living space or both. Fuel mileage doesn’t matter much if the van is broken from abusive wear. Fuel mileage doesn’t matter much if you don’t use it daily for short trips. Fuel mileage doesn’t matter much if you have enough money to afford to get to your next job or where you need to be. Using other means of economical daily transportation may be a better solution. Knowing you have a home that will last and get you where you need to be is more important to me than fuel mileage as long as I can pay fuel costs. If not start looking for a better way.
Good point! Having and owning a cargo van (while at least with the GM vans and their thirsty V8's) is/are one of the most versatile vehicles to own. Having one means you'll always have a place to sleep (in the cargo area). You can take it on a road trip to a bigger city/metro area and not pay motel fees, thereby saving money. And yeah, gas to me is like water, if you don't got a car you're SoL, stuck taking the city bus even if there is one. You always gotta have money to pay for gas, it is Essential. and yeah, maybe a different gas saver driver is a better option for driving such as a geo metro or a Toyota prius or Toyota corolla or VW bug.

I'd get a 1 ton diesel, my last 2 Dodge/Cummins got 24mpg. My '93 Ford 1 ton Ambo w/ a non computer 7.3 gets 17-18 mpg looks almost new w/88k miles but I may have to part with it due to health issues.

I'd get a 1 ton diesel, my last 2 Dodge/Cummins got 24mpg. My '93 Ford 1 ton Ambo w/ a non computer 7.3 gets 17-18 mpg looks almost new w/88k miles but I may have to part with it due to health issues.
Could you PM over some pictures? Idk about a diesel cargo van. The price of diesel is (in the states) normally always more than gasoline. Plus idk if I wanna deal with this DEF/DPF nonsense.

It's no cargo van. It's fully insulated, wired, finished with all the best material Ford E350 1 ton with a Horton body.. Heat & air front & rear. No DEF/DPF to deal with. No rust, runs, looks & drives like new. Is registered, tagged & insured as a motorhome. Why do you think Bob Wells got an ambo? He wanted the best. Here's the engine, best diesel Ford made. Info on the engine, 2nd eng pic downhttps://autowise.com/ford-diesel-engine-history/ This one (International) & my 5.9 12 valve cummins a set of injectors are under $300 for a 7.3 power stroke are $3000 a set so I know where the stroke came from. Had new tires, 250 amp altenator & serp belt, Also 2 new batteries when I bought it. It was the backup or spare in a small firehouse. I drove it 300+ miles home @ 75-80 & got about 16mpg & it will drive hands off.

It's no cargo van. It's fully insulated, wired, finished with all the best material Ford E350 1 ton with a Horton body.. Heat & air front & rear. No DEF/DPF to deal with. No rust, runs, looks & drives like new. Is registered, tagged & insured as a motorhome. Why do you think Bob Wells got an ambo? He wanted the best. Here's the engine, best diesel Ford made. Info on the engine, 2nd eng pic downhttps://autowise.com/ford-diesel-engine-history/ This one (International) & my 5.9 12 valve cummins a set of injectors are under $300 for a 7.3 power stroke are $3000 a set so I know where the stroke came from. Had new tires, 250 amp altenator & serp belt, Also 2 new batteries when I bought it. It was the backup or spare in a small firehouse. I drove it 300+ miles home @ 75-80 & got about 16mpg & it will drive hands off.

I guess the issue is finding one in good shape. That's incredible gas mileage for that heavy truck/Ambo that's for sure.

Hello,

I just drove up my 2004 chevy express 1500 awd from SE WA State/NE Oregon all the way thru canada to Anchorage, Alaska. I tried to utilize cruise control almost all the time and got 17 miles to the gallon. Here in Anchorage, with mostly city driving (stop-and-go traffic, red lights, etc) upon first fill-up i averaged 12 miles to the gallon.

I now see why a 2500 3/4 ton is better. The dips and potholes in the road were easily felt in my half-ton van with AWD.

Here in Anchorage, I test drove a 2015 chevy express 2500 with the 4.8 liter vortec v8 and the 6-speed automatic. It did not appear to have cruise control (I guess on the newer chevy/GM vans the cruise control is on the steering wheel, not on the blinker handle)

My question is because that now currently in May/June 2022 because gas prices are at a historic high, should I try to find a 2500 GM van with the 4.8 and 6-speed auto? The last year they put the 4.8 in was in model year 2017 unfortunaley. So now all those 2015-2017 vans with the 4.8 all probably all have a decent amount of mileage on them and are over-priced. Because of the vehicle shortage lol. I saw a 2020 GMC Savana 2500 cargo van with the 6.0 for sale on craigslist at a dealer's lot for $47k! Meanwhile I go on the GMC website and can custom build one on that website and have it come out to about $36k-$38K brand new from the factory! In other words, I can get a brand new van for $10k less than what that dealer is asking for!

I guess I would just like some advice on whether to hunt for a 2015-2017 2500 GM van with the 4.8 or go with a 4.3 Liter V6 mated to an 8-speed automatic or go with a 6.0 liter v8 2500 van, OR just have my funding and finances organized for a brand new GMC Savana 2500 with the 6.6 liter L8T gas engine mated to a 6 speed automatic.

Needless to say, I would first have to secure funding and have my finances organized before even getting serious about buying a new-to-me vehicle, however it never hurts to start the search early!

But yeah, in all seriousness, I'm just wondering what y'all would think with (current) gas prices being at a historic high, I can try searching for a 4.8 and possibly get 20mpg MAX or a 4.3 liter v6 or even better the newer (2021 model year and up) 6.6 liter L8T gas engine, but man that engine just sounds like a gas hog!
6.6 will actually get better mpg than the 6.0. It's a newer more efficient engine and the reports I've seen suggests it gets a couple of mpg better.

Unless you can order from a dealer or online and then are willing to wait quite a while or can snatch one up as it becomes available, I don't see any solution to the car price problem for awhile. I just had a ton of unexpected work done on my van but and if something had been available I might have dumped it but very little is available - so I was obligated to fix it - and will be in it at least for then next year. Hopefully in a year or so things will iron themselves out. Oh for the day of the regular 3K discounts on these vans....

6.6 will actually get better mpg than the 6.0. It's a newer more efficient engine and the reports I've seen suggests it gets a couple of mpg better.

Unless you can order from a dealer or online and then are willing to wait quite a while or can snatch one up as it becomes available, I don't see any solution to the car price problem for awhile. I just had a ton of unexpected work done on my van but and if something had been available I might have dumped it but very little is available - so I was obligated to fix it - and will be in it at least for then next year. Hopefully in a year or so things will iron themselves out. Oh for the day of the regular 3K discounts on these vans....
well, the dealer I spoke to in may 2022, said that because the van I built on the gmc website was pretty basic. g80 locking differential, cruise control, chrome package. that it would be pretty basic and easy to build at the factory there in Wentzville, MO. I would be prepared to wait 6 months, but I would hope to only wait 3 to 4 months ideally.

well, the dealer I spoke to in may 2022, said that because the van I built on the gmc website was pretty basic. g80 locking differential, cruise control, chrome package. that it would be pretty basic and easy to build at the factory there in Wentzville, MO. I would be prepared to wait 6 months, but I would hope to only wait 3 to 4 months ideally.
That would be a great van. Love the fact they now come with locking differentials. They didn't use to.

...utilize cruise control...

I now see why a 2500 3/4 ton is better...

My question is...
.. lol...

I guess I would just like some advice...

Needless to say, I would first...

But yeah, in all seriousness, I'm just wondering what y'all would think with (current) gas prices being at a historic high...
a)
Prior to our suggestions, I want to examine your RequirementsStatement.
For example:
* full-time?
* number of souls aboard?
* purpose/intention for a vehicle instead of a stand-still house
* comfort level of food/water/tools/meds and dirty laundry stashed under the seat...
...and probably as important as anything...
* mechanical skills, carpentry skills, 12vdc skills... you know, the usual 'resilience' inventory of experience.
2003, for our ExpeditionVehicle, the major reasons we went with a HDT (Heavy-Duty Truck):
* square box without curves to match for cabinets and bulkheads
* standing headroom
* massive ground-clearance
* massive tires we can grind across deserts and through swamps
* commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) parts and service.
Our old rig has a Cummins mechanical diesel, no computers.
Pretty much any 'shade-tree mechanic' could fix it with a crusty fork, bailing wire, and the judicious application of semi-new duct-tape.
As you might imagine, we are reluctant to recommend without knowing you and your use.
Our attitude comes after a half-century of make-do camping in lesser rigs... plus a year and a hundred thousand miles delivering RecreateVehicles manufacturer-to-dealer and dealer-to-shows.
For sharts-n-giggles, we read RecreateVehicle forums such as IRV2.
Based on their experience coupled with our RecreateVehicles experience, we are convinced any vehicle a decade or two out of warranty is far more reliable than anything new.
An aside:
We are also convinced factory RecreateVehicle Quality Control consists of the purchaser camping in the repair-shop parking-lot while waiting on non-existent parts.
And we honestly truly believe Exhaust Fluid contraptions are demonically possessed.
They will 100% guaranteed fail, often on the way home from the dealer.
b)
re -- cruise-control
My tiny brains and eye-to-throttlefoot coordination offer better mpg than one more electronic gadget.
Opinion.
Electronic gizmos... gadzooks [holds two crossed fingers in 'vampire ward-off']!
c)
re -- mpg
We rarely travel more than a hundred miles a month.
Fuel is a very minor part of our budget.
Our foray into Alaska from Oregon took most of six months.
Our mosey back south was on a series of ferries, with frequent get-offs at interesting places.
On IRV2 and other RecreateVehicles forums, hundreds of threads discuss 'seeing fifty states in fifty hours'.
I exaggerate.
And yet, we are reluctant to share the road with maniacs intent on racking miles to fulfill their brag-rights.
Opinion.
So... to wrap this up...
... how many used bloomers does it take for you to invest an afternoon at a laundromat?
A month's worth?
A couple times a year?
This's our way of saying 'everybody is different'.
Weird, huh?