Another van for CRVL pre-inspection.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PineyCruisin

Reaction score
We are going to see this 2003 Dodge 1500 with 5.2L and 58K first thing Sunday morning.

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/6101403554.html

The Carfax has a good odometer history to verify the mileage. Here's the report (hope you can view OK): 2003 Dodge Carfax Report

When asked about undercarriage rust he said that van was purchased it from snowbirds in NJ who took the van to Florida over the winter (substantiated via Carfax....van was even purchased, registered and serviced in FL) and that the body was in perfect condition. I'm assuming since he didn't mention the undercarriage specifically he doesn't know so will find out for ourselves, I suppose. 

Is selling because his wife does not like to drive it and they don't use much.

I also asked why the transmission was replaced so early and he said that the only thing his mechanic could figure is that the vehicle sat too long and didn't have transmission oil replaced in timely manner (??). The warranty was a hand-shake only since local shop, not transferrable, but is expiring soon anyway (3yrs).

Cant think of anything else worth noting.

My biggest concern is the state of the vehicle since it really hasn't been used much in its lifetime. Owner said they do use it around town (he couldn't schedule us to see it when speaking because he had to talk to his wife to see when she'd be using it) so its not totally sitting unused. But, is there anything else we should be looking for in an older vehicle with low mileage?

As always, really appreciate the opinions!

Seems like a pretty good and clean van to me. I think those 5.2's were a good engine. I wouldn't worry about why the tranny got replaced if it got replaced and is working fine now. Just means you get a tranny with less miles than the rest of the vehicle.

I've had trouble buying older lower mileage cars, but they were extremely low mileage vehicles, under 15k on vehicles over 15 yrs old. I don't think this mileage is so low that it would have issues because of it, but it is low enough to be getting a good/great van!

I'd just check for the normal used car items. No strange engine noises, tranny shifts smooth thru all the gears, including reverse, undercarriage rust isn't totally rotted out, etc. I think this is one of those deals that won't hang around that long before someone buys it.

Thanks! That puts my mind at ease about the tranmission and the mileage.

Yeah, I'm very worried that by the time Sunday rolls around I'll get a text that it's been sold. I emailed him within a couple hours of him posting it but he didn't get back to me until yesterday and when I said I'd like to see it as soon as he is available he said not until the weekend. Then he didn't finalize the day/time until this morning. I'm not sure if it was too forward of me but I asked him yesterday if alot of people are scheduled to see it (to get an idea of where in line I was) and he said I was the first one he contacted. I'm hoping that means I am also the first to see it.

Maybe he is just taking his time about showing it (meanwhile I'm chomping at the bit).

I just thought of another question.....

Is there any circumstance under which you would forego an inspection by a professional mechanic? 

The reason I ask is because I know this van will be sold immediately and am afraid that if I try to schedule an inspection (it took 3 days for him to get back to me and finalize a viewing date/time), he's going to go with someone who is willing to simply hand over the cash. I certainly don't want to buy a money pit but since it only has 58K miles, my biggest concern is the rust and thought that if the front end looks really, really good can assume the rest of the car is OK.

Is it too risky to forego the professional inspection?

It seems like you're emotionally invested already; go with your gut instincts and let the chips fall as they may. It's a good amount of money not to have an inspection. Anyone on the up-and-up would understand that. I can usually tell from the "surface" of looking at a vehicle and with test drive if it needs further looking into. As a full-time nomad (if that's you?), I would have an inspection.

Do you have an inspection location in mind yet? If not, and if you're on facebook, find a local community (to the van) page for help/business leads.

All comes down to being practical over "wanting it so bad." Good luck! :)

it looks like it was well maintained,,if it drives good and gives you a good gut feeling, get it,,,because if it really is as good as it looks it won't be around long,,just look for rust like you've been advised..

A quick NADA search told me that they're asking top retail price for this van, and maybe it's worth it, but if you're not mechanically knowledgeable enough to give it a thorough inspection, have it looked over by a pro to be sure - better to throw away $60 than $6,000. It would seem to me that the mileage isn't bad for the age, but all unused engines get leaky eventually, so watch out for that. Good luck with your purchase, and try NOT to get too excited - I know it's hard, but you'll lose negotiation position if the seller see's you swoon. Hope it goes well for ya, Cotton

Looks great!

A virtual twin to my 03 only without the weather/riad rash.... better taken care of on the exterior. And without the heinous decals! Not overdone with interior wood.

Good luck!

Dave

Maybe I've done this the wrong way but I've actually never taken a vehicle in for pre-purchase inspection. I'm not a mechanic by any means but I do have a general idea of what things are supposed to look and sound like. Maybe I'm just lucky

Thanks, all.

@CautionToTheWind - I've had too many letdowns to be too emotionally invested in a van anymore. What may be perceived as "I've got to have it" is really more like "I don't want to let an opportunity for a good, solid vehicle get away". Hope this is the one but if not, oh well. Will not be a full-timer in this vehicle (will be used as a weekender/vacation camper) so its not as imperative to have it be long-term trouble free. Although, don't get me wrong....who wants to buy a lemon.

@CareTaker - I think we are leaning toward taking your advice and doing a thorough inspection ourselves then going with our gut. If something doesn't sound right or look right but not sure if its a dealbreaker, we'll try to get an inspection.

@CottonTexas - I can't seem to find any accurate Nada figures for conversion vans. Happen to have a link for this van? Not many vans of that year and that many miles start at that low of an asking price (unless obviously something wrong with them) around here so I have no idea what is a fair price. It was like that when coming up with a fair price for my Jeep Wrangler. The prices were usually ridiculous and all over the place.

@Dave - is it really? I'm not crazy about the color....but I don't give a damn really, if it's got no rust problems, has all of my "want" items, seemingly well taken care of *and* low mileage I'd drive around in a pink one. (OK maybe I'm exaggerating a bit...maybe I wouldn't  :p  ) . 

@Optimistic Paranoid - I looked at that one when she first posted on CL! Is she really from CRVL? Wow. Seems like a good vehicle but we really want a finished interior so that made me pass on this one.

@DuneElliot - Funny you say this....b/c I have purchased around 9 or 10 used vehicles in my lifetime and none of them had a pre-purchase inspection. A thorough look and a test drive usually showed any problems. Only one of those cars didn't make it long and that was mostly our fault (we should have had a timing belt change). Save that one bad apple that was nearing 80K, none of the rest were more than 5 or so yrs old and more than around 40K miles either.

The only thing that has changed now is that I'm a little more wary looking at older vehicles...and some with lots more miles than we are used to. Believe me, if this van was 5 yrs old or less with 58K, we wouldn't even be considering a pre-inspection.

How far away are you from the seller? If its a bit of a drive I would ask the seller to let you have a chance to purchase before going there. Sometime CL sellers will sell to anyone first with cash and not keep promises and waste your time and gas. Yeah when money is involved some sellers only for themselves vs integrity and respectful. Just a tip thats all. Hope everything goes well.

DuneElliot said:
Maybe I've done this the wrong way but I've actually never taken a vehicle in for pre-purchase inspection. I'm not a mechanic by any means but I do have a general idea of what things are supposed to look and sound like. Maybe I'm just lucky

Same here,  I'm no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but can trouble shoot and fix the basics.  I've never brought along a mechanic, just look for the normal stuff and go with my gut.  So far i've been pretty lucky.

I think I can recall a few threads on here where people have missed out because they sold it to someone else while they were trying to line up an independent inspection.  You kind of have to make a personal choice in that regard.  I think people's situations would dictate to an extent on which way to go.  It's kind of different for someone who needs to live in a vehicle and using all their money to buy it vs someone looking for one for weekend excursions and it's not going to ruin their life if it needs some unexpected larger repairs right out of the gate and then every situation in between.  See where you fall on that scale and can use that as a general guide as to whether or not you want an inspection vs buying it with out one as to not miss out on it.  Or bring a friend or family member with you with some vehicle buying experience for a good unbiased opinion.  I know when I start drooling for something on CL no ones going to be able to talk me out of it anyways.  The mind has a way of justifying what the brain wants

PineyCruisin said:
@CottonTexas - I can't seem to find any accurate Nada figures for conversion vans. Happen to have a link for this van? Not many vans of that year and that many miles start at that low of an asking price (unless obviously something wrong with them) around here so I have no idea what is a fair price. It was like that when coming up with a fair price for my Jeep Wrangler. The prices were usually ridiculous and all over the place.

Well, a conversion doesn't add any "book" value, so you just tick off all the extras that go along with such as "Premium Wheels" and "Convenience Package" or whatever.  The 2003 model goes to Sprinter, so I plugged it in for a 2002.

LINK:  http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2002/Dodge/Ram-Van-2500-3-4-Ton-V8/Wagon-127-6/Values

I honestly only use book value references as a very loose guide since the actual value is usually a very different number depending on such things as color combination and readily available buyers, but 99.9% of the time I use it to mark the absolute highest I would ever pay for any particular vehicle, so that's where I begin negotiations.  Just my 2¢  Cotton

I've been watching Ebay,RVT,RVtrader for the last 6/8 years, and the price is in line with what I've been seeing, salt on the road states make me nervous tho, but you got what you got.

For whatever reason, the NADA link is now opening to a page that reads ~$4500, but the one I looked up said $6500-ish, but anyway, I just did a quick look through CL (which I admit I haven't done in a while), and I guess I'd forgotten the demand for these vans since they were a lot more than I originally thought.

That is a nice looking van. I know I like it. I too have bought many used vehicles over the years and only had one pre-inspected. And yes it actually did help. Not that I wouldn't have bought it either way, but he did point out to me some areas of concern/may need repair soon. I really don't have much to add other than I'm glad I found this site. I have learned a lot from reading here and based on that, I have already eliminated several vans not to buy. Good luck with your decision and let us know what comes of this deal.

Only other thing to add is that if you can take someone else along who knows vehicles, can drive and crawl underneath and promises to give you an unemotional 3rd person "+" or "-", that could help you. 

Now the problem with this is that you "get what you pay for" and your "friend" may not want to oppose your like of the van. Just sayin' that it appears you want it regardless, from the comments. 

I don't know how far away you are from the vehicle. It's really not that hard to take the van for a drive to a mechanic and ask them to give it a "used car inspection". Most shops are not so seriously backed up that they can't shake someone loose for a few minutes.

Lastly, you do what you want, you have to live with it. All I know is that the more I wanted a vehicle, the more the seller could tell and I always regretted buying too quick. But that's me, not you.

I greatly appreciate all the posts and info. Believe me, I take all into consideration.

It still sounds like I have given the impression that I was aching to get this vehicle and would buy it no matter what. I really didn't mean to because although it has quite a few positives (in Florida during winters, low mileage, new transmission),  there are also a few uncertainties that could/would make us walk away from it: Rust, no service records (the carfax doesn't show many so requested to see more from the owner), suspect transmission or engine problems when we inspect/test drive.....just a few things off the top of my head. 

And, truth be told, I was much more excited about the 2000 Ford we were to see last week. I think I'm still a little let down from that one.

I believe one thing I failed to mention is that the carfax doesn't document enough service records for our liking and have requested that the owner provide more maintanence receipts/records. If he can't provide enough, this is definitely going to be used in negotiations. Also, this will probably determine if we really press for a professional inspection before finalizing our offer (that and finding something in our own inspection/test drive).