Another Leap of Faith in Texas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcool

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Due to the rising cost of living, I've been truly contemplating on living in my 2010 Honda Civic here in Dallas, TX.
My lease is up in about 2 months and I'm not planning to renew just to get stuck in another 1 year lease.
However, I just had some concerns about this transition. Such as dealing with the summer heat here in Texas.

I've researched ways to deal with the heat such as tinting my windows, getting a battery powered fan and wetting my face.
Cracking the window for fresh air. But I'm just concerned about my electronics like my laptop and digital camera.
Have you guys had any issues leaving your electronics in a hot car every day?
How do you amazing guys and gals protect your electronics from extreme temperatures?

Welcome maxcool to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome maxcool! Can't answer your questions, but I'm sure there are plenty here who can!

Welcome Maxcool, as a neighbor of yours in Ft Worth let me burst your bubble gently. Even with all windows down and a fan, the temperature in your car will be deadly. Not almost deadly, but seriously deadly.

As a test park your car within sight and leave it however you want to configure it with a thermometer in it. Even in the shade 105 is 105. I would go to plan B.

Rob

+2 what Gunny said. That would be pretty brutal. Do you work daytime so you wouldn't normally be in the car during the heat of the day? Even if so, when it doesn't even get down to 80 overnight during the summer, that would make it hard to get any sleep like that.

Welcome!

When I have left my iPad in the car, I have found it shut off when I got back. Red warning about being too hot.
I wonder about the laptop, etc. but, this seemed be an issue for the Apple products

In an area as large as Dallas there may be places where there are small lockers you can rent and have a key along with 24/7 access.  It may be an Airline Terminal, Train Station, University,  Gym,  etc.  I've seen those where you drop in a coin an the key will release so you can open the door and stow your items.  The only drawback is that they request you come back and remove your stuff in 48 hour intervals.  Then you can get a different locker.  

Around Military Bases there may be "Locker Clubs".   The idea was that military personnel could pay a fee to belong to one and then rent a Locker and stow stuff there that may not be legal on Base.  They may also stow Civilian Clothing to change into when they get leave. 

Such places have varying sizes of lockers but these would be common around Gyms, Colleges etc.

DSC05924.jpg

If you had a Gym membership to a place like Planet Fitness and if they had lockers you could rent, then you could stow your electronics there or use them while recharging them and have a 24/7 access as well as hit the showers and clean up,  exercise or watch TV in the lounge or whatever.

Put them in a cooler in the lowest part of the car.
Even that is no guarantee they won't get too hot.
Can you carry a backpack in to wherever you work ?
And welcome aboard the crazy train.......aaaaaaaaaallllllllll aaaaaaabbbbbbooooooaaaaaaarrrrd!

Hi,

Have you checked with rv parks in your area? The rent there is probably a lot less than your apartment. You could either get a used camper or rent a park model. Even if the rv park isn't your ideal place to live, you could spend most of your time in your car or at a park but you'll still have a cool place to go to when needed. Then maybe you could save up enough money for an rv or van with ac.

Just a thought.....

I had thought about this last year and nearly forgotten about it. 

There are stands you drive your car onto to hold them in pace.   Then you can mount a
hammock on them.  If you had the hammock on the back side of the car to hide it from the
street...stealth....and on the other side of the hammock was a wooded area or otherwise
uninhabited lot you may be able to sneak some snooze time in the cool of the evening or night.

eno2.jpg

But I wouldn't use just any old hammock.   I'd look for and purchase an old Military Issue Jungle Hammock like this.  Where there is a tent roof and mosquito netting joins the sides of the hammock to the roof.  You can get in and zip the net so you are all enclosed and insects can't get in.  These are Army Green and some times they are Cammo.  You could make hammock extensions to hold the tent/roof up.   As the hammock stands
break down it wouldn't be difficult to break camp in a hurry.  Just take down the jungle hammock and roll it up.  Dismantle the stand and start the car and move it forward a couple feet so you can pick up the support bases and pack all of this stuff up in a Duffel Bag to stow and then move on.  In the nicer months this could
be a solution for travel.

e8511e863c0449c61ae54552c821d611.jpg

I've seen these for as little as $35 dollars and as much as $150.  Walmart offers this one for $61.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Military-Style-Jungle-Hammock-Shelter-with-Mosquito-Netting/38665131

These stands sell for $200+  but if you know a welder who would fabricate them for you from scrap metal
they could probably be made much cheaper.  and set up for the Jungle Hammock, so they would work
perfectly with it.

Hi!

I am renting a climate control storage unit in San Antonio to store that kind of stuff, found one for about $40.00 a month. Good Luck!!

I just have to say that after reading all the responses I received which I truly appreciate.
I feel like I'm part of the family already. Such a humble compassionate community which is rare nowadays.
So many great ideas especially the storage lockers for my electronics. :D

NO1UKNO said:
Hi!

I am renting a climate control storage unit in San Antonio to store that kind of stuff, found one for about $40.00 a month. Good Luck!!

I've read about people living in storage units. Not sure how they avoid the management finding out but that's a low cost option for a safe, dry place to sleep at night.

[quote pid='288129' dateline='1493682448']
Only using it for storage. End of MayI will be urban living out of my Fiat  :D 
[/quote]

Welcome to CRVL MaxCool.

As far as heat and laptops (I cant speak really for other electronics, all devices are built differently & most often without onboard fans)... As an IT professional for well over 15 years, 8 of which are a compilation of overseas military service and training in the likes of Southern Kuwait, Southern Iraq, Southern Afghanistan and Northern California, as long as you don't leave your systems running without space for ventilation (elevated for clear unobstructed air movement) over keyboard, under and around the fans, you should be good.
- Most people very often leave their systems on a blanket, pillow or something else that creates an insulating effect which is very bad and can cause overheating over time.
- Good cheap options are those solar powered window fans stick the top of window to move air also a cheap usb laptop fan pad that's elevated.
- Keeping your systems as clean as possible (using canned air to keep vents and fan blades clear of dust accumulation) helps as a preventative measure.
- When not in use keep off or in sleep/standby mode, this lowers energy consumption and heat production.
- Parking in shade and keeping th systems in the darkest coolest space in the vehicle. My last rotation of 24 months, the daily average summer was 125 with no laptop or tower failures.

This is a major issue that degrades electronics over time... POWER SOURCE/CONVERSION/INVERSION... Make sure you use a large enough inverter of the proper type modSine, Sine etc., that works correctly for your systems. Improper power can degrade electronics slowly unbeknownst to the user. So make sure your power supplies are rated properly and your power source is suitable and stable for your devices and systems. I've seen many a power supply die or motherboard fry due to surge or improper voltage/current.

Much love, I hope you find a cozy corner as you enjoy all the great people, stories and wealth of information this forum offers. Be safe and enjoy the roads ahead.

Cardwelling in Texas? Doable, but it's very important to
1 be acclimated to the weather, that means cutting off the AC NOW, before you have to sleep in a car when it's 80 outside
Back when I worked in an un air conditioned warehouse, 78f was too cold for me, because I worked in 100+ all day
2 seek shade other than running the car's AC nothing will do as much to keep you cool as shade
3 ventilate, a LOT

Latest posts