Amount spent on site fees

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damonbenperry

Reaction score
Hello all, Im curious to find out what people have to pay for siting their vehicle. Obviously the idea is not to pay or pay as little as possible but I would like to find out what people pay over the pond. To give you an idea to site my van at the moment costs around £1200 for 6 months with utilities included. Not sure what conversion rates are but if its around $1.50 to the pound that would be $1800 dollars for six months or $300 a month. Look forward to hearing from people about this subject. Kind Regards, Ben

on this side of the pond that would be about right for your cheaper RV parks. over here though they usually charge extra for electricity. do you have any plans to come on over here and do little exploring? in the western US you can camp for free in many places. highdesertranger

Friend of mine in Quartzsite, AZ pays $1,000 USD per year for his lot plus electric. It's a nice & very quiet park on the edge of town but they only do annuals.

Here in Canada in the Okanagan Valley, one of the very few places that actually has year round RV parks in Canada you are looking at $500 CAD & up per month ($800 is where decent starts) plus electric. I found one park hereabouts for $400 a month last winter for a couple months but it was a horrid place.

Regular RV/Trailer Park sites in this neighbourhood go for anywhere between $1,400 and $2,400 Cdn for a season.

The season being usually May 1 or the May long weekend through to Cdn Thanksgiving which is the first weekend in October.

Some impose a fee for full-timing it on top of the regular rate and none give a discount for being a single, occupancy usually being based on 2 adults, 2.5 kids and the family dog but only on the weekends and for 2 weeks of holiday...sigh!!

Since the short season is nowhere near the 6 months I have to spend here, I opted for a rather dilapidated RV park attached to a motel. It has FHU but no amenities except it is in an area where I have excellent cell service. At a $1,000 for the whole year, I can leave my cargo trailer aka storage pod here when I head stateside for the winter. AND I have no 'we're closed for the season' problem - I can stay until my November departure date and arrive as early as I care to, given the early spring weather... :rolleyes:

The shower building is in a state of severe disrepair so I opted for cheap rent, excellent cell service and a gym membership at the local gym. I force myself to get a workout and then shower..works for me!!

In central MA I can get a seasonal site (middle of May through Mid October) for $1,500. the place is nothing fancy, but theres a pool, creek and pond for fishing, bathhouse with showers and free wifi.

The more touristy areas of New England are much higher priced

highdesertranger said:
on this side of the pond that would be about right for your cheaper RV parks.  over here though they usually charge extra for electricity.  do you have any plans to come on over here and do little exploring?  in the western US you can camp for free in many places.  highdesertranger

No plans at present time, but you never know. It seems the states have more opportunities to live this lifestyle than the UK. Im investigating how to do it over here but info from the states helps me compare. Kind Regards, Ben

My understanding is that what us Americans call boondocking, you Brits call wildcamping.  A google search on wildcamping turns up lots of info, including the facts that it is illegal in England and Wales, but legal in Scotland.  Buy yourself a kilt and head north!

Optimistic Paranoid
The campground I'm on charges $1500-1600/season depending on site. Located in NW Pennsylvania, our season goes from May 1st to Oct 15th. There is no charge to store your camper on your site over the "off season", but if you wish to use it, there is a $175 dollar charge to winter camp. The water is turned off, but the electric stays on. Water and sewer are included, but your electric is on a meter, billed monthly.
This campground has full amenities, showers, heated pool, ceramics shop, laundry and a camp store with bakery and a woodfired pizza oven. Sand volleyball court, horseshoe pits, cornhole, a bouncepad, etc, etc.
I'm there every weekend, and plan to live there fulltime (in the warmer season) when I retire.

ok I got to ask what the heck is a cornhole? or should I ask I have made this mistake before? hahaha highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
ok I got to ask what the heck is a cornhole?  or should I ask I have made this mistake before?  hahaha  highdesertranger

And, yet, you still bravely pursue higher knowledge. :D :p

I think you'll be okay on his answer this time.

HDR cornhole ia a game like horseshoes except you  use a small bag filed with corn  and  throw at a hole in plywood

I've seen that , just didn't know the name (or what was in the bag)!
There is also one that uses giant washers instead of the bags....

wow good to know. now if someone asks me if I want to play cornhole I can answer confidently yes. I think. highdesertranger

Haha, It's also called Baggo.....seems northern states call it Baggo and southern states call it corn hole.

Video of people playing it for anyone still not familiar. It's a lot of fun

Right now, £1 = $1.30 USD.

The local place here in W. WA is...... $425/mo, $5,100/yr plus electric, no breaks for longer term. Has the usual accoutrements, but no pizza oven.

When they're full, they're taking in $23,000/mo.