State Park Entry Fees

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony's Dream

Reaction score
As I am planning my trip to VA next sumer, I will be checking out national parks, historic sites, and monuments along the way.  I have an access America pass so entry to all of these sites are free.  I will be passing through several states and I want to check out some of the state parks too.  As I researched it, I found about half a dozen states that don't charge entry fees.  Unfortunately, most states do charge an entry fee.  One thing I noticed throughout my research is that all the states charge more for non-residents than they do residents, in some cases twice the amount.  I wonder why?  I came up with only two reasons.  1) They want to discourage out of state people from visiting the parks. 2) They want to gouge the out of state visitors.  I have a state park pass in my state and I will visit our parks 15-20 times a year for $28.00.  Most states charge a daily fee of $12-$15, so if I go to 3-4 different parks a week that adds up fast.  I could by an annual pass but passing through 8-9 states adds up fast too.  Chances are I will only use those passes on this one trip and not be back before the year is over.

I spoke with our state game and parks about this issue and they recommended that I reach out to the states and let them know how I feel.  Perhpas they could come up with a discount for national park pass holders, like some camping locations do.  Or even create a nomad pass that would be the same rate as residents pay.

Before I begin this process, I wanted to find out if anyone else has every asked this question about park passes or get their thoughts/ideas on the subject.

If I am going to spend any length of time in a particular state, I often buy an annual pass for that state.

I don’t expect states would be willing to take less money.

They do gouge out of state residence, but I just deal with it and avoid staying in their campgrounds whenever possible.

Another way of looking at it - they charge out of state visitors more because the tax dollars from in-state people keep those parks open. The state parks were built and are maintained by the owners of the park, i.e. the local state taxpayers.

^^ What nature lover said.

And in the last two years every state park campground I have visited is packed, with lots of out of state license plates on display.  Doesn't seem to be dissuading out of state visitors.

No, that has also been my experience, and that may be part of the intent.

In addition to higher entrance and camping fees, if you don’t buy the annual pass you often must pay a daily entrance fee for however long your stay.

Sara in a Prius said:
In Oregon, at least, the daily fee is included in the camping fee.
Also, in Oregon state parks are discounted or free for veterans even from out of state.   Check for Veteran or Senior discounts if they apply.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. I know this is an uphill push, that's why I am asking you. I agree that most state parks are almost always full. Some start parks have waterfalls, lakes, or just nice scenery. For me, it's more of a drive through thing then camping thing.....so I may only be in the park 15-20 minutes....then back on the road. That's why I don't want to pay large entry fees. I know...I'm cheap. :)

nature lover said:
Another way of looking at it - they charge out of state visitors more because the tax dollars from in-state people keep those parks open.  The state parks were built and are maintained by the owners of the park, i.e. the local state taxpayers.

Yup. 

It's hardly gouging for out-of-state residents to pay more than state residents, considering that state residents pay taxes AND pay entry fees.

Tony\ said:
Thanks for everyone's input so far.  I know this is an uphill push, that's why I am asking you.  I agree that most state parks are almost always full.  Some start parks have waterfalls, lakes, or just nice scenery.  For me, it's more of a drive through thing then camping thing.....so I may only be in the park 15-20 minutes....then back on the road.  That's why I don't want to pay large entry fees.  I know...I'm cheap. :)

You may be visiting the wrong area of the park. AFAIK, day use fees are the same for everyone. And usually run $5 or so.

If you're only stopping to pee, someone still needs to clean the restrooms, and that someone should be paid a living wage.

If you are opposed to that, then stop at C-stores / gas stations to do your peeing.

jacqueg said:
It's hardly gouging for out-of-state residents to pay more than state residents, considering that state residents pay taxes AND pay entry fees.

Tho in my experience in state residence usually pay lower entrance, annual sticker and camping fees.

out of state residents also don't pay ANY STATE taxes that a normal resident would supply to that state, so any state residents do 'pay in a way' more towards their state parks for their entrance fee or rec centers for public, etc. -- that the state supplies and that is all thru the taxes they receive from a resident of that state. So yea, you live there, you should pay cheaper on entrance cause you are paying your taxes to them in a diff. form and those 'just coming in to fly thru' need to cover what 'the real residents' of that state ARE paying in truth towards their state resources.....so....all resources are enjoyed by all so pay a fair share is not a wrong thing for me when it boils down. Pay your way and support those parks that are OH SO dear to you :)

pony up :)

Life 'living' prices are set out there. Pick and choose how to spend your dime cause complaining about your dime and what state you are in ain't worth nothing other than a pet peeve ya know :) Thing is life is not cheap and how it all goes down on how you wanna travel, what resources and activities you want and what locations thru competing with other humans who want ALL you want at no cost....nope, those days are a goner LOL

As I am planning my trip to VA next sumer, I will be checking out national parks, historic sites, and monuments along the way. I have an access America pass so entry to all of these sites are free. I will be passing through several states and I want to check out some of the state parks too. As I researched it, I found about half a dozen states that don't charge entry fees. Unfortunately, most states do charge an entry fee. One thing I noticed throughout my research is that all the states charge more for non-residents than they do residents, in some cases twice the amount. I wonder why? I came up with only two reasons. 1) They want to discourage out of state people from visiting the parks. 2) They want to gouge the out of state visitors. I have a state park pass in my state and I will visit our parks 15-20 times a year for $28.00. Most states charge a daily fee of $12-$15, so if I go to 3-4 different parks a week that adds up fast. I could by an annual pass but passing through 8-9 states adds up fast too. Chances are I will only use those passes on this one trip and not be back before the year is over.

I spoke with our state game and parks about this issue and they recommended that I reach out to the states and let them know how I feel. Perhpas they could come up with a discount for national park pass holders, like some camping locations do. Or even create a nomad pass that would be the same rate as residents pay.

Before I begin this process, I wanted to find out if anyone else has every asked this question about park passes or get their thoughts/ideas on the subject.
If you are X military you can get the National Parks Military Pass.
If you are 65 plus you get a huge discount.
If you have Handicap plates or paperwork there are lots of the Parks Do Not charge.

Jraulpilot1983....I do qualify for an Access America pass because I am a disabled veteran and that helps, but I'm not old enough for the other discounts yet. :)

I understand the idea that residents pay state taxes that support their state parks. I pay state taxes in my state too, so everyone pays taxes toward supporting their state parks. When I travel through a state, I purchase fuel that includes taxes for highway maintenance, but I don't pay more for gas than residents do. Instead of residents paying $24 and out of state residents paying $48, I think everyone should pay the same....$36 for example. An out of state resident may only use the park 5-7 days while a resident may use it 20-30 times a year.

I did contact 12 states and asked them about their fee structures, and they all had the same basic response. I did discover that each resident only pays about $20-30 in taxes to support their state parks each year. In some states, a majority of the funding comes from lotteries and sales tax versus income tax direct funding.

I gave it a shot. Thanks again for everyone's input.