Am I the only one that misses standing up?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the secret is to get up every 2-4.5 hours for 5 minutes to stretch. I even get up at night and take a walk for a few minutes. It makes all the difference.
Belinda2

DazarGaidin said:
i thought i would, being 6'4, but i discovered something magical...a rolling spinning office chair. i get in it as soon as i enter, spin around and scoot for cooking, sitting at desk, easy transition to bed. i just tip it over when im driving so it doesnt turn into a wrecking ball...again :p

That's exactly what I do too. Mine is also a reclining one, so I can lean back & put my feet up too. I think having a swivel reclining chair in your living space is essential for comfortable living in any camper van.

66788 said:
My new build, a Grumman Olson Step van diesel (17 mpg) has a measured 7 foot ceiling, 6.5 foot width, and 16 foot bed to roll up door.

I am gathering the necessities to install for the final conversion, which include full 1 piece shower, hot and cold water (33 gal tank + 6 gallons in water heater) 2k watt generator, full size bed with lots of storage underneath, and a lot of solar on the roof.

I don't know why more people don't get step vans, they are made for this sort of thing.

While I certainly agree that step vans can make great campers, the problem is that in many areas you can't park them on the street over night legally, and many RV parks won't allow them, even if they are registered as an RV.

Through much trial and error, I have concluded that a camper van is the most universally acceptable choice. You can park anywhere, and I've never been turned away from a campground or RV park.

Kapp said:
Tara, I am 6'3" and slim. The other poster talking about you walking like a princess reminds me of a patient I once had back in my beginning days of being a nurse. I had to go to the home of a 40ish guy to take care of him. I had been warned that he makes inappropriate sexual comments to us girls. I hadnt been there 5 minutes when he said "I love to watch you walk." I stopped what I was doing and stared at him, preparing myself to tell him not to talk to me like that. He then said "you walk like John Wayne." Haha. I dont know if I was more relieved or offended. That is the main reason I have not bought a van yet, I havent found the right one. I looked a a cargo van about a month ago, nice van, nice price, but I passed on it because of the interior height. Looking at another on thursday.

Before you purchase a cargo van, may I respectfully suggest that you rent a cargo van and go camping for a weekend, then rent a window van and do the same thing.

Most people, including myself, do not make for happy cave dwellers. I have seen elsewhere many many reasons why window vans are preferable, and I pretty much agree with all of them.

decodancer said:
I'm only 5"1 so much shorter than most of you but can't imagine not being able to stand up when I want to. I don't know how some of you do it. Doesn't your back hurt from stooping?

The trick is that you don't stoop, you just do everything while seated. I cook & shower while seated. It takes a little getting used to at first, but soon becomes second nature.

I can stretch out it either my recliner or my bed, so it really isn't that bad.

What about one of those Sportsmobile aftermarket pop-tops?

03_4x4_bmtn033_72dpi.jpg

Sportsmobile-RB50-4WD.jpg

^Those are really nice, but, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!

Yeah, the manual is around $6,000 and change installed. I think there are a couple other places that do them, but I can't recall the name. Still, this gives enough space to stand (6'10"). Their high top fixed tops are about the same price. and give up to 6'5".