Am I the only one that misses standing up?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope to make it as well. I am afraid the timing will be bad, as I will more than likely be in the middle of my next work assignment. But I have allready told my employers that it has to be somewhere warm for the winter, so who knows.

66788 said:
My new build, a Grumman Olson Step van diesel (17 mpg) has a measured 7 foot ceiling, 6.5 foot width, and 16 foot bed to roll up door.
I don't know why more people don't get step vans, they are made for this sort of thing.

I'm with ya 100% there 66788!! Nothin' beats a good stepvan...and they're just so damn fun to drive too!! :D

Especially as I get older (with a bum back), standing up inside is sooo nice. Since I also winter in my rig, up here in Canada, it becomes even more important. Sure, I pay more for gas, but the quality of life is much better. I'm also 6' 1 1/4", so moving around with a lo ceiling is that much worse. Spend too much time sitting anyway and don't wanna add to that. ..Willy.

I find the need to stand up important. I am 6'1", but I am usually outside. when the weather forces me inside I hate it especially if it's for days on end. when I build my trailer it will have plenty of head room. highdesertranger

I'm only 5"1 so much shorter than most of you but can't imagine not being able to stand up when I want to. I don't know how some of you do it. Doesn't your back hurt from stooping?

I sit or lay while in my van. The only time I stand is to get to the drivers seat or to put my kilt on. If I want to stand, outside I go, rain or shine.

decodancer, i don't stoop, i just sit in a rolling chair ;) When i pull my pants on i just pull them up in chair as far as i can, then face plant onto the bed as i get on my feet and pull them up. I was making my mom dinner at her apt and i had the urge to pull up a chair while i was cooking lol

If i want to stand for a stretch i go outside or for a walk.

Just trying to suggest more options, there's the Nissan nv high roof and sprinter high roof. Prices are higher, but you could get a good used 2003 -2005 sprinter for ten grand. I'm 6 ft 1 inch tall and I can stand on any of those. If you got more money and are lucky you can get a used nv / sprinter for 17 grand. Those have a ceiling 6 ft 3 inches or maybe a bit more.

Free Range Chicken, thanks! I know I want to do something.. I think replacing Ferdy with another van would just break my fool heart tho. I *LOVE* Ferdy, he has been so so so fabulous for me, but I think it's time I graduate into something taller. I'm thinking an older fifth wheel or travel trailer, or maybe a class A or something. I dunno, stealth kinda dies, but I'm not sure I really care that much about stealth anymore. I don't want to break laws, if I don't have to, and there is loads of fabulous public land out here in the west. But the bigger/taller/etc the rig, the harder it is to get out IN public lands, so I dunno. So many options, none of which really appeal to me.. but I know I need to do something to be able to stand up inside within the next year I think....

Really I'd *LOVE* the tent Harry potter has, that is bigger on the inside than the outside.. put that up in the back of Ferdy, and it would be PERFECT.. sadly that reality doesn't exist here!

With Love,
Tara

When I had to get off the road 4 yrs. ago after 14 yrs. on it I was always by habit lifting my foot at the toy-lei to flush. HaHaHa

I'm thinking more & more that a stepvan would be the perfect platform for you to work from.

They come in a variety of sizes, from small postal units, to some real monsters!!! Gas or diesel, garage doors or barn doors out back, steel or aluminum, long, short, tall...whatever you want.

(altho, I've found that aluminum bodies and barn door models are best for conversions.)

Once again do not park a blank canvas intercity, yah my ol' aluminum 72 GM Kurbmaster with barn doors and singles

Tara,
It's all perspective. After doing this since 1988 in a car.....my minivan seems very high. I got a sunroof/moonroof just in case, though. And the height difference.......well, I smile when I am at the gas pump making 20 mpg verses all that wind resistance!
Belinda2

akrvbob said:
How much did you have to pay him to do that??!! :)
Bob
The fancy paint job was free went to sleep woke up Whalla done. Some people did not like it because it reminded them of a bunch of penises. duh

akrvbob said:
How much did you have to pay him to do that??!! :)
Bob

That is a really nice tag job. I've seen much worse. At least the artist had talent and a good choice of colors.

You are not alone, Peacetara.
When I lived in Maui (aka Great White), I really missed being able to stand. I managed to last 10 months altogether. It wasn't bad although I often wonder how I would manage if I really had to use the porta potty in that cramped space. I always had it ready with the blue fluid, but never been given a chance to use it. There were always toilets outside the van with easy access.
I miss those days, though I still live small (like right now) sleep, work and prepare foods in one tiny van sized area. So I guess I'm still training for my next one.