Am I the only one that misses standing up?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacetara

Reaction score
I've been in Ferdy 2-ish + years now, and I've loved my time in Ferdy (he's my van -- a Ford E-350 extended). I was in a small minivan before Ferdy. I <3 my main man, but I really really miss being able to stand up.

I don't really need more room, tho I'd want a bit more room if I was ever able to get a dog in my life.... someday! :)

The sad thing is, the options for standing room for a tall lass like me, are all kinda icky. I mean an actual RV, a fifth wheel or other trailer or another 4 feet of extended fiberglass roofing (and Ferdy is already more than 8 ft tall!!)

That said, on my travels, I happened to wander by an unused weigh station that left the weigher machine on.. Ferdy all loaded up with me in it, is 9,750 lbs.

Anyways, am I the only one that misses standing up?

Otherwise ecstatic in this wandering lifestyle,
Tara :)

Tara, I've been looking for my new home for over a year now. A high-top is on the priority list, because I've lived in a regular van and missed standing up.

You are not alone!

I currently have my surfboards Not strapped to my ceiling. Amazing how much easier it is to put on Clothes and move around inside.

But I still cannot stand up straight. Sometimes I consider adding dropped floor in front of the side cargo doors, but this would require moving the fuel filter and fuel lines and all sorts of other work I am not willing to do at this point

We put high tops on three dog grooming vans and it's surprisingly inexpensive. Just Google fiberglass in your area.

Tara I do not know why so many do not have high-tops,although I am only able to fully stand in 1/2 my van that half is where I live the other half is storage bathroom and junk magnet, being sorta short helps I am 5.9 and shrinking lol. I understand the money and timing part but I know high-tops exist that are a lot higher than mine. Look for a 1996-2003 E350 That was a transit vehicle or ambulance, these people needed to stand up for the practical sense of working in a van. May I also add that you have a very wonderful walk at the last RTR I was amazed and stopped all activity when you walked by almost like you float, princess like. peace adrian

wagoneer *blush* thanks!! I don't think I've ever had anyone mention my walk is a princess like float! :) YAY!

Well to put a high top on Ferdy that I could stand up in, I'd have to add 4 feet more of high-top, which would put Ferdy @ over 12 feet tall. YIKES. I don't think that would do anything but cause problems.

So that leaves me with replacing Ferdy with a different (lower to the ground) high top van, but I think replacing Ferdy with a diff. van would just break my fool heart, or moving into an RV or fifth wheel/tt.

With Love,
Tara

I sometimes wish for a high top van, especially when I whack my head on the flip-down DVD player that I installed on the ceiling. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

There's unlimited headroom outside. ;)

The only tricky thing for 6-foot-tall me is putting on my pants, but I've learned a different way.

Not standing is no big deal to me. I thought it would be. But I can do nearly everything sitting on the bed, scooting a little this way and that. Of course, I don't try cooking or doing dishes inside the van. That's what the outdoors are for.

peacetara said:
Well to put a high top on Ferdy that I could stand up in, I'd have to add 4 feet more of high-top, which would put Ferdy @ over 12 feet tall. YIKES. I don't think that would do anything but cause problems.

4 more feet??? WOW!!!

so you've only got 2 feet in there now!???

Why would you hafta add so much??

i thought i would, being 6'4, but i discovered something magical...a rolling spinning office chair. i get in it as soon as i enter, spin around and scoot for cooking, sitting at desk, easy transition to bed. i just tip it over when im driving so it doesnt turn into a wrecking ball...again :p

I'm turning into a hunchback too. lol I whack my head at least a couple times a week. And with no hair on my head, it can hurt. But I'm really not inside much in good weather. And I do prefer my van for living quarters over a lot of other options ie tents, cars, garbage cans, etc. I gotta admit a van can be a bit confining for romantic interludes though. :)

Tara,

Have you considered one of those cutaway/cube vans?

We had one at work that had a 10 foot box. It was no harder to drive in city traffic than a regular van was, and it was just tall enough for a six footer to stand in.

Regards
John

Patrick46, well, I'm over 6' tall, the van is currently 4' tall, except after floor and insulation, I don't have 4' anymore :). So I could probably do with 3 feet and 6" or something, to give me 6' internal space after insulation, etc. But that's pretty close to 4' all of a sudden :)

Optimistic paranoid: I haven't tried a cutaway or cube van.. It's a thought :)

With my back, I would end up in traction if I could not stand up.

Have you looked into a truck camper?

I went up to the mountains this weekend and it's the first time in months I had my top popped. I kept catching myself bending over as if the top were down.. :s

My new build, a Grumman Olson Step van diesel (17 mpg) has a measured 7 foot ceiling, 6.5 foot width, and 16 foot bed to roll up door.

I am gathering the necessities to install for the final conversion, which include full 1 piece shower, hot and cold water (33 gal tank + 6 gallons in water heater) 2k watt generator, full size bed with lots of storage underneath, and a lot of solar on the roof.

I don't know why more people don't get step vans, they are made for this sort of thing.

Tara, I am 6'3" and slim. The other poster talking about you walking like a princess reminds me of a patient I once had back in my beginning days of being a nurse. I had to go to the home of a 40ish guy to take care of him. I had been warned that he makes inappropriate sexual comments to us girls. I hadnt been there 5 minutes when he said "I love to watch you walk." I stopped what I was doing and stared at him, preparing myself to tell him not to talk to me like that. He then said "you walk like John Wayne." Haha. I dont know if I was more relieved or offended. That is the main reason I have not bought a van yet, I havent found the right one. I looked a a cargo van about a month ago, nice van, nice price, but I passed on it because of the interior height. Looking at another on thursday.

Im rehabbing a 77 dodge chinook class b, the whole reason I love it and am willing to put the work into it is the fact that at 6'3 I can stand full height anywhere in the back.

Kapp, lol! Nurses are such awesome people, you sound equally awesome! I hope you manage to come out to the RTR in January with the perfect new home for you! Most every cargo van stock is about 4 feet internal height. I've spent more than 2 years with mine, and have enjoyed it very much, it's a cheap way to start! For taller, you need a "high top", or add it on afterwards.

Shogun, yay! If you aren't already living in it, start soon! :) fixing it up would give you a great hobby while traveling :)

With love,
Tara