Almost ready to take off.... SCARED TO DEATH!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Caravan Caravan,
I started on the road today from Minneapolis and now overnighting at the rest stop south of Ames, Iowa, which has free DOT WiFi in Iowa. I'll be connecting to Caravan group 2 when I get nearby. If you do too, stop by the brown 1987 Suburban with solar panels on the roof, we can talk about anything going on campwise and otherwise.
CampDragonFly

CaravanCaravan said:
Thanks for the encouragement, Rosie.

I'll be taking off in just a couple of weeks. I hope to see you out there.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yes ma'am!

WanderingRose said:
It will take awhile to find what works best for you, Rosie, but if you look at it as a learning experience while embarking on a new adventure that may help.

Try not to get stuck on finding the best plan, you just must have some plan that you can modify as you go.
Thank you for the words of encouragement!

CaravanCaravan said:
Thanks. 

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

I'm impressed. 
You got it all under control.
 I have a feeling you're gonna do great, be great, be a great wealth of knowledge :idea: and have some great experiences. 
See ya down the road.

Good luck! Stay positive and try to look at the difficulties as challenges!

Well, I thought I would provide an update for all the kind souls who offered me encouragement here.

I have been on the road since November 7th, 2018 and I am doing great.

I spent a lot more for my solar than I thought I would ($1800 instead of $1000). And the costs of all the hardware parts necessary for me to build all the stuff I wanted to build was more than I expected. (Pro Tip: Don't buy hardware or lumber in Quartzsite or Parker. It is at least twice as expensive as in a Lowe's or Home Depot. If you have a big project to work on, go up to Lake Havasu City.)

I got my solar installed and I love it. I have 610 watts of panels and 100 Amp-hour LiFePo BattleBorn battery. I built a really cool frame to hold my laptops in position in my desk. I'll put that in my van-build thread. I'm now sitting here with the rear hatch up, working on my computer in complete comfort and peace. 

I went to the RTR and met lots of people. OK, mostly women who needed things fixed on their vans and RVs. But they all loved me and I had a great, if exhausting, time. I was one of the guys (along with a guy named Clint) who stomped down the garbage in the dumpster to get it below the top edge so it could be hauled off. That was fun, but super tiring. Someone took a video of us doing that. If anyone knows where I can get a copy of that video, I would appreciate it.

I also taught classes at the RTR about "You can do a nice van build with minimal tools." I taught the class on three separate days, at my minivan. It was really well received. I am considering starting a YouTube channel (I know, yet another one) where one of the things I will talk about is going into more detail from that same topic. There are lots of little details that people rarely mention in YouTube videos about how to use all the tools I use to do my work. Subtle tips about stuff like the best way to hold the tool, or how to more easily cut a straight line, without hauling around a lot of extra stuff. The kinds of things that an ideal Dad would teach you over the course of you growing up and him coaching you through every step.

I put my minivan in the "Small Vehicle Show and Tell" and it was a huge hit. 

I went to the Big Tent event and got hired at the first camp host booth I stopped at. I told them I can build and fix just about anything, that I am a former network manager, and that I have run my own business. They practically wanted to take me home to meet their parents. So, I will be working a Camp Host position in the Mt. Baker - Snoqualmie National Forest from May through September, for $12.50 an hour, 40 hours a week (if the government isn't shut back down by then). Maybe more hours and maybe for a longer duration. If I take this money, and spread it out over the course of an entire year, I could actually live on just this job alone. 

I am now at the "Parker site" (which is actually north of Big River, CA) waiting for Bob and KC to show up, so I can do a van tour video with them. Bob has suggested that he would also like to do a series of videos with me on the topic of "You can do a nice van build with minimal tools." But I will have to wait and see how that pans out. 

I tried hanging out with the caravans, but that just seemed too crowded for me. So, I am already hanging out on my own, and loving it.

You are so my hero! Not only did you succeed in spite of your fears....you succeeded stupendously. Thanks for the update and keep us posted.

Tomorrow I will give my 30 notice to my landlord. Scares me half to death. After that, I suspect that the month of February will pass all in a rush, and I’ll be busy, hopefully too busy to ruminate much about life on the road. I’m a lifelong worrier, but three months in I’ll have saved $6000 in my emergency fund which should replace an engine or transmission that’s broken down, my greatest worry. Then, most of my savings will go to dentistry in Mexico. Wish me luck.

If you want to come camp by me for a while, till you get your land legs, I'd be happy to have you. Of course, don't discount the caravans. But they were too crowded for me. 

I have generalized anxiety too. Asperger's, and depression as well. Though, not that anyone who meets me could tell. So, we can chat about how all that plays out in this new life. If you want.

Thanks LCTD, I like that. I’m going to join one of the caravans and am in close contact with the hosts. I’m going to be tinkering with my van and adding improvements as I’m on the road, and before I go off half cocked and start spending money, I want to meet as many VanDwellers and their rigs as I can. I can’t afford bone head mistakes. So I’m starting out with a mechanicaly sound 01 short wheel base high top dodge van conversion. I put a mattress on top of the fold down rear seat, put in a folding table for a gally, turned around the passengers seat and use a short toilet bucket for a hassock. I’ve got a propane Coleman stove and lantern and a steel bucket for a sink. This is glamping compared to my old vw bus. So don’t be surprised when I take you up on your kind offer. I’m a clean camp fanatic, and very respectful towards my neighbors. Could you please email my user name so I can have your address?
Thanks, Ken

Ok folks, I just submitted my 30 day notice to my landlord. suddenly This feels very real and frightening. Of course I’ll get busy and give my van interior a good scrub and start installing all my necessities, such as they are. I’ll do short weekly camping trips during February, and keep shaking it down, going fishing each outing so I associate the van with having fun. Wish me luck.
Ken

LoveCareThinkDo--what an inspiration you are! Thanks for sharing.

Cowboy Ken--Good luck!

"Don't look back, we're not going that way."

Someone else came up with this encouraging message.

Courage is something I have to muster bc it's counterintuitive to my nature.

All blessings to you!