Aliner

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neal

Reaction score
So I've watched all of Bob's and Carolyn's videos and others, and was sure I was going to buy an older van to make into a stealth camper even yesterday that was my plan. But now I saw some videos about the Aliner travel trailers and they seem to be perfect for me. I've seen them priced from $3,000 used to $20,000 new. I'm going to go with the used low cost trailer. I've looked at the classifieds on the older models and there are a lot of single owners selling. I have a Ford Fiesta that I can trade in for a larger tow vehicle with lower mileage or a new vehicle if I get a good deal. I'm pretty much disabled from multiple back surgeries and nerve damage that goes down both legs so it would kill me physically to do a conversion on my own. I don't care about the tanks at all, to me it would just be another thing to go wrong. I would probably get a portable solar system and that would be that. Has anyone come across these? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Thanks my decision is made!

I'm the guy with the Aliner in the article. They are pretty hard to find as most people who own them love them and don't want to give them up. It's a niche market, sort of like the Airstreamers - you either love 'em or hate 'em. I was lucky and found a one year old LXE model which was perfect for our needs. New they are pricey, though the clones (other than Chalet which is a high-end clone) are a little cheaper, though heavier. Mine sold new for $15k (the original paperwork was in with the owner's manual) so I saw what it actually sold for new. However I only paid $8,900 and it was barely used (the stove and shower had never been used.) Try to find one from 2006 or newer as that is when they started to use the water resistant Performax flooring. Before that be sure and check the corners for sponginess as they used an OSB (pressed wood) flooring that would get soft when wet.

Good luck,

Chip

:) Hello Neal        

Chip's Aliner video was the 1st time I'd seen a Aliner.   I wanted one!   After several months in the middle of the night one popped up on CL down in Marriana FL about 85 miles away.  I had a Viking pop up I could no longer set up by myself, however I can the Aliner so I bought it.

It's a 2004 LX with a off road axle and added on front and rear metal cargo carriers.  All the systems work.  It has 3 way fridge, small sink with hand pump, gas cook top, micro wave, 5,000btu AC mounted thru the wall.  It has a 30amp power cord however everything works with a standard heavy duty outdoor extension cord.  It's not perfect and needs a few minor repairs, still I'm happy with it.  I cannot raise the roof while standing on the ground.  I go on the 3rd step of a short ladder and do just fine.  I have one collar bone that is dislocated and fused, shoulder/neck injuries on both sides,  carpal tunnal on both arms, arthritis in spine/back/hands,+diabetic nerve damage.  Looking at that list I wonder how I get anything done!  Anyways my point is with all that I still can handle the the Aliner.

There are a couple of You Tubers with Aliners, Slim Potato head & he is always adding stuff to his,  another guy who I think is Going Nowhere Fast who also tweaks his and he has 2 big German Shepards that travel with him.  Pop Up Portal has a Aliner forum and so does the Aliner Owners Club they have a fee to join however a lot of their site is open to visitors.  Both also have a For Sale section.

I didn't have a owners manual or know the Model.  I called Aliner's up in PA and they told me my model and set me a copy of the manual.  They have also answered my questions about interior and exterior paint and a source of parts.

Jewellann

sushidog said:
I'm the guy with the Aliner in the article. They are pretty hard to find as most people who own them love them and don't want to give them up. It's a niche market, sort of like the Airstreamers - you either love 'em or hate 'em. I was lucky and found a one year old LXE model which was perfect for our needs. New they are pricey, though the clones (other than Chalet which is a high-end clone) are a little cheaper, though heavier.  Mine sold new for $15k (the original paperwork was in with the owner's manual) so I saw what it actually sold for new. However I only paid $8,900 and it was barely used (the stove and shower had never been used.) Try to find one from 2006 or newer as that is when they started to use the water resistant Performax flooring. Before that be sure and check the corners for sponginess as they used an OSB (pressed wood) flooring that would get soft when wet.

Good luck,

Chip

Thanks Chip. It was a great article. What is your tow vehicle?

Neal said:
Thanks Chip. It was a great article. What is your tow vehicle?

I have an 06, 2.4l Chevy Cobalt SS with 384,000 miles on the original engine. I've towed my camper with it over 60,000 miles with no problems, however I did have to replace my automatic transmission at 300,000 miles, cause I just wore it out. Engine still runs great though.  :D

Chip

Well I've been lying to myself. I'm trying to get out of debt and as much as I love the Aliner I would have to buy something on credit to tow it, and then the same thing with the Aliner. I have no disposable cash until I hit the road, and then I'll have around $900.00 a month with no car payment and no rent. So I'll be looking for an old van to convert. I have severe back problems so the van is a must. It's amazing I have a hard time saving $50.00 right now because I'm trapped, so I might have to miss a few meals to achieve what I really want to do!

I hear you. Neal, there's the wanting to change, and then the actual doing of it. Getting out of debt goes a long way toward giving us freedom on the financial front at least, but for some of us who didn't make the best decisions earlier in life it can take some serious time. I'm getting closer, but it's taken years and there have been set backs when I've taken my eye off the ball. The whole financial system is set up to keep us in debt once we're there, as the banks etc make more money that way. The trick as I see it is to remove yourself from the monetary system as much as possible. It's hard and requires sacrifice and a change in desires sometimes. But in the long run it's worth it.
If you keep working at you will get there. Just don't give up on your dream.

I went through several changes to get to where I am satisfied and actually happy about the way I am living. Those changes were hard, scary and took lots of determination and time. Start with small steps and build up what you really need and can do then eventually get what you want. Most times less is more. As your situation changes so will your needs, that is why most of us have had several different types of mobile living rigs.

Latest posts