A little nervous

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mora

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post :shy: . I’ve been camping in my RV for the past 7 days, after not having much camping experience. I plan to be out traveling around for up to a year.  I’ve always loved the idea of boondocking, and today my dog and I found our first boondocking spot on BLM land!  It’s beautiful but my dog is nervous because it’s so windy, and I’m nervous because I’m in the middle of nowhere by myself.  I’m not usually one to worry, but I can’t help it.  
The trailer is shaking and whistling in the wind, it’s dark now, and I guess I’m just reaching out for a little encouragement. 
If you have any comfort or words of wisdom to share with me I’d be grateful  :thumbsup:

Welcome! I have no words of wisdom as I've yet to launch, but I congratulate you for getting out there and doing it! Hope the wind dies down so you can relax and breathe.

Now here's the important question: What is your dog's name?

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum. It can get scary to be alone at places. You are fortunate to have a dog, he/she will keep away some folks, or at least alert you to their presence. I find that lighting is very important. A very bright light can stop someone when it shines in the eyes. Also a well lit campsite will deter people from stirring around. There are some inexpensive battery operated motion detecting lights that you can put on the exterior of your rig. I often camp in pitch dark way out in the woods away from a lot of other people but I’m very familiar with the Tuscarora forest where I camp and feel very comfortable there. I know its said that women alone often have the feeling of anxiety. Believe me it’s not just women. Another safety thing is a rather large loud alarm. You can buy them at truck stops because the truckers use them. And of course there’s mace and bear spray. I have all of the above but I’ve never used him. And like someone said earlier, getting into one of the caravans even if you only find one or two people there you like to camp with you won’t be alone anymore. HOWA has caravans in the west and there is an independent group in the east starting in Florida in November. Look for The thread “calling all East Coast nomads”. Or something like that. I guess I didn’t notice what kind of rig you have but having one that you can leave your bed and get to the driver seat to pull out without exiting is a good plan. Also I’ve read many people say if you have a bad feeling about a place to park don’t park there, find someplace else, and don’t park your van in a place that’s hard to get out of. Maybe I’m making the sound awful bad but the great majority of us do not have a problem. But I was a Boy Scout and they say “be prepared”.

Well, Mora, you're braver than most, myself included. We all like a little security or at least a sense of security.
I'm also suggesting finding a caravan, and wondering if the virtual caravans might be a good early connection to help with the jitters.
Chas

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

OH you have 2 threads rolling, just saw this one LOL but posted this again to you :)

you are ok....those first jitters. Plus you have wheels, you can always always move any where you feel more comfortable of course so know you are not stranded or stuck Smile

It is good to put yourself in some wonky situations a tiny bit ya know. Keeps you learning and growing and changing and learning to deal with situations that will make you more comfortable next time they arise so I think you are doing very very very well

and your dog is probably taking ques from you in a way, if you are a bit nervous your pooch will be for sure but don't worry, again, you have wheels! But in your post it does sound like you are slowly dealing with the new changes and issues and it sounds like you got this to me and will become one of those great travelers who just tackles the issues as they come but have a darn great time doing it Smile

wishing you the best!

You’re still adjusting to the newness of it all, it seems to me.

As is your dog.

Aside from environmental issues, being completely alone is an adjustment in itself.

Enjoy the beauty of your site, and take some pictures to commemorate this first big step.

If you don’t have a hobby for your hands, consider taking up something like crochet.

It requires you to focus your mind, and gives you a small creative thing to do.

Enjoy!

I wish we still had a like button cause I like Wanderings post so I will just say it :)
plus other great replies I see on this forum but I can't like them, I just have to create a post to say I like them HA

I may be in disagreement with others here, but I would say that joining a "caravan" is the LAST thing you should do right now.

Vandwelling, fulltiming, whatever you want to call it, is an exercise in self-sufficiency. You won't develop the confidence to cope with the myriad challenging situations that can arise without, well...actually encountering and coping with them. It's a giant ongoing DUI project. If you feel apprehensive--a completely normal reaction--and seek out the company of others, that'll be comforting but will also tether you to them. You won't feel comfortable being on your own.

Like most of us in most of our lives, you'll want to be alone some times and other times, will want to be in the company of others. Being comfortable in solo situations will enable you to make that choice when you wish to, not out of apprehension or fear.

I agree with other posters that your pooch is likely reacting to your own nervousness. Both of you will be less jumpy and more comfortable as time goes on. Give yourself time to acclimate and don't expect that you're going to be completely accustomed to this new lifestyle until a fair amount of time has passed.

Focus on the positives--the beauty of your surroundings, the freedom you enjoy and will enjoy, the opportunity to live a life you've dreamed about. Most people grow to love this lifestyle.

mkl654321 said:
Vandwelling, fulltiming, whatever you want to call it, is an exercise in self-sufficiency.

Focus on the positives--the beauty of your surroundings, the freedom you enjoy and will enjoy, the opportunity to live a life you've dreamed about. Most people grow to love this lifestyle.
Thank you for that. This is exactly why I'm craving this right now.

The great thing about the caravans is you can come and go as you want. You can meet the people during the day and enjoy the time with them, then pull away in the afternoon and go to camp by yourself for a day or two and come back. HOWA even gives The coordinates of the locations they camp at so if they move camp you can locate them again. You don’t have to camp on top of each other but you can camp near enough to use a bright spotlight to signal for help. Again I think one of the best things about the caravan is there are no rules for coming and going you’re on your own if you want to be or if you don’t, part time, full-time, whatever. Even just knowing where someone else is camped that’s several miles away can give you some confidence. Being a nomad is not necessarily about self-reliance. It Can be for those who want it. But it can be about community for those who want that. And you can get as much solitude as you want and as much community as you want. It’s up to you.

I agree to a point with mkl654321. I’m a sorta guy that loves to go off alone in northern Minnesota or go another several hundred miles north of the border in Ontario for weeks at a time. Nothing revives me better then alone time. But... as your starting out there is no shame in seeking a “tribe” to help you through the initial jitters. You can read all you can here, but spending some initial time with a group can be very educational and uplifting. I’ll tell you what though... good job getting out there! Go with your gut. Also when you go it on your own, you can magically find places out of the norm. So it can work in your favor either way. Not many of us are out there to prove anything, just embrace a lifestyle that we can afford to live!

Thank you all very much for your replies. I survived the night and so did my dog Ricky. I’m looking into the caravans right now. Sometimes I wonder if I’ve made a big mistake, selling the house and jumping out into the world this way, but I couldn’t hibernate any more. They say that before some great realizations you have to have a dark night. I just hope it’s true!
Thanks again!

Mora said:
Thank you all very much for your replies.  I survived the night and so did my dog Ricky. I’m looking into the caravans right now. Sometimes I wonder if I’ve made a big mistake, selling the house and jumping out into the world this way, but I couldn’t hibernate any more.  They say that before some great realizations you have to have a dark night. I just hope it’s true!
Thanks again!
congrats on making it through that scary night, which i would be too if my dog was scared as he has more sense than me. i concur with Rose and wouldn't second guess myself up too much. you had this desire to make a change and you ACTED on it which many do not. congrats on that achievement also! i would start slowly heading down to Quartzite, enjoying the sights along the way, where you can meet up with kindred souls and really get to see how this life could be. i hope to start off myself in about 5 years but you never know...

I guess I am weird—I like the wind. Maybe it is because I was raised on a farm on a hill and it was always windy. Good points about wind: makes the mosquitoes work harder to get to you, keeps you cooler in hot weather (unless it is extremely hot), adds some spice to life. I have been places where the wind was literally rocking my 4Runner from side to side—it felt kind of comforting like I was in a cradle rocking back and forth and I slept like a baby.

Don't worry about the wind. Just stake everything down that can blow away and enjoy it.

Also, the dog Rickey could be alerting to a wild animal which you have not sighted. Could be dangerous to you or dog, or just unfamiliar.

I camp hosted on Mount Hood in Oregon and had enough cougar sightings to have the camp posted by game & fish. I never saw the animal but paw marks were left on the rig most nights. Also, since the rig was narrow I often slept with toes sticking out the window, glamorous life of a camp host.

The cougar was most interested in the antics of newlyweds at the campground, to the point of spraying the tent of one happy couple.

During the seasons I was there everyone went home in one piece, though the newlyweds did throw their stinky tent away.

Long story short, if you don't want to camp with a territorial animal like a cougar or bear, you will need to find a different camping spot outside their territory. Your dog will never "get used to" cougar & bear because the dog is their prey.

My large german shepherd dog hated it when those critters were around, so I did move camp away from the game trails we were camped near. End of problem.
-crofter

Mora said:
Thank you all very much for your replies.  I survived the night and so did my dog Ricky. I’m looking into the caravans right now. Sometimes I wonder if I’ve made a big mistake, selling the house and jumping out into the world this way, but I couldn’t hibernate any more.  They say that before some great realizations you have to have a dark night. I just hope it’s true!
Thanks again!
Selling your house might be a great idea; you might be able to grow some funds in investments, you will not have mortgage, property taxes, insurance, etc to pay, you will not have to maintain the property, etc.  You have freed yourself from a major burden of many (most?) people.  I hope your journey goes well.

Thank you all very much for your replies. I survived the night and so did my dog Ricky. I’m looking into the caravans right now. Sometimes I wonder if I’ve made a big mistake, selling the house and jumping out into the world this way, but I couldn’t hibernate any more. They say that before some great realizations you have to have a dark night. I just hope it’s true!
Thanks again!
As everything in Life, there is a period of transition on every change we make. Boondocking, even if you don't like guns, it would be wise to have a 12gauge shotgun available at a seconds notice. Buy a set of 4 outside solar LED lights, set them up on every corner of your ride. Outside movement activates them. They will give you a sense of Security and the "scatter gun" will be a great deterrent for danger, be humans, wild animals or "Star people" with "Bad attitude".((LOL)) You will be fine....enjoy.

Attachments

• 20220218_190923.jpg
    20220218_190923.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220218_190818.jpg
    20220218_190818.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220218_184840.jpg
    20220218_184840.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 5