A little nervous

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, this is my first post :shy: . I’ve been camping in my RV for the past 7 days, after not having much camping experience. I plan to be out traveling around for up to a year. I’ve always loved the idea of boondocking, and today my dog and I found our first boondocking spot on BLM land! It’s beautiful but my dog is nervous because it’s so windy, and I’m nervous because I’m in the middle of nowhere by myself. I’m not usually one to worry, but I can’t help it.
The trailer is shaking and whistling in the wind, it’s dark now, and I guess I’m just reaching out for a little encouragement.
If you have any comfort or words of wisdom to share with me I’d be grateful 👍
Hi Mora, too late for your nervous night, but I will tell you that being out in the country is safer than living alone in almost any city. I'm guessing you have access to the front of your RV (?), so you can always just drive away. I always keep my lights off when I sleep (camping) so I can easily see outside. Make certain you have a weapon - if not a firearm, then a baseball bat, a tire iron, camp axe or even a fire extinguisher - you won't need it, but it will make you feel better. Like another person posted - find a caravan and make certain you camp around people for a while until you get comfortable. I'm not currently boondocking, but I've camped by myself for years. Good luck. ~Karen

Spending the night in your vehicle alone with no one around doesn't just make women a little nervous... it isn't easy to do for most guys either when you're used to having people around. The wind noise doesn't help I'm sure, but sometimes it'll seem too quiet too. You'll soon get used to it I'll bet.

Spending the night in your vehicle alone with no one around doesn't just make women a little nervous... it isn't easy to do for most guys either when you're used to having people around. The wind noise doesn't help I'm sure, but sometimes it'll seem too quiet too. You'll soon get used to it I'll bet.
True statement.....even Us, X military, X L.E.O, we take provisions when we are "Boondocking" and are vigilants but when it is time to sleep.........we sleep "like babies". **RVing sice 1996...Boondocking Full time since 2020......Not one "Incident" yet. HAPPY TRAILS...!!!

Attachments

• 20220218_190859.jpg
    20220218_190859.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 4
Hi Mora, too late for your nervous night, but I will tell you that being out in the country is safer than living alone in almost any city. I'm guessing you have access to the front of your RV (?), so you can always just drive away. I always keep my lights off when I sleep (camping) so I can easily see outside. Make certain you have a weapon - if not a firearm, then a baseball bat, a tire iron, camp axe or even a fire extinguisher - you won't need it, but it will make you feel better. Like another person posted - find a caravan and make certain you camp around people for a while until you get comfortable. I'm not currently boondocking, but I've camped by myself for years. Good luck. ~Karen
True statement.......Words of wisdom....!

I have a few items near me but the one I would depend on most is my very heavy chain with a very heavy lock at the end! I always have to be prepared for anything and times have to prepare to pull that out and swing it in circles over and over and over in case some scum cracked out person wants to give me trouble. Its a fact of life to be prepared in this type of life. I was parked a few days ago with a number of people I don't know because Im trying to stay put for a month to save money and I walked outside once to walk my dog and a few guys living in a tent down the block where coming towards me. I noticed one immeditately saw me and ran into some unseen area of the bushes then two came out. I said "just be nice and say hello and keep moving." When we where crossing each other I smiled and said hello TWICE! Neither said anything and that worried me! The guy in front of me was cleaning his stove on the hood of his car and I said hello to him and he did reply back more friendly. So, my worry was why the two guys living in a tent did not reply? I don't know them and you figure you could at least say hello to another when you got a whole block with people living in cars, vans, RVs popups and others in a tent on the sidewalk! I left the following day to another spot and sat at night on the edge of my bed thinking about that and those two unfriendly guys. It was this time I was reminding myself of where my chain is at and how accessible it would be in case anything ever happened. Main thing is to keep that chain ready and be prepared to swing it without stop until the trouble makers leave you alone and hope your safe in the end and unharmed. I'm 55yrs old, aging fast and and not a young guy anymore so... I truly hope I NEVER EVER have to use that chain and truly truly hope to meet friendly people because in a matter of days or few weeks I'll be leaving for the first time to an extended journey out towards the Arizona and maybe higher altitude as the weather begins to change because being in the city is not good and want to see nature and meet a few nice friendly conversations with good people. PS I'm currently debating whether to buy a Renogy battery or get a 2nd Everstart to cover my power needs. Once I decide on this my journey will begin and off I will go.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 12.55.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 12.55.00 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Hello, this is my first post :shy: . I’ve been camping in my RV for the past 7 days, after not having much camping experience. I plan to be out traveling around for up to a year. I’ve always loved the idea of boondocking, and today my dog and I found our first boondocking spot on BLM land! It’s beautiful but my dog is nervous because it’s so windy, and I’m nervous because I’m in the middle of nowhere by myself. I’m not usually one to worry, but I can’t help it.
The trailer is shaking and whistling in the wind, it’s dark now, and I guess I’m just reaching out for a little encouragement.
My words of wisdom: I feel way safer when I'm around people than when I'm off in the boonies by myself. Since there's no reason to be alone, especially when you first start out, move closer to people.

Once you've been doing it awhile, if you want to camp all by yourself, then go for it. Crap happens, even in the boonies, and having people within screaming distance is a Godsend.

PS People choose vanlife for various reasons. I was, and am, not interested in self-sufficiency at all. If I was, I would be on a homestead in a tiny cabin, growing and killing my own food, making my own clothes, digging wells, doing vehicle and home repairs, chopping wood, etc. None of that appeals to me. I'm all about community. And there are tons of couples, friends, and families out of the road together, which is built in community. We're stronger together. If you want to go it alone, go it alone. If you want community, seek community. There are no awards for the best way to live this life.

Last edited:
I may be in disagreement with others here, but I would say that joining a "caravan" is the LAST thing you should do right now.

Vandwelling, fulltiming, whatever you want to call it, is an exercise in self-sufficiency. You won't develop the confidence to cope with the myriad challenging situations that can arise without, well...actually encountering and coping with them. It's a giant ongoing DUI project. If you feel apprehensive--a completely normal reaction--and seek out the company of others, that'll be comforting but will also tether you to them. You won't feel comfortable being on your own.

Like most of us in most of our lives, you'll want to be alone some times and other times, will want to be in the company of others. Being comfortable in solo situations will enable you to make that choice when you wish to, not out of apprehension or fear.

I agree with other posters that your pooch is likely reacting to your own nervousness. Both of you will be less jumpy and more comfortable as time goes on. Give yourself time to acclimate and don't expect that you're going to be completely accustomed to this new lifestyle until a fair amount of time has passed.

Focus on the positives--the beauty of your surroundings, the freedom you enjoy and will enjoy, the opportunity to live a life you've dreamed about. Most people grow to love this lifestyle.
Words of wisdom.

Hi Mora. In the winter in the desert there's going to be a lot of wind. I find that facing my vehicle into or opposite to the wind stops it from shaking; if I am perpendicular to the wind I will have a problem. If you check weather.com when choosing a campsite it will tell you not only the temperatures to expect but also the wind speed and direction.

The being alone part gets much easier when you've been out for a while and you realize the only boogeymen are the coyotes. But the Caravans are pretty fun and a nice way to get some fire time :)

You'll be fine! I've been full-timing 10 years with my cats. We've survived a deracho, a few hurricanes, many storms, below zero and above 100 temps. (13 days w/o power during 100 degree heatwave after the deracho). But all of those things led me to do mods to improve our off grid living capabilities.What kind of RV do you have and what part of the country are you in?

No point in adressing messages to Mora, the original poster, who was a new member. She has not returned to the forum since October 7 when she made that posting about having a bad experience with wind. and barking dog.

I have a few items near me but the one I would depend on most is my very heavy chain with a very heavy lock at the end! I always have to be prepared for anything and times have to prepare to pull that out and swing it in circles over and over and over in case some scum cracked out person wants to give me trouble. Its a fact of life to be prepared in this type of life. I was parked a few days ago with a number of people I don't know because Im trying to stay put for a month to save money and I walked outside once to walk my dog and a few guys living in a tent down the block where coming towards me. I noticed one immeditately saw me and ran into some unseen area of the bushes then two came out. I said "just be nice and say hello and keep moving." When we where crossing each other I smiled and said hello TWICE! Neither said anything and that worried me! The guy in front of me was cleaning his stove on the hood of his car and I said hello to him and he did reply back more friendly. So, my worry was why the two guys living in a tent did not reply? I don't know them and you figure you could at least say hello to another when you got a whole block with people living in cars, vans, RVs popups and others in a tent on the sidewalk! I left the following day to another spot and sat at night on the edge of my bed thinking about that and those two unfriendly guys. It was this time I was reminding myself of where my chain is at and how accessible it would be in case anything ever happened. Main thing is to keep that chain ready and be prepared to swing it without stop until the trouble makers leave you alone and hope your safe in the end and unharmed. I'm 55yrs old, aging fast and and not a young guy anymore so... I truly hope I NEVER EVER have to use that chain and truly truly hope to meet friendly people because in a matter of days or few weeks I'll be leaving for the first time to an extended journey out towards the Arizona and maybe higher altitude as the weather begins to change because being in the city is not good and want to see nature and meet a few nice friendly conversations with good people. PS I'm currently debating whether to buy a Renogy battery or get a 2nd Everstart to cover my power needs. Once I decide on this my journey will begin and off I will go.
Be realistic about your self defense weapons. A heavy chain with a padlock. You'd be in trouble before you even got to swing it. Try a can of wasp and hornet spray. Go for sorta at the the head an push the button. Done, before a chain is pulled out.

Sprays that are intended to be used only on insects or animals are illegal to use on humans as a defensive spray.

Permanently blind someone and you can expect to be charged as a criminal and/or sued in civil court.

Sprays that are intended to be used only on insects or animals are illegal to use on humans as a defensive spray.

Permanently blind someone and you can expect to be charged as a criminal and/or sued in civil court.

^^^ This.

Saber makes good pepper spray in various designer colors, most walmarts have the small pocket sized ones for $10. I put a piece of electrical tape over the safety button so it doesnt get accidentally turned off in my pocket. I folded the tape tail over so its easy to grab and pull off, even with my teeth. The larger pepper sprays by good makers offer more range, up to the bear spray sizes.

Its my understanding most people up to speed on pepper deployment suggest avoiding the gel type, it can take up to 30 seconds to begin to work, time you should be gone, not waiting for it to start doing its job.

" the gel type, it can take up to 30 seconds to begin to work, "

One could be dead about 25 of those 30 seconds I would think!

I just deleted a long note that considered different options, realizing most of it was less effective than...
Situational awareness and common sense. Along with a willingness to use physical self-defense. Kick, gouge, scream, ignore verbal threats, never surrender, and keep fighting - no matter what - until the threat goes away. If the threat really wants you dead or an inert body they have to carry away, you probably have no chance anyway. But, if we refuse to surrender to anything less, we will usually be better off.

Seriously?!!!!!!