Women Only Women only: I’m nervous

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mora

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post 
shy.gif
 . I’ve been camping in my RV for the past 7 days, after not having much camping experience. I plan to be out traveling around for up to a year.  I’ve always loved the idea of boondocking, and today my dog and I found our first boondocking spot on BLM land!  It’s beautiful but my dog is nervous because it’s so windy, and I’m nervous because I’m in the middle of nowhere by myself.  I’m not usually one to worry, but I can’t help it.  
The trailer is shaking and whistling in the wind, it’s dark now, and I guess I’m just reaching out for a little encouragement. 
If you have any comfort or words of wisdom to share with me I’d be grateful  
thumbs-up.png

What state are you in?

The wind can be annoying, so it can help if you park so your rig isn't being hit broadside by it, which usually causes the most movement. Vehicles are designed to tolerate wind best when it comes from the front, so try to pick your parking spot so you're headed into the wind.

You can also check online weather sites for the predicted wind direction. But keep in mind that specific areas can differ from general areas. Wide open flatland winds will probably match the weather sites, but terrain with hills, large outcroppings of rocks, riverbeds and canyons can redirect the winds considerably, so you'll have to allow for those.

When you arrive, get out of your vehicle and walk away from it a ways. Wet your forefinger, and hold it up in the wind. Which side feels coolest? That's where the wind is coming from. Aim your rig in that direction.

Does being alone in a strange place bother you? If so, start looking for a campsite early, like in the middle of the afternoon. If the first ones look too isolated, move on.

Check online for more popular places.
Compendium.net is one. Just look up "free (or cheap) camping + area". "Cheap" seems to mean about $12 or less.

When you find a likely place, don't park too close to other people -- many of them don't like that.

Don't ignore your Creep Alarm. Most people are fine, but if someone (M or F) triggers your alarm, PAY ATTENTION. If someone nearby seems to want to get too friendly too fast, MOVE AWAY. Don't worry about offending them.

As you travel, you'll become more comfortable with this new lifestyle.

Bob Wells has just posted a new video about group caravans which could be helpful to you: "Announcing the start of the in person caravans, Everything you need to know".

P.s. NEVER park or camp in dry river beds. Just because it's dry now doesn't mean it will be in a few hours.

you are ok....those first jitters. Plus you have wheels, you can always always move any where you feel more comfortable of course so know you are not stranded or stuck :)

It is good to put yourself in some wonky situations a tiny bit ya know. Keeps you learning and growing and changing and learning to deal with situations that will make you more comfortable next time they arise so I think you are doing very very very well

and your dog is probably taking ques from you in a way, if you are a bit nervous your pooch will be for sure but don't worry, again, you have wheels! But in your post it does sound like you are slowly dealing with the new changes and issues and it sounds like you got this to me and will become one of those great travelers who just tackles the issues as they come but have a darn great time doing it :)

wishing you the best!

I’ve been full time for 4 months. The most nervous I’ve been was also after about a week, when, like you, I had chosen a remote (and absolutely beautiful) spot. I think it’s a normal phase to go through as you adjust to all the newness of the lifestyle. Like Belgian Pup said, try to park in a way that minimizes the wind impact. And hang in there. It doesn’t take long to feel more at home.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I haven’t had cell service for the past few days. I survived the night and it was a learning process for sure.

I don't know if this still works, or works everywhere, but when I hit the road, I'm going to try it.

Several years ago, a guy I knew traveled a lot for his job. His main cell phone had Verizon service, but he did find places where they wouldn't have service.

Somehow, he discovered that a cheap TracFone often works where others don't. He found that TracFone doesn't have any towers of its own, they just rent time on multiple other services. So, when his main phone doesn't work, he tried his TracFone, and often gets service.

Warning: My cats are more electronically literate than I am, so take this with a grain of two of salt.

And it would be nice to know if people here could verify it, one way or another. But *I* can provide theories --- FACTS would be better.

It's OK to be nervous, that is your insides telling you to look out. The important thing is to not let your nerves ruin your trip.

Hello, this is my first post
shy.gif
. I’ve been camping in my RV for the past 7 days, after not having much camping experience. I plan to be out traveling around for up to a year. I’ve always loved the idea of boondocking, and today my dog and I found our first boondocking spot on BLM land! It’s beautiful but my dog is nervous because it’s so windy, and I’m nervous because I’m in the middle of nowhere by myself. I’m not usually one to worry, but I can’t help it.
The trailer is shaking and whistling in the wind, it’s dark now, and I guess I’m just reaching out for a little encouragement.
If you have any comfort or words of wisdom to share with me I’d be grateful
thumbs-up.png
YOU NEED SOME TYPE OF SELF PROTECTING SECURITY.. THE KIND THAT IF SOMEONE OR SOME CRITTER COMES A KNOCKING YOU CAN HANDLE IT FROM A SAFE DISTANCE….. KEEP IT CLOSE BY WHEN YOU SLEEP… THATS IT.. THEN YOU WILL SLEEP PEACEFULLY AT NIGHT… AND REMEMBER,. DONT LISTEN TO ALL THESE NAY SAYER WHO PREACH ABOUT IT BEING ILLIGAL TO SPRAY THIS AND THE OR TO CARRY THIS AND THAT… “IT IS BETTER TO BE JUDGED BY 12 THEN CARRIED BY 6”