a guy offered me a free van any input would be good.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwade81

Reaction score
This guy said he would give me the van for free. he wants a thousand dollars but when I told him I was about to be homeless he said he would just give it to me freely. It is a 2003 ford windstar with 154k miles on it ac and everything works just has a dent on the hood and the radio doesn't work. He said there is no leaks or anything else. I will be taking a greyhound down to florida to get the van which will leave me 300 left for the month. but i want other peoples opinions on this. The only thing I am worried about is when I get to florida and get the van where to park it since I can't get the title in my name that is if he doesn't play me and sell it before i get there.

my opinion is mow his yard, clean his dishes, whatever shy of a hand job unless that's your thing to give something back for a free beater. then pay it forward when or however you can.

Yeah I was going to ask him if there is anything I could do around the house or his yard  time to time in exchange for helping me. just nothing sexual of course. but how could I live on 300 for the month fuel and food ?

Also I am horrified I get down there and he was jerking my leg and sold it by then or won't do it.

I also won't have money for insurance for the month. till next month.

Dwade81 said:
Yeah I was going to ask him if there is anything I could do around the house or his yard  time to time in exchange for helping me. just nothing sexual of course. but how could I live on 300 for the month fuel and food ?

Also I am horrified I get down there and he was jerking my leg and sold it by then or won't do it.

Homeless shelter, just get to one and get your meals and showers covered for the rest of the month, when you get your check you can roll to wherever you choose.  Don't know where you'll be in FL, but if you're near Daytona just head to Beach St. the homeless guys will tell you where to go from there.  If you're not uncomfortable around the police, call the non-emergency number wherever you are and they'll point you to services.

Dwade81 said:
Around Spring Hill florida.

Close enough to Tampa/St. Pete, if it's a bust or you need services, you'll find them there.

first of all go to food bank for groceries. save cash for gas. if he's pulling your leg you will hitch back or something. its an adventure.

bardo, if its a bust, I won't be coming back here ever again.

well make like the hipster kids and jump a train. they got all the goods on free bus rides too (apparently uppity towns will buy you a ticket to leave). all kinds of couch surfing, sailing hand needed, big rig rides, etc sites out there. Nothing wrong with leather tramping. get you a $35 back pack at walmart and make a pop can stove.

Florida is a pretty good state for residence and registration of vehicles.

Exactly.  I am also worried about that. but its be homeless on the streets or the van. I honestly need my check next month but I won't have access to it till the 3rd. I could over draft my bank account for my entire check next month minus the over draft fee, but that would put me in debt for next month.

I mean I can get the title that day it is in his name.

if you can't get a title, why are you even bothering? you don't need anything other then the title and I.D. to register it, you won't need ins. until you get ready to put it on the road. if your going to register it in fl do it in a county that doesn't have inspections and that will save you a lot of hassles.

I was going to see about registering it in texas since i will use texas as my home domicile address when I get the money for the address

what gsfish said times 3. FL. has a for profit prison system,,they LOVE guys like you.

I called to see how much insurance would be and itd be 54 dollars I can get insurance on it and have 30 days to get it transferred in my name. so I would have till July 14th to get it in my name. As long as I have isnurance all the paperwork for the title and the title itself I was told I shouldn't have any issues but it depends on the officer if I am stopped or a cop comes up to me.

I just talked to the guy and he said he would wait till next month so I can have all the money ready.

Texas is a good state too.
Just do everything in a county with no big city to keep the costs down.

rvpopeye said:
Texas is a good state too.
Just do everything in a county with no big city to keep the costs down.

Can anyone recommend a City in Texas to register it?