a good start

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
you could use real brass screws.  then take clear fingernail polish and paint just the screw heads.  imo brass screws look great on wood.  highdesertranger

I like it too. Perhaps I'll see if they make self tapping brass screws.

well it seems I wasn't thinking strait. if you want to use brass screws you would need furring strips. for self tapping screws you would use steel or stainless screws. you can get steel screws coated/painted various colors. highdesertranger

I've never seen brass self tappers. Brass is soft and would probably snap off.
How about finish washers ? Or stainless ?

Finish washers would look nice...when evenly spaced they have an appealing custom look.

f9c64332-54e6-4209-baac-ad39dcbd6ac6_400.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hill...K5w7hTCtvMM2BSFbOv4MIBoCTVbw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I used Lath screws, which are self tapping, and can be bought as self drilling also. They have a larger head which looks somewhat like the cup washers shown above - not exactly but I like the looks. I measured and put the screws all at the same heights so it looks half way decent.

Looking for a little advice (once again ). What I'm looking for is the plugs that finish a hole to lead a wire or hose through, rather than just a raw hole. This would be going through a 3/4 inch surface so a rubber washer isn't it. Trouble is I don't know what they are called, so I don't know where to start looking. One search I discovered NOT to do is for a Google image search for 'hole finishing lead through plug'. Any hints ?

IanC said:
Looking for a little advice (once again ). What I'm looking for is the plugs that finish a hole to lead a wire or hose through, rather than just a raw hole. This would be going through a 3/4 inch surface so a rubber washer isn't it. Trouble is I don't know what they are called, so I don't know where to start looking. One search I discovered NOT to do is for a Google image search for 'hole finishing lead through plug'. Any hints ?

Try looking for electrical grommets...

KOBR-50.jpg

http://www.garvinindustries.com/ele...esCPOQS4ipf587NnNZxUXM8Uwsa40NR5EwaAhmk8P8HAQ

Well , that was a surprise. I took the door apart to replace the luan interior face with the same maple plywood I'm using in the rest of the trailer, and after I took the frame off, it literally disintegrated - rotted to a pulp. I'm grateful I found out now and not when I was installing the window, or even worse, on the road, plus the old door was just the aluminum skin and the luan with foam in between. I spent the afternoon rebuilding and an hour getting the adhesive that glued the foam off, and polishing the aluminum frame. As long as I can get the lock mechanism back together, it's going to be  one sweet door. Ordering the window tonight.

The progress so far. The paneling is pierced together because I used plain sheathing where it wouldn't show rather than the expensive finished maple ply that is on the rest. Same with the floor.  I had to completely rebuild the door from scratch because it was rotted out.
I have most of the components - stove/oven (which retails for $550, but I got it  for 200 on Ebay because it has a scratch on the door), sink, faucet , pump, tank and shower base. Plenty to keep me busy while I get the cash together for the solar and fridge.

Attachments

• trailer panelling.jpg
    trailer panelling.jpg
    548.6 KB
  • trailer panelling2.jpg
    trailer panelling2.jpg
    511.9 KB
The progress on my 6x10 trailer so far. The kitchen area is 90% done. Pump and tank are hooked up. Lots of trim and molding still needed to hide gaps. I'm building everything in my garage which is not close to the trailer so lots of going back and forth , so I'm surprised everything is fitting as well as it is. I'm no carpenter by any means. The shower is getting there too. The seat in the shower holds a 13 gallon tank. The separate cabinet on the right will hold the refrigerator. Still to go in the kitchen is to hook up gas. After that it's bed, a long cabinet above the bed, windows, closet and solar - I'm guessing middle of July I'll be good to go.

Attachments

• trailer progress.png
    trailer progress.png
    197.8 KB
  • trailer progress2.png
    trailer progress2.png
    168.5 KB
where'd you find that shower and what did it cost? I'm building a 16x10 building (or will be when the cash is a bit freer) and am running into all sorts of space limitations (would be much easier if i had a smaller mattress, )

ArtW said:
where'd you find that shower and what did it cost? I'm building a 16x10 building (or will be when the cash is a bit freer) and am running into all sorts of space limitations (would be much easier if i had a smaller mattress, )

Art, it's a 24x24 pan - I'll find you the link in a bit. My mellow day just turned to hell with plumbing issues in my tenant's apartment. Agggggh, I can't wait to get out of here .

ugh, sorry to hear that, hope it's not too big a boo
thanks