96 Dodge Ram Van 3500-(Handi Transport)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cry said:
First off...$100...why taunt me Gary? Is what my first thought was, then my second "brighter" thought was, he is secretly trying to motivate me! What a great fellow! I need to get a jack\jack stands for this beast. It has HIGH clearance.

haynes manual would be a good start

working on your rig is a real pain,if i had the coin i would pay for the wrenchin but doing it yourself you learn all the systems so when it does go bad,and they always do,you know what and where because you put it there

when you take it to a pro mech you are not only paying for their time and parts but the fees,licensing,rent and all the other b.s. they have to pay to run a business

1994 is a good year to learn how to work on vans. Its still OBDI, and yet has the more modern Magnum engines with MPFI. Its got the simple hydraulically actuated overdrive transmission that's EASY to work on.

The trick is to learn how use a multi meter and get a factory service manual. Haynes and Chilton manuals are good for overviews and general stuff, but to get to the nuts and bolts and innards to the vans.. you gotta get a FSM. Its the first thing I do when I buy vehicles.

I was confused on the $3400.00 They did the other work instead of replacing the transmission then. I would be more than happy to have a good mechanic do all my work. I have it done when I can but times that I can't or do it myself.

Oops. I just realized I pooched it and thought the vans a '94. '96 is pretty much the same beast but with electronic actuated OD and OBD II.

FSM gives more info, but I find most people who have no experience do better with a Haynes, it's written for those who don't know what they're doing
A FSM assumes you have some level of competence
Haynes = primer, FSM = advanced reading on the subject

What's before Haynes? ... I need to learn this stuff, so will buy both.

I am starting to empathize with some of the clients I had in the past when it came to computers. I have no idea why vehicle mechanics intimidate me. My first real attempt to do vehicle repair was with a scissor jack that exploded about 5 sec after I had removed my neck from right under a front rotor. No jack stands or even the tire under the car. The rotor buried itself in the ground pretty good, if my head\neck were still there, I wouldn't be here. 2 seconds after it happened I saw what i could have done to prevent it, but i should have known better and i didnt. At this point I realize I am ruminating and will spare youse all the mindmud.

Packers vs Dallas today...GO PACK!

Haynes would be the starting point
If you have lots of data, YouTube has some good channels dealing with vehicle repair, too
Always use jack-stands (says the guy whose floor jack slowly lowers over time, who never uses jack-stands)

I don't know now, but bodywork used to be done just south of the border for pennies on the dollar. It was hit and miss as to quality, so you have to spend some time watching a shop beforehand to see how they do things. Some use lots of Bondo and others get the panel so smooth only a little filler here and there is needed.

masterplumber said:
I don't know now, but bodywork used to be done just south of the border for pennies on the dollar. It was hit and miss as to quality, so you have to spend some time watching a shop beforehand to see how they do things. Some use lots of Bondo and others get the panel so smooth only a little filler here and there is needed.

As long as they don't use fibergrass, it should be good.  :cool:

Attachments

• fibergrass van.jpg
    fibergrass van.jpg
    40.6 KB