Gidday!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indyflies

Reaction score
Hi y'all. 2021 was a big year for me. After a few weeks of searching and test-driving vans, I scored a sweet deal on a 2006 Chevy Express 3500, an extended former 15 seater passenger van with a 'dinghy' installed by the previous owner on top. She was owned by the private owner for almost all her life and is in amazing condition - one wee spot of rust that I'll deal with when the weather warms up, and a low mileage engine in great shape.

I spent two extremely intense months ripping out most of what the previous owner had done, which was very basic, and insulating, wiring and installing cabinetry and the bed. Boy did I learn a lot! Most of it the hard way.

Her maiden voyage was out to the Midwest and she did splendidly. Since then, I've spent a month chasing fall color in New England with my Dutchie and am now testing out winter camping. It can be a bit of a challenge to cool or keep warm thanks to miles of windows, but so far, she hold about 10 degrees warmer than the outside (so far down to 23 degrees outside). Installing a swivel seat was a game changer so I can work from the road and host company.

IMG_4637.jpeg
The Gypsy Rover at the top of Quill Hill in Maine, with a 360 degree view of spectacular fall color.

IMG_4631.jpeg
What an amazing sunrise from up there.

IMG_5256.jpeg
Bit of a mess, I'm afraid, but it's a fairly standard setup, with the bed in the back (on Ikea bedframe rails sitting on cleats attached to the window ledges). The giant window at the head of the bed has a floating 'wall' made up of EZCool, insulation, batting and fabric, then 'upholstered' with buttons to make it look like a headboard. I'm pretty pleased with how that worked out. The cabinetry is Ikea too. Between that, the garage and the attic, I have more storage than I need :)

IMG_5255.jpeg
Since the 'dinghy' was put on top, I didn't want to install heading cabinetry up high. I love having the shelves for frequently used items and books.

Next year's big project will be to rework the power center - it occupies way too much space for what's in it.

That's all - hope the pics might help someone who searches for Chevy Express in the future! I absolutely love mine.

See you down the road.

I scored a sweet deal on a 2006 Chevy Express 3500 . . . . I spent two extremely intense months ripping out most of what the previous owner had done, which was very basic, and insulating, wiring and installing cabinetry and the bed. Boy did I learn a lot! Most of it the hard way . . . . I absolutely love mine.

See you down the road.
I can say EXACTLY the same things you said about my van and the work of building it out, except mine is the older 1998 model, but also the 3500. The previous owner had just replaced the motor with one from Auto Zone and rebuilt the transmission when he got a better job that required a new van. I was looking for a van in great mechanical condition but trashed out inside -- ready for a rebuild -- to bring the price down, which is just what I found. And like you said, "I absolutely love mine" too.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Indyflies! Beautiful job on your van!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.
We look forward to hearing more from you.