96 Dodge Ram Van 3500-(Handi Transport)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabbit

Reaction score
01313_d3fQFnglTVc_1200x900.jpg
00T0T_2tfaXurjeWq_1200x900.jpg
00D0D_3bpW1uFyg3G_1200x900.jpg
00p0p_aGZlX7oPUZM_1200x900.jpg
00p0p_xeTzs1hCX5_1200x900.jpg

This is what I decided on. It was this type of van or a shuttle bus, I went with the van because I am hoping it will be easier to repair diy stuff. I paid 2200$ and although I am quite happy with it, I am hoping its a solid enough base to last.

The engine is a 360 7.9L gasoline. 93000 miles. Drove it 134 miles home and as is I got 11mpg @65-70mph. Steering is loose(too loose). Drove good but really loses power on small inclines. I am thinking maintenance on this was poor. Tires still good though! Anyways... What now.

I am hoping to be able to do the following myself.
Plugs\cables
Distributer
Fuel Filter
Brakes?

Then take it to a shop after that and see what else should be done. That's the plan, now I need the mechanics and whizzes to tweak it or maybe show me a better way about starting this.

Tons of stuff to do, but I want it mechanically sound before I work on the other stuff. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 01313_d3fQFnglTVc_1200x900.jpg
    01313_d3fQFnglTVc_1200x900.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 00T0T_2tfaXurjeWq_1200x900.jpg
    00T0T_2tfaXurjeWq_1200x900.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 18
  • 00D0D_3bpW1uFyg3G_1200x900.jpg
    00D0D_3bpW1uFyg3G_1200x900.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 00p0p_aGZlX7oPUZM_1200x900.jpg
    00p0p_aGZlX7oPUZM_1200x900.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 00p0p_xeTzs1hCX5_1200x900.jpg
    00p0p_xeTzs1hCX5_1200x900.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 13
nice score,whats the year,there are guys here that know these through and through

tune up and fluid change,a new air filter can make a heck of a difference

on the front end,find a good tire place and take it in for a diagnostic and post here what they say

let the games begin

Engine.... a Dodge 360cu.in., or a 7.9L.....? Not the same thing. 360 would be around 5.something L. A 7.9 is a whopping big motor!

Thanks Lee! My bad, 360 5.9L

The dodge 5.9L v8 is a nearly bullet proof engine. Loose steering? Id crawl under and see the state of the frame rails. and steering box frame anchor to make SURE its not rust thats causing the looseness. In fact I would pay special attention to it.

Tommorow i have to replace a windshield in a minivan but hoping to get it into a shop on Thursday and see if I made a decent bet after I have it looked over good. I have a budget for mech, the body work, and then building. I really hope the whole budget doesn't goto mechanical.

Edit: That's right I did read about the rust issue causing the steering box or something drop. Thnx for the reminder.

highdesertranger said:
congrats,  looks like a great starting platform.  highdesertranger

Yeah, it even has a stripper pole!

My 97 looks to be the same van but I have a very different (but also high) top. I also had a wheelchair lift -- I was able to sell the lift and also most all of the interior seats to recoup some money. Mine had 177,000 miles on it at purchase, and it did have some issues but I had a lot of free or cheap help with getting the engine in good shape. I put nearly another 20,000 miles on it in the two years since owning it ... without any problems.

Mine has a big metal drawer outside and behind the driver's seat that stores the start battery and the second battery that was used for the lift (both replaced). I don't see that on yours, but did it come with the extra battery? I'm told I have a larger-than-normal alternator in place so it could charge up both batteries.

Mine had soooo many electrical safeguards and such (was a public transport for the county), that I had to pay a specialized shop a few hundred dollars to disconnect the extraneous power (something I didn't know I had was left turned on and nearly drained the battery and before I hit the road something else caused the safety shut-down to engage as the system thought the wheel chair lift was still engaged. So you may want to carefully examine such things on your van.

I love the height and the roominess. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

Word of experience. I have a 1994 Dodge B350 van with the same 5.9/360 engine. I just changed all the rubber hoses on it this week. To get to the engine side of the upper radiator hose, heater output hose and by-pass hose; you'll have to remove the air conditioning compressor (if you have one, no need to open the Freon lines) and the alternator to get to the large cast aluminum mounting bracket that needs removed from the front of the engine to expose the hose connections. I did not remove my radiator although I wish I would have to protect it during the re-installation of the fan shroud. Alternately, just protect the radiator fins with a piece of cardboard. "They" say you'll have to remove your water pump to change the bypass hose but I warmed my hose in boiling water to make it more flexible and it fit without water pump removal.
     It's not a particularly hard job, technically speaking, just not as easy as you would imagine at first. A few YouTube videos helped me. Took about three hours to do and three days checking for leaks, NOT something I'd like to do on the side of the road.........
       Yep, all my hoses were the originals from 1994 and 123,000 miles. Glad I changed them at home as the by-pass hose was ready to split.

Live and wrench like you mean it!
Chuck

Van is out of shop. My pocket is 4k lighter and all other budgets shot to sh1t. I have no idea if I got jacked or not...lol. I am an idiot. Anyways, brief breakdown for those of you who might know.

Dodge B3500 Van - 360 5.9L

Front brakes(Shop said they went with "heavy duty" calipers for whatever that's worth). Calipers\rotors\pads\bleed hydraulic system. $510

Rear brakes-2x turn drums\R drum hardware kit\Wheel cylinders R and L\brake shoes $410

Brake Fluid flush $50

Remove\replace drag link $194

Oil\Filter change $30

New spark plugs\wires $180

Distributor\Rotor replacement $125

Ball joints-Both upper\lower $995

Alignment\Centered steering wheel $99

Trans Filter\fluid- trans cooler kit plus install $742

BG poly flush- cooling system flush with BG controlling system corrosion control kit. $120

Replaced thermostats basket $103

Alt Serp Belt $80

Total was $4034.56
Parts $1803.86
Labor $1910.55

This got away from me real quick. I knew before hand what to do and what to ask for. Written estimates and what not. I let my excitement\impatience of wanting to be on the road get the best of me. What's done is done, but my budget for bodyrepair just dissappeared. And, like I mentioned before, I still have no idea if I got screwed or not. Sure feels like it...anyways...don't do what I did!!! Written estimates on everything!!! I didn't even really know what they were doing, the story changed a little with each guy I talked to. One thing not listed, is when they estimated $3400 on tranny, I said OK but that wheel chair lift has got to go to. So they did do that also. Will post tomm after I take it on a lil drive if the 11mpg on HWY improved.

Hol EEEE Crap

Glad i can, and have done, most of that work myself.

I think at this point you should not look up the price of the parts.

I hope they used ATF+4. The additional transmission cooler is wise.

Wowsers!

Hopefully the van will now be trouble-free for a long, long time!

You spent $3,400.00 for trans work on top of the $4k? To the same shop?

Dennis said:
You spent $3,400.00 for trans work on top of the $4k? To the same shop?

Trans Filter\fluid- trans cooler kit plus install $742
They let him off "easy"

I hope you got a guarantee on all that. 

IMHO, price is a little high, but getting it done by qualified people is always a big plus.  One missed breakdown in the middle of nowhere makes it all worth it.

4k was the total. Warranty is parts\labor for 12k miles or 12 months.

Drove it 210 HWY miles @60-65mph, mpg @13.8, so mpg better(not as good as hoped for but I'll take it for now). Drives better...so that's good...huge rear ceiling heater no longer works with WC lift removed. That's understandable though, removing the lift prob broke the power circuit.

We are contemplating heading south west in Feb to find a quiet place to do a lil body work and the interior build out. The motel we are at now is a smaller one and its a pretty quiet one. Not sure they would appreciate the noise. Also, putting $650 into the gas tanks and roughing it out west sounds better than paying it as rent...lol.

From experience, if you go 60 or under, it will get around 15 MPG.

and that why and how i learned to work on my own rigs,i just added a quality trans and oil cooler for just over $100

just about anything is better then paying rent

dont worry to much about the $$$ if the van is in order now

First off...$100...why taunt me Gary? Is what my first thought was, then my second "brighter" thought was, he is secretly trying to motivate me! What a great fellow! I need to get a jack\jack stands for this beast. It has HIGH clearance.