4G Nomad's Van Build - Sierra

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are your cooking and hygiene plans? You may have The Call of Nature at a time there's no restroom handy, and you may need to cook something while it's raining outside.

LeeRevell said:
What are your cooking and hygiene plans?  You may have The Call of Nature at a time there's no restroom handy, and you may need to cook something while it's raining outside.

The call of nature will be handled via whatever third-party location I am at during the day, and the use of a porta-potti at night for emergencies or while in stealth mode. Showers will be handled via my sister's place or a gym if I am local or at a national gym chain while on the road. If I am really out in the boonies, then it is sponge baths or a portable shower.

I don't have to worry about much rain in the high desert, but if it is needed, I will use a small one burner bottle stove to cook. More then likely if I get put into a need to cook in the van situation, it won't need to be cooked. I eat a lot of salads and if I wanted to add some protein, then I would just add Kirkland Canned Chicken or Tuna from Costco vs. grilling it outside. If all else fails, then I will have someone cook for me via healthy fast food or restaurant. :) Cheers!

VLOG 06.08.15 - New Van Mods

High Broadband Version

[video=youtube]

Low Broadband Version - Read Below

On Sunday, I added new driver and passenger window deflectors to Sierra.  I picked them up at O'Reilly Auto Parts for $42.00 and they mounted via 3M VHB to the outside of the door.  I like the look of them along with the tinted windows.  It should give me some much needed ventilation for the van.  Here is what the look like below...

windowvisors.png

Next, I went to Wally-World and bought a shower rod and three one panel black curtains with thermal backs to setup a divider behind the front seats.  The curtains were 63 in. long so I have them temporarily hemmed up using large metal paper clips.  My sister offered to teach me how to sew so I can shorten them a little bit.  I plan to raise the rod above the roofline of the front cab so the top holes will not show any light.  I stepped into the back of the van after dark and was amazed how dark the back is now with the reflectix and the divider in place.  Can't wait to sleep in there with the minimal light pollution.

curtain.png

The next item I picked up was a cooler from Costco.  It is an Igloo MAXCOLD Premium Cooler.  It is supposed to keep stuff cold for six days, but I'll test her out to see if it holds true.  I plan on using the cooler instead of a fridge in the van to start with.  I'll fill it with cheese, salads, lunch meat, and other items I want to keep cold.  I plan on getting a larger one to hold fruits and other dry items.

The last thing I picked up was free sheets of 5x8 Cardboard from the local Sears outlet. I plan to use these to cut out templates for my wall and ceiling insulation and paneling. I plan on using the leftover cardboard to mock up some planned features in my floor plan to give me more of a visual cue of the setup before I lay saw to wood.

Thanks for watching and reading...

Attachments

• windowvisors.png
    windowvisors.png
    136.2 KB
  • curtain.png
    curtain.png
    125.4 KB
Put up a video version of my van floor plans for those with high broadband...

[video=youtube]

High Broadband Users - YouTube Video

[video=youtube]

Low Broadband Users - Read Below

Did my second fill up today since having the van. Sierra is averaging 13.8 mpg with city driving the past two stints. Her sweet spot seems to be about 50 mph. I also started using the app called Gas Buddy. I learned about it from Chris Travels and it is a cool little app. Saved .04 a gallon today using the app. Not much else new on the van front, it has been a busy week of work. I hope to get some done tomorrow.

Then I'm happier than a pig in a mud puddle!!... :D

14.75 mpg and that's with the high top which I expected to have it cut into my gas mileage.

I do mostly between 55 & 60 on the highway with the cruise control set!

99% of my driving is interstate quality!

Almost There said:
Then I'm happier than a pig in a mud puddle!!... :D

14.75 mpg and that's with the high top which I expected to have it cut into my gas mileage.

I do mostly between 55 & 60 on the highway with the cruise control set!

99% of my driving is interstate quality!

You're both getting about double my 7 mpg! That's awesome!

I am looking into installing insulation later this week. Is this the type I want to look at for the van:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rmax-The...nsulation-Board-787264/100549260?N=5yc1vZbaxx

I think this is the type Bob recommended for van dwellers. I am planning on insulating between the ribs so I can still use the ribs for bungies, etc. I have decided to skip the Reflectix as it simply requires too much space to be effective. Also, should I apply the same insulation on the floor or just "let it go". Bob has said in the past that he hasn't found anything to properly insulate the floor enough to make it beneficial.

Thanks in advance for your feedback...

That'll work great! I would be sure it will bend enough to conform to your walls. I've only insulated straight walls so I;ve never tried the 1 inch. I do know 3/4 styrofoam will bend well so on my roof I used 3 layers of 3/4 so it would bend.

You can get it with aluminum foil on one side, but it may not be in your area. I'd look for it before I bought it without.
Bob

As you noted, I'm not a fan of insulating the floor. In my expereince, you lose valuable headroom and your floor area will be just as cold with or without insulation. A better solution is wear slippers and elevate your feet above the floor.
Bob

4GNomad said:
  Also, should I apply the same insulation on the floor or just "let it go".  Bob has said in the past that he hasn't found anything to properly insulate the floor enough to make it beneficial.  

Thanks in advance for your feedback...

If you're going to insulate your floor then it's necessary to frame it out with something like 1 x 2 turned on it's side. This will give you a cavity that's 1 1/2" deep so that you can put the insulation between the framing. Unless you're using 3/4" plywood or better, then I wouldn't space the framing any more than 24" apart all over the area where you plan on having open (walking on it). Wider spacing is okay where feet aren't going to be.

This means that you'll be losing 1 1/2" of standing height in addition to the depth of your flooring.

I've forgotten by now, are you planning on deep winter living in it - like Minnesota? If not, IMO, it's not worth the work, the cost and the loss of height.

I am insulating my van and didn't want to leave the floor uninsulated. I see comments that it's almost worthless in the cold..... I will see if that's true this coming winter. Also, for hot weather, it may helpkeeping cool if u plan to run an air conditioner.

Sounds like a well thought out and very cozy plan. Really like the layout. Good luck implementing.

akrvbob said:
That'll work great! I would be sure it will bend enough to conform to your walls. I've only insulated straight walls so I;ve never tried the 1 inch. I do know 3/4 styrofoam  will bend well so on my roof I used 3 layers of 3/4 so it would bend.

You can get it with aluminum foil on one side, but it may not be in your area. I'd look for it before I bought it without.
Bob

Do you think I would lower the R value if I did partial cuts into the foam to make it more bendable. I'm not talking a full cut, just one that goes through the foam halfway so it can bend. Just curious of what you guys think about that method.

Thanks for the feedback on the poly... Much appreciated.

Sorry, I have no idea about that. But if you use 1/2 or 3/4 I think it will bend no problem--but I haven;t done it with polyiso, just styrofoam.

You'll have to use two layers to get the same R value.
Bob

4GNomad said:
Do you think I would lower the R value if I did partial cuts into the foam to make it more bendable. I'm not talking a full cut, just one that goes through the foam halfway so it can bend. Just curious of what you guys think about that method.

Thanks for the feedback on the poly... Much appreciated.

That's what I did. I used 1/2" Polyiso and made a lot of cuts in the "outer" side of the bend. You have to get used to how deep to cut it so the polyiso doesn't break all the way (and then it's just held together with the lining on the side opposite from which you made the cut. The 1/2" does bend some, but I didn't think it could bend enough. You could generally push it into position, but then it "resists" that bend, and the middle of the board will be "trying" to come off from surface you've glued it to. I had enough trouble getting some of the boards to stick well (especially in the ceiling) that I would definitely NOT rely on the glue to hold them in place AND hold them in a bent position. When you make cuts to allow easy bending, I think they can be glued and held into position much better.

I'm sure it reduces the R-Value somewhat. I don't know how much. I usually used 2 layers of 1/2". I don't think the R-Value reduction will be huge. Im sure it is less reduction than if you cut the Polyiso into thinner strips to install one at a time.

Finally, I woke up this morning and started trimming the sealant around the edges of the ribs so I can start installing the insulation. I plan on making my bed across the back and I am trying to save as much space as possible for insulation and a wall. As per my plans, I am not bringing the wall out to the edge of the ribs. I am wondering if it might be better to go with denim insulation vs. the polyoso just because of the way the gaps are between the sidewalls and the rib frames?

If I went with the denim install, would I need to vapor barrier it or is this something I shouldn't worry to much about being out west? I am not going to have any large water sources in the van. I'd like to get your feedback on this alternative. I am finally starting my build and want to get the insulation installed by the weekend.

Nevermind, I just saw this was 2 inches thick. The polyoso seems the way to go...