4G Nomad's Van Build - Sierra

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4GNomad

Reaction score
savana2.jpg

Now I can start planning on what I want to get done in the short time to get Sierra in a full-time livable state.  Here is what I plan to do between now and the end of July.

Immediate To-Do List

1. Scrub out floor under rubber mat in cargo area.
2. Figure out and install insulation needs for summer (Reflectix for Windows, etc.)
3. Get floor established (Bubble wrap between slats, lay insulation and plywood)
4. Figure out a overhead vent solution (Fan-Tastic Fan or Small Sliding Windows in Bubble Top)
5. Buy Hammock for bed to start (This will be used for guest bed once permanent bed is placed)
6. Build Desk area to facilitate small mobile office or look into building a foldable tray solution for swivel passenger seat?
7. Get Cooking Essentials Set for Meal / Food Prep
8. Look at porta-potty solution for emergency use.
9. Sell, Donate, and Get Rid of a Bunch of S*** so I can transition to van smoothly.
10. Move-in full time Mid-July to Mid-August time frame.

Long Term To-Do List (August to October)

1. Pay off Credit Cards to free up for Emergencies.
2. Install a Solar / Battery System to Support Laptop for Full-Time Work and other electronics  (12-14 Hours)
3. Install Insulation and Walls for upcoming Winter
3.5 Figure out what or how to insulate Bubble Top with
4. Design and Install More Permanent Bed Solution
5. Start paying off car in bulk payments to provide cushion for future monthly payments until paid off.
5. 12V Cooler?
6. Install Towing Package for Hitch-based Cargo Carrier.

Longer Term (November to March)

1. Take Niece On Road Trip to See Mom and Family in Arkansas for Thanksgiving
2. Go To Florida or Arizona for Winter Season (Vanstock or RTR)
3. Work on getting seasonal job for next summer at a National or State Park out west.
4. Live Simple & Really Start Enjoying a Mobile Life!

So, this kind of gives you a rough idea of what I am planning out the next 6-8 months.  I know there will be hiccups along the way and time will always change, but it is always great to set some type of plan to get started.  A couple of the short term ones might be knocked out as soon as this weekend.

Cheers!

Attachments

• savana2.jpg
    savana2.jpg
    284.8 KB
Always nice to at least have a general direction thought out, even if there are hiccups. It makes the quick decisions that always arise much easier when you know what the end and intermediate goals are. Best wishes, I'm jealous that you're able to jump into being full time so quickly. I'm hoping to be on the road for a month or so this winter, but it will be a few years before I can do anything close to full time.

masterplumber said:
Always nice to at least have a general direction thought out, even if there are hiccups. It makes the quick decisions that always arise much easier when you know what the end and intermediate goals are. Best wishes, I'm jealous that you're able to jump into being full time so quickly. I'm hoping to be on the road for a month or so this winter, but it will be a few years before I can do anything close to full time.

Thanks masterplumber. Part of the reason it is happening so quick is that my sister is planning on moving around that time locally. I already told her that when she does move to plan her house hunting with one less room. I didn't want to commit to renting a room from her for the next year with a new lease. I will more then likely be sleeping in the van and still using her house for work purposes until I get everything finished with the van that I need for work. So I will be semi-full time in Mid-Jul Aug, but not exclusively living in the van full time until the fall.

05.30.15 - First Van Project Shopping Trip

I went on my first shopping trip to Cabela's, Home Depot, and Wally-World to get some things for the van.  Also worked on my intro and outro for my videos.

[video=youtube]

05.31.15 - Cabela's, Reflectix Install, and an Awesome Nevada Sunset

[video=youtube]

For those who don't have broadband access.  I have provided some pictures below.

cabelascot.jpg

Here was a oversized cot for 129.99.  600 lbs weight limit and was 7' long

reflectixwindows.jpg

I was productive today and did cut out some reflectix to cover the back windows. Still deciding on what I am going to do with insulating the rest of the van with.

sunset.jpg

I caught an awesome Nevadan sunset tonight while out doing my video blog. This is just one of the great photos. There are more in the video.

sierrasunset.jpg

Here is my new desktop background with Sierra and the Awesome Sunset.

Cheers!

Attachments

• cabelascot.jpg
    cabelascot.jpg
    394.9 KB
  • reflectixwindows.jpg
    reflectixwindows.jpg
    282.3 KB
  • sunset.jpg
    sunset.jpg
    173.7 KB
  • sierrasunset.jpg
    sierrasunset.jpg
    208.9 KB
Van Use and Insulation

As I mentioned above, I am still trying to figure out what direction to go with insulation inside the van.  I am more focused on keeping the heat out, then letting the cold in as I plan to move with the weather once I am full time.  Bob mentioned that you shouldn't really mess with the floor as it is going to do whatever is happening outside anyway.  Question is, if I plan on staying somewhat temperate with most of my travels, do I need to do a big insulation install for heat reduction?  

I am thinking just a properly spaced reflectix on the walls, ceiling and floor should give me some protection and still allow for heat to dissipate a lot quicker at night vs. being fully insulated.  What are your thoughts on it?  I plan on bubblewrapping / reflectix / luan.  Should this give me enough to help combat radiant heat or should I bubble /reflectix / bubble / reflectix / luan?

That "Aqua Cube" shower...... nice. $339 worth of nice! I think it will remain on my wish list too. Can't justify that kind of moolah. Takes up about the same space as a small inverter-genny too. But if I had an RV with a wonky water heater and a hot-water loving wife, I'd have it along. :)
Great sunset. I 'collected' sunsets' during my cruising in the Navy. Sent the pics home to Mom. She enjoyed them.
My Conversion Van has some sort of plywood or OSB on the floor, topped with a thin foam then carpet. The old carpet is getting ratty and dusty, so I'll be redoing the floor. I also have been considering whether to try some insulation down there or not? A layer of polyiso under the wood, then vinyl flooring is my top choice. Use carpet runners for the walkway, so they can be taken out and shaken/washed as necessary. I still need to see what's under the (thin) upholstery too. I doubt there's little if any insulation on walls and ceiling. Being here in the Deep South, controlling heat is more important than cold.

4GNomad said:
Van Use and Insulation

As I mentioned above, I am still trying to figure out what direction to go with insulation inside the van.  I am more focused on keeping the heat out, then letting the cold in as I plan to move with the weather once I am full time.  Bob mentioned that you shouldn't really mess with the floor as it is going to do whatever is happening outside anyway.  Question is, if I plan on staying somewhat temperate with most of my travels, do I need to do a big insulation install for heat reduction?  

I am thinking just a properly spaced reflectix on the walls, ceiling and floor should give me some protection and still allow for heat to dissipate a lot quicker at night vs. being fully insulated.  What are your thoughts on it?  I plan on bubblewrapping / reflectix / luan.  Should this give me enough to help combat radiant heat or should I bubble /reflectix / bubble / reflectix / luan?

I'm planning on the same type of lifestyle so what I've done is properly spaced reflectix in the walls and throughout the high top. I've put strapping in over the ribs to allow for cabinet/furniture attachment.

Rather than paneling the walls with complete sheets at this point I'm putting individual panels up - for example - the kitchen unit will have the backing applied to the cabinet/backsplash and then affix it to the wall of the van. This means that should I decide that I need polyiso over the reflectix I can unscrew the whole kitchen unit and install the polyiso. Same thing with around the bed area - the wall panels will be independent of the bed unit. There will be some areas that it would be more trouble than it's worth but they'll be minor.

I'm doing this partly because I'm not convinced that I'll ever need the polyiso but also because I'm in Ontario and finding thin polyiso sheets has proved extremely difficult. The 2 local lumber yards only carry it in 2 & 3" thicknesses. If I find I need it come this winter in AZ it can be added section by section.

As to the floor, I'm putting down 3/4" plywood, mainly so I have enough depth to screw in to, to attach cabinets. Vinyl laminate flooring over that - I found some new stuff that is friction fit - no glue!! I'll use scatter rugs for warmth - they can be tossed in the washing machine and replaced when totally grungy.

In my cargo trailer I've been very happy with my insulation - 1'' polyiso in the walls - foil side toward the outside to reflect heat, 1'' polyiso in the ceiling over 1 layer of reflectex, and 1/4'' felt carpet padding loose on the floor under indoor outdoor carpet loose - so it can be removed and cleaned. If I were doing a van, I think I would use the same felt on the floor, but under 1/2'' plywood with linoleum on top. The felt does a really good job of acting as a thermal break at minimal cost. I've stayed in my trailer in 0 degrees to over 100 degrees. In high heat I can cool the air fairly well with the windows and Fantastic fan, but the walls do take a long time to cool down at night and you can feel the heat when laying up against them. I've only been in that heat once so far, but I imagine there will be other times. I made the mistake of having one side facing due south collecting heat all day. Next time I will hang a from the roof to the ground, with a gap at top, to shade the sunny side - that should make a huge difference.
I do know people with no insulation, that are perfectly happy and just keep moving to be comfortable. I don't always have that luxury, and don't want to be forced to move from an area just because the temperature goes up or down for a few days.

LeeRevell said:
That "Aqua Cube" shower......  nice.  $339 worth of nice!  I think it will remain on my wish list too.  

Great sunset.  I 'collected' sunsets' during my cruising in the Navy.  Sent the pics home to Mom.  She enjoyed them.

My Conversion Van has some sort of plywood or OSB on the floor, topped with a thin foam then carpet.  The old carpet is getting ratty and dusty, so I'll be redoing the floor.  I also have been considering whether to try some insulation down there or not?    A layer of polyiso under the wood, then vinyl flooring is my top choice.  Use carpet runners for the walkway, so they can be taken out and shaken/washed as necessary.  I still need to see what's under the (thin) upholstery too.  I doubt there's little if any insulation on walls and ceiling.  Being here in the Deep South, controlling heat is more important than cold.

LeeRevell,

Yeah, the Aqua Cube will probably stay on my list as well for a while. It is more of a luxury item for the van. i bet you saw your fair share of awesome sunsets in the Navy. Thanks for your service to our country. I didn't know what they actually did in those conversion vans, interesting setup as far as what they put in there. Thanks for the comment.

Almost There said:
I'm planning on the same type of lifestyle so what I've done is properly spaced reflectix in the walls and throughout the high top. I've put strapping in over the ribs to allow for cabinet/furniture attachment.

As to the floor, I'm putting down 3/4" plywood, mainly so I have enough depth to screw in to, to attach cabinets. Vinyl laminate flooring over that - I found some new stuff that is friction fit - no glue!! I'll use scatter rugs for warmth - they can be tossed in the washing machine and replaced when totally grungy.

Almost There,

I am thinking the same thing for the walls and hightop. I have to build a small wood frame for the high top so I can hang walls and ceiling on it I suppose. I keep hearing about this "friction fit" stuff, but haven't seen it yet. Sounds like your plan is solid. Look forward to see what the progress is on your project as well.

masterplumber said:
I've been very happy with my insulation - 1'' polyiso in the walls - foil side toward the outside to reflect heat, 1'' polyiso in the ceiling over 1 layer of reflectex, and 1/4'' felt carpet padding loose on the floor under indoor outdoor carpet loose - so it can be removed and cleaned. If I were doing a van, I think I would use the same felt on the floor, but under 1/2'' plywood with linoleum on top. The felt does a really good job of acting as a thermal break at minimal cost. I've stayed in my trailer in 0 degrees to over 100 degrees. In high heat I can cool the air fairly well with the windows and Fantastic fan, but the walls do take a long time to cool down at night and you can feel the heat when laying up against them. I've only been in that heat once so far, but I imagine there will be other times. I made the mistake of having one side facing due south collecting heat all day. Next time I will hang a from the roof to the ground, with a gap at top, to shade the sunny side - that should make a huge difference.
I do know people with no insulation, that are perfectly happy and just keep moving to be comfortable. I don't always have that luxury, and don't want to be forced to move from an area just because the temperature goes up or down for a few days.

masterplumber,

How does the wall heat translate to your interior temp? Is it harder to cool down your space entirely? Thanks for the tip on the felt. I will look into it. Thanks for your feedback.

4GN - instead of trying to build a 'wood frame' think about what I did. The fiberglass tops are anything but square and even on what looks like a flat stretch you'll find that a board won't lay flat against the fiberglass. I took lengths of 1x2 strapping and glued them to the fiberglass with PL Premium Fast Grab (labeled 8x strength). The length of each piece varied by how long a flat surface I could get. Pics are on my build thread. They're rock solid and I can screw in to them for the finish layer. I stapled the reflectix to them.

IMO you'll lose way too much space trying to build a frame and then you'll still have to figure out a way to attach it to the fiberglass top.

Thanks Almost for the tips and materials used there. As I said before, I am completely new and don't have much building experience. I'll definitely incorporate your ideas there on setting up this area.

4GNomad said:
Thanks Almost for the tips and materials used there.  As I said before, I am completely new and don't have much building experience.  I'll definitely incorporate your ideas there on setting up this area.

I'd never done this type of thing either - just regular interiors of vans - the last high top was double walled so you could screw things in to the inside shell as long as you were careful not to use too long a screw.

When you're ready for this stage and want to try using the route I took, I'll be happy to share all the little tricks I found.

I cool my trailer with ventilation, aka, windows open, door open, and I have a couple vents down low at the back I can open. Then I turn the Fantastic fan on the roof on full blast and it gets all the hot air out in just a couple minutes. I don't spend a lot of time in high heat, so I've never actually measure the inside verses outside temps when it's hot out. If I recall, once the initial heat was out, with the fan then turned to low and the windows left open, but the door closed for the night, it still felt "cooler" while standing in the middle of the trailer. But it was uncomfortably warm sleeping against the wall. Like I said, next time I'll make sure to shade the sides so the wall itself doesn't absorb so much heat.

Tentative Part-Time Date / Hammock Return Reasons

[video=youtube]

Video Request: Reflectix Window Setup

[video=youtube]

A Van Named Sierra - Dev Log 06.06.15

High Broadband Users

[video=youtube]

Low Broadband Users - Read Below

Today, I went to a local window tinting place to get a quote on getting my side and back windows tinted professionally to help with the summer heat and give some added privacy.  After receiving a quote of $120.00 for all four windows, I decided to go ahead and do it.  Nevada State Law allows 35% on the passenger windows and completely blacked out windows on the back as long as you have dual side mirrors.   I was in and out of the place in an hour and the tint has a lifetime guarantee on them.  Here are some pics on the tint install....

5% Limo Tint

Back Windows.png

35% Window Tint

sidewindows.png

After I ran a few errands, I returned home and started browsing YouTube.  Will Burson responded to a question I had posted to him about his bed dimensions in his Chevy 2500 via a video, as I have been contemplating about which way I am going to set up my bed in the van with my height of 6' 2".  His video confirmed that I will be able to sleep with a bed across the back vs. having one along the driver's side front to back.  Although, I will sleep a little diagonal if I want to stretch out, I usually sleep in an fetal position.

As I watched the video further, I was shocked and humbled to find out that he offered me a set of Metal Wheel Well Cabinets for free if I wanted them.  All I needed to do was pay to for the shipping from Florida.  I was not expecting this at all and was very thankful for the gesture.  The cabinets look like this one below...

40.jpg

These cabinets are valued at $130.00 a piece, so I was shocked he was giving them away.  I will definitely make good use of them.  They will provide good bed support as well as an area to stash valuables when I am away from the van.  I plan on treating Will to some Indian food (He loves it) when we eventually meet up on the road and plan to "Pay It Forward" to another new van dweller down the road once I am full time.  

As the day ended, I was wrapping up my YouTube video and had an unexpected thundershower roll through my area.  I was able to take a couple pictures after the storm passed.  You can find them below...

A Rainbow...

rainbow.jpg

Sunset...

Sunset.jpg

It's Raining TANG!

tangrain.jpg

Attachments

• Back Windows.png
    Back Windows.png
    118 KB
  • sidewindows.png
    sidewindows.png
    132.3 KB
  • rainbow.jpg
    rainbow.jpg
    521.9 KB
  • Sunset.jpg
    Sunset.jpg
    508.4 KB
  • tangrain.jpg
    tangrain.jpg
    422.4 KB
"Sierra" Office Camper Floor Plan

Below you will find my initial floor plan for my GMC Savanna 2500, Sierra.  I plan to make her a mobile office camper so I can do my work on the road.

sierrafloorplan.png

Here are a couple notes...

Bed: The bed will be a full size bed that will be 6" Memory Foam Bed. The box below it will stand 26 inches for storage underneath. The height will be 30 inches total with the 2x6 trim on the sides. 2 inches of the mattress will be above the 2x6 for an overall total of 32 inches at the top of the mattress. With the higher top, I will still have plenty of head room to sit up on this higher bed if needed.

Fold Out Desk: On the bottom of the picture you will see a 30x18 inch fold out desk to hold my laptop/wireless mouse and keyboard for the times I work in the van and it will have collapsable legs on one side so it can fold down and so the side door still have full access. The reason I put the desk here is so if I do work during the day I can have the option of opening the side door and back doors to ventilate as well as have a window view of sorts while I work.

Swivel Monitor: I plan to install a swivel monitor that will serve a dual purpose. A second monitor for my computer when I am on shore power or once solar is activated. I will also use it to swivel over the foot of my bed so I can watch it from the bed, or be able to swivel it toward the passenger seat (which will eventually have a swivel base so two people can sit and watch a movie via the office chair and passenger seat.

Food Storage: I just bought a 6 day cooler to store salads, chicken breasts, fish, and other items like lunch meat and cheese and plan to purchase another cooler to hold dry storage fruits and veggies. I don't plan to have a fridge for now and will be cooking most all of my meals outside the van via park picnic tables or a stowaway table outside the van. The fold out desk can double as a prep / eating area if I am stuck in the van because of weather.

Regular Storage: I will have a 51x54x26 box under the bed to store storage bins for gear, water, AGM batteries (Once I Install Solar), etc. I will also have additional storage on the driver side of the vehicle between the bed and driver's seat to store more dry goods. There will also be storage above the cab area, roughly 24x48x24 to store clothes etc. and other lighter items as to not get too top heavy.

Ventilation / Cooling: I plan on installing a Fan-Tastic or MaxxAir fan that will be located approximately 6 in from the rear of the high top and it will be located over the far left side of my bed. Along with cracked windows up front via window visors and the reversing motors of the van this should give me ample air movement to pull-in or push out air as needed.

I also found a small room evaporative cooler on Wayfair the runs at just 45 watts. I can repurpose the ice water from my cooler to use for dishes or to fill the water tank on this cooler to keep cool. If this doesn't look good, then I might go with a homemade one using a small fan and a bucket or small ice chest like you see on YouTube.

I had considered completely using the sliding door wall for a permanent desk area but I want the access and the ability to use it to bring in as much natural light as possible when I can do so.

So there you have it... My initial plans for Sierra. I will approach it in five building phases...

Phase 1: Insulation and Paneling (By Early July)
Phase 2: Bed and Under Bed Storage (By Early Aug)
Phase 3: Desk / Monitor Setup and Additional Storage (By Early Sep)
Phase 4: Solar and Battery Setup (By Early Oct.)
Phase 5: Winter Polyoso Install (If Needed / By Early Nov.)

I do plan to stay temperate later in the year, so Winter Install might not be necessary. We will have to see. I will be Full-Time in August if things go as planned. I will be using Third-Party Wi-Fi (Local Libraries, Starbucks, etc.) until I get to the Solar and Battery phase.

Cheers!

Attachments

• sierrafloorplan.png
    sierrafloorplan.png
    974.5 KB