24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fortunately there are fewer people joining the military because there is currently no need for drafting persons into the military.

Birth control methods are also factoring in. With smaller family size the children are more able to go on to higher education. As is also obvious at the moment there is a higher demand for employees so finding work is not as difficult for young persons and those jobs sometimes include benefits such as some funds for work related university classes. In the past it was not too uncommon for young people to join the military to get access to GI bill funding for college after serving a minimum of time in the service to qualify for that benefit. Even the mass shootings in the country, especially in schools are shifting feelings about weapons and military influences. All of the above factors into fewer young people signing up for the military services. It is not just one signal thing that has shifted the numbers of young people signing up for the military. Of course they do love their computer combat games, so the fighting spirit to serve and protect is still alive, they are just using it a different way.

Last edited:
Fortunately there are fewer people joining the military because there is currently no need for drafting persons into the military.

Birth control methods are also factoring in. With smaller family size the children are more able to go on to higher education. As is also obvious at the moment there is a higher demand for employees so finding work is not as difficult for young persons and those jobs sometimes include benefits such as some funds for work related university classes. In the past it was not too uncommon for young people to join the military to get access to GI bill funding for college after serving a minimum of time in the service to qualify for that benefit. Even the mass shootings in the country, especially in schools are shifting feelings about weapons and military influences. All of the above factors into fewer young people signing up for the military services. It is not just one signal thing that has shifted the numbers of young people signing up for the military. Of course they do love their computer combat games, so the fighting spirit to serve and protect is still alive, they are just using it a different way.
I hope your right, I read somewhere that may change real soon...

Hey veterans --
We wouldn't be here without you.
Respect and thanks!
Yes, Veterans, Thank you for your service. You are few and far between. As I understand it only about 1% of our population are veterans. My own son served in the army and as a Ranger for 2-1/2 years. It is a hard job and we than you.

Big news at Pirate Camp near the harbor town of Quartzsite. The Captain, his first mate and the two ships cat have now sailed in and dropped anchor! 🏴‍☠️

I hope they get a chance to settle in before being inundated with projects.
Another vessel has pulled into port! They came south with the captain.

I am moving over to “no man’s land ” and camping next to a friend. That is a somewhat narrow strip of land between a wash and the road, I can still see and hear Pirate camp and not very many steps to walk over to visit and join in with campfire time etc.

We dropped anchor closer to Jacque's spot.....closer to the firepit

Generator cord broken AGAIN.......damn paracord repairs...........we're still in travel-mode/resting

We dropped anchor closer to Jacque's spot.....closer to the firepit

Generator cord broken AGAIN.......damn paracord repairs...........we're still in travel-mode/resting
I have a length of Amsteel rope/cording of the same diameter as paracord. I bought it from West Marine, it has a very much stronger strength rating than paracord has. I will bring it over in a while, just have to find where I stashed it the other day. Marine stuff seems appropriate for the captain of a pirate ship fleet.
https://samsonrope.com/mooring/amsteel--blue

Last edited:

Good thoughts on the subject of the military. Good thing there is no need for the draft, as we have not heard that the Canadians or Mexicans
are massing troops and tanks at the borders. And let's not forget we have some formidable buffers....The Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
Fortunately , we have not had an amoral President like Johnson who started the V war based on a lie (gulf of Tonkin) . That only cost the lives of 50,000 of our boys and 200,000 of the Vietnamese, men, men women and children. "to serve and protect" is a noble phrase that one
could not really argue with. But how about this phrase "to help others without making enemies in the meantime" (does the name Bin Laden
ring a bell?) FYI, "persons" is an archaic word for general usage. It is only properly seen in formal legal settings and documents. People is the
correct choice. Please do not take offense.

Boy Howdy -- Danger -- Peligro-- Stay out -- Stay alive! You don't have to tell me twice, cuz I ain't goin' in.
Is that a gold mine?

Johnny
Haha... you and me both. Even Kira said um, no! Best I do is peek from the entrance. Gold is over rated!!! Haha! For me it’s like lottery tickets... I don’t buy I don’t win. Here... I don’t dig I don’t find. I’m good with that. If I need some extra rubles I’ll just work! 😆

Ben, now that you are retired you can either work for the fun of it or treat it as a 4 letter word. I will give a report back on what your apparent choice is based on your behavior at Pirate Camp. 🕵️‍♂️

There is a couple that come out every weekend in the trailer on the left side of the loop as you come down the road from the drinking water fill towards my place that carry a lot of mining equipment in their UTV you might talk with they usually have a campfire when they are there. I almost drove my Samurai into a grown over vertical mine shaft coming over a hill top! Be carful out there!

I have a length of Amsteel rope/cording of the same diameter as paracord. I bought it from West Marine, it has a very much stronger strength rating than paracord has. I will bring it over in a while, just have to find where I stashed it the other day. Marine stuff seems appropriate for the captain of a pirate ship

OMG.............that stuff is tough..............I couldn't cut it..........Scott used his tactical knife

Thanks Maki.....Generator is up and running........(oops.....forgot a run-away bushing....there's always extra parts !)

OMG.............that stuff is tough..............I couldn't cut it..........Scott used his tactical knife

Thanks Maki.....Generator is up and running........(oops.....forgot a run-away bushing....there's always extra parts !)
It sure does not look like it would be tough to cut, just looks like a soft piece of lightweight cording doesn’t it 🤣
But that is why they say Amsteel rope is the strongest rope there is. Diameter to diameter it is as strong as steel cable wire. But it’s pricey because of the specialty fiber it’s made from.

Last edited:
I looked up the tensile strength comparisons for 1/8” diameter, 12 strand
Nylon paracord 550lbs
AmSteel-blue 2,300lbs

Like I said AmSteel is significantly stronger than paracord. Captain Abnorm is not going to be breaking that pull cord on his generator now 🏋️‍♂️

You can buy it on Amazon! Pretty good for Van dwellers as you do not need to carry bulky, heavy rope for tying stuff down when an 1/8 thick rope is even stronger. Makes good guy-line ropes for shade cloth as well. Outdoor marine use rated. Nylon does not have good UV resistance which is one of the reasons it fails when used outdoors.

Last edited:
Stopped in at the Quartzsite Salvation Army thrift store today. I needed a small mini coax cable today for the thin copper wire in it to do a repair. While there I spotted a beand new potable folding BBQ grill. It is larger and regular steel versus the small stainless one I have had on my Amazon wish list. But for the price I was not going to pass it up! Now I need to get a bag of charcoal and buy or make a charcoal started can. First fire in it will be made with some scrap wood to burn the paint or any other manufacturing anti rust coating off the steel before I cook anything with it. Then I will have to go find some foods to put on the Bar-B. 😍
IMG_1148.jpeg

Stopped in at the Quartzsite Salvation Army thrift store today. I needed a small mini coax cable today for the thin copper wire in it to do a repair. While there I spotted a beand new potable folding BBQ grill. It is larger and regular steel versus the small stainless one I have had on my Amazon wish list. But for the price I was not going to pass it up! Now I need to get a bag of charcoal and buy or make a charcoal started can. First fire in it will be made with some scrap wood to burn the paint or any other manufacturing anti rust coating off the steel before I cook anything with it. Then I will have to go find some foods to put on the Bar-B. 😍
View attachment 34549

Good find! I have the small stainless flat pack version, and love that it folds down to the size of a book. Sometimes I do wish I had gotten the larger one. It will fit two foil packs or one skillet or two ears of corn. What little I've used it, no chimney was needed--just a few Vaseline coated cotton balls. We rarely have a fire, but enjoyed a tiny Pinon pine blaze this evening. I set it in a small cookie sheet to capture the few stray ashes.