24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have found that there is an issue and the tech has been notified.

When visiting the forum I just use the website instead of an app. It displays just fine on my cell phone, tablet or computer. I made sure on my membership choices to use the one turn off the advertising. In the browser I use I create a link to the forum sign in page and choose to have it displayed on my screen in a folder where I have a collection of a few social media sites. Easy to do and no need to download and install yet another app.

Hi Ron, hey I'm sorry your having some issues....all you need to do to get ahold of me or the other mods is to hover your mouse cursor over our avatar (on mine the avatar is the pic that says 'Sturgis') and you should see the [Start conversation]...click that....OR....in any post of concern, click the 'Report' button and leave a message, and one or more of the mods will find it fairly quickly.

To post a brand new thread, go to the top of the sub forum you want, then look for the red button (top right) that says 'Post thread'....

The 'Contact us' is primarily for those outside the forum, non members, to be able to contact the management of this forum. Members can easily contact moderators with the [Start conversation] button.

As far as the mobile view...I'm not sure what has happpened but you might try logging out with your browser by clicking on your own name in the top right, and then click 'log out'. See if the page looks more or less normal when you are logged out.

Then log back in and see if it is switching to the mobile version for some reason.
Thanks for the reply. Yesterday I tried logging in and out several times with 3 different browsers and still couldn't get past the tall skinny mobile view. Today everything is good. My computer fixed itself, I guess. But, I did need all the other info! And I am very thankful the forum didn't go over the edge into the 100% mobile world. :)

I do not mind technology, I just do not see the point of installing an app if I do not actually need it. The app for this forum would use up storage space on my phone and it would require updates. So as I can just go to the website why use an app that throws up yet more advertising by the makers of the app for something that is non essential?

Last edited:
We were planning to leave the Flagstaff area Monday after this coming weekend and head west on AZ I-40 over towards Kingman AZ . But the planned move got moved up to tomorrow as a windy cold front is arriving starting tomorrow night. So we are now leaving Wednesday morning to avoid travelling in strong cross winds and weekend lows just below freezing.

I made it over to Flagstaff today and got the new battery installed in my laptop! Got back to Williams in time to get my packing up chores done and I am now hitched up ready to roll out pretty early when the winds are not strong and the temperature is not yet hot. But enough daylight to look ahead to see any big potholes on I-40.

People talk about chasing 70s but sometimes you move to avoid weather in the 30's. My friend's diesel truck is not happy starting on that cold of a morning. So it is out of the cold enough for frost mornings of high elevation Arizona and into low 70s and upper 60s early mornings in lower elevation Northwestern Arizona. At least the cold front will get Kingman out of the 90s and into the 80s for the daytime high. I will definitely be back to putting up shade cloth around my trailer. My down sleeping bag and winter coat will go back into storage tomorrow.

Last edited:
Next Monday forecast is for 49 degrees for the low and 71 degrees for the high here in southeastern Utah. Gonna have to get out my winter jacket and find some socks! Lol!!!

Next Monday forecast is for 49 degrees for the low and 71 degrees for the high here in southeastern Utah. Gonna have to get out my winter jacket and find some socks! Lol!!!
You might want to grab your long underwear too! Haha!
Pretty warm here in northern Minnesota too! But the pack boots and insulated bibs are ready… haha. Tis the season!
When my dad moved up here he had so many flannel shirts my sister made a few into curtains for his bedroom… he, thinking he could one up her put his long johns over the living room windows for when she came up. He had some good years up here before he passed.
Winds are picking up here too Maki… but for now staying reasonably warm… nice!

95 here today. Way too late in the season for that, IMO, but I wasn't asked! Could get down to 68 near dawn, so that's refreshing.

This morning I tagged along with the two of the guys in the caravan who headed into the town of Kingman for exploration and a few errands. I have been to Kingman before but never drove around in the historic district. There is a very nice old courthouse and other attractive large stone buildings and lots of tiny little cottages from the Territorial era in Arizona.

The weather has been great in Michigan this year. Only 1 day we needed AC but never turned it on. Our 1890s home has lots of large south facing windows for winter heat & light gain. It stays cool in the summer & warm in the winter. We only had to be plowed once last winter & if I had the plow on the CanAm 500 step thru 4 wheeler my wife or I could have done it, was just where the county plowed in one end of one drive.

The view towards the southwest from this campsite. I am up on a hillside at about 4700’. A few miles away is AZ I-40, not a really long drive to Kingman AZ is lower elevation so about 5 degrees warmer in temperature. It is not a warm day, mostly cloudy and a rain storm came through night. Fortunately this is a well drained campsite with pummice stone soil. Not sure how long I will stay here, maybe another couple of days, maybe a couple of weeks. i would enjoy heading to Pahrump for 6 weeks or so but I have to buy trailer tabs this month and I might stay at the LTVA this winter and need to set aside funds for that as well. So it is most likely not a good plan to detour NW to Pahrump and then back SW to Quartzsite.

But today’s plan is to instrap my vinyl cutting machine I still have strapped down for travel and get it ready to cut some kits tomorrow when there is more solar input predicted. It has clouded up so there is not much solar input this afternoon.
IMG_1106.jpeg

Last edited:
Driving east on 1-40 from Kingman Flagstaff last spring was indeed a major pothole nightmare drive.

But a week ago Monday’s trip driving back to Kingman on I-40 the pavement surface was in above average condition. They had westbound down to one lane just west of Ash Fork because they were putting on another layer of asphalt but the open lane had been repaired already. So it was a very easy trip. Arizona DOT got the funding and got their act together and got that roadwork repair accomplished over this summer. Not just patched here and there but actually repaved.

Last edited:
Are there
Lots of people get out here on the road and suffer from boredom but I am not one of those types.

My DW just expressed this concern to me yesterday. She is worried that if we undertake some longer-term road trips, she would not know what to do with herself. Her main hobby is gardening, which is not very travel compatible. It seems to me that winter in new and different warm places would be preferable to sitting at home waiting for spring.

Maybe plan to visit fascinating and unique gardens along the way.

Some people travel for food. Others for architecture. Museums, etc.

Why not gardens and landscaping?

Are there

My DW just expressed this concern to me yesterday. She is worried that if we undertake some longer-term road trips, she would not know what to do with herself. Her main hobby is gardening, which is not very travel compatible.
Gardening would be tough for a nomad as it is not allowed to disturb the vegetation on BLM or NFS lands or introduce non native plants into it. You can however participate in the programs where volunteers are needed to replant areas or to remove invasive plants. There are also camp host and other work camping opportunities that involve gardening activity. Plus there are many beautiful public and private gardens to see, even in Southern Arizona. Large areas of National lands are dedicated to the preservation of some of the native plant types. Those areas sometimes have camp hosting opportunities for volunteer docents who educate the public. That would be an activity that gets you out and about among the plants and engaged with the botanist in caring for the plants and engaged with other enthusiasts.

Maybe plan to visit fascinating and unique gardens along the way.

Some people travel for food. Others for architecture. Museums, etc.

Why not gardens and landscaping?
That's just not the same as doing it yourself. I have managed to grow a few houseplants in my van. But - it's not the same.

I can see me finding a place to garden every summer to use as a base camp. Just haven't found the right place yet.

Are there

My DW just expressed this concern to me yesterday. She is worried that if we undertake some longer-term road trips, she would not know what to do with herself. Her main hobby is gardening, which is not very travel compatible. It seems to me that winter in new and different warm places would be preferable to sitting at home waiting for spring.
Bonsai trees would be perfect IMHO!