24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like Monday is going to be heading west day for my group. Last night it got to 32 for at least one hour around dawn. That has the others totally freaked out! I expected that temperature to show up now and again the last two weeks of September as I have been here by Flagstaff the previous two fall seasons, it is no big deal and certainly not cold enough for long enough to cause any freezing issues. But the majority opinion rules and I do not have a decent cell signal here without using my friends Starlink service. So staying at this site is not a viable option for me.

Oh well good thing I did not take my laptop in for repair yesterday or arrange to get my mail forwarded to Flagstaff.

Now I just need to go to town run errands and get back to camp and start packing up.

So my gimp ankle started getting better ... as soon as I quit physical therapy. (I'll save that rant for another time or spare you altogether :rolleyes:.) Slowly but surely, happy happy! So yesterday I jumped the gun a little and went on a real hike (OK, mini-hike) to some ruins up in the mountains. Three miles, took me almost three hours. I'm paying for it now but not as badly as I expected I might.
1000000244.jpg
Now it's back to "slow and steady" for another half-eternity I'm sure, but it was fun to get out there.

So my gimp ankle started getting better ... as soon as I quit physical therapy. (I'll save that rant for another time or spare you altogether :rolleyes:.) Slowly but surely, happy happy! So yesterday I jumped the gun a little and went on a real hike (OK, mini-hike) to some ruins up in the mountains. Three miles, took me almost three hours. I'm paying for it now but not as badly as I expected I might.
View attachment 34341
Now it's back to "slow and steady" for another half-eternity I'm sure, but it was fun to get out there.
Your like me… can’t always do slow and steady when you feel eternity slipping by. Or so it seems…

Yeah, pacing yourself is one of the toughest challenges in a thing like this.

Contracted COVID. That's what ten nights of motels, breakfast buffets and restaurants will get you (I unmasked to eat) -- besides a whopping tab. A breathing treatment at the clinic helped avoid a visit to ER, and the anti-viral seems to be helping, too. Be careful out there, and stay well!

Sorry to hear you contracted COVID. There seems to be a lot of it around now that school is back in session.

Arrived at the new campsite yesterday. I have camped near this town before but not at this particular NFS area. Plenty of all day solar input here so my battery was at 100% by 7:30am. Plus that solar power meant my trailer warmed up earlier just from the sun's power hitting the roof and also the wall that faces east.

We will hang out here until the cold nights push us further West along Arizona I-40 and down out of the mountain area.

I guess I had better make some coffee and set up my printer and get ready to ship out some orders that came into my Etsy store front. A trip into town will happen around lunch time. I want to check out the community fitness center as my senior medical plan says I can get free a membership there which means free showers there. It sure would feel great to have a long hot shower today!

Last edited:
The current Covid strains do not typically last long for symptoms but taking the anti virus meds is a good idea if you are already in a place that can give you a prescription for it and you have health insurance to cover the cost.

When I finally got COVID a couple months ago it was like a very light cold. I stayed isolated for the sake of those it can do actual damage to. But for myself, it just drained my energy for a bit.

Be safe, and I'm very happy you're doing better.

I was really sick for a couple weeks even after getting shots last winter. My wife is still dealing with respiratory conditions associated with long term Covid almost a year later, it should be taken seriously if you are older like we are.

Good day today, nice sunny weather but not too hot. A friend I camped with got my Westinghouse igen 1200 generator cleaned up and back to running. A couple of years ago I got some bad gas that varnished up my two generators. A friend from this forum got my Honda 1,000 generator cleaned up and running but not this other one. Later this fall I will get the cord that allows me to pair them together. They are two different brands but the essential specs needed for pairing are a match. I have weight limits for lifting. I can move each small one on its own but I cannot move a single larger 2,000 watt generator without risking significant damage to the facet joints in my spine. So for me a pair of two small generators is my only viable solution.

Next tuning/fixing up of equipment chore is getting that new battery installed in my newest laptop. That will happen within a few days 🙂.

Home on wheels or sticks and bricks housing or even backpacking with a tent, there is slways equipment that needs attention.

My friend who helped today was sitting around bored and asked me if he could work on my generator project. I have mastered the skill of saying thank you, that would be much appreciated. But it does require a certain level of trust. In this case he had a lot more years of experience with carburetors than I will ever accumulate.

I seem to have lost the link or knowledge of how to start a new subject/topic, so this seems to be the next best choice! OR how to contact the moderator(s) - which is what I really wanted to do.

1. Is it just me? The view mode seems to have changed to mobile view only. Is the Forum broken or is this on purpose? If so, then I really would be leaving this time.

2. I tried the CONTACT US link but it seems to require more information (like my phone # or current location) than I'm willing to provide. Is there a good reason for that?

Hi Ron, hey I'm sorry your having some issues....all you need to do to get ahold of me or the other mods is to hover your mouse cursor over our avatar (on mine the avatar is the pic that says 'Sturgis') and you should see the [Start conversation]...click that....OR....in any post of concern, click the 'Report' button and leave a message, and one or more of the mods will find it fairly quickly.

To post a brand new thread, go to the top of the sub forum you want, then look for the red button (top right) that says 'Post thread'....

The 'Contact us' is primarily for those outside the forum, non members, to be able to contact the management of this forum. Members can easily contact moderators with the [Start conversation] button.

As far as the mobile view...I'm not sure what has happpened but you might try logging out with your browser by clicking on your own name in the top right, and then click 'log out'. See if the page looks more or less normal when you are logged out.

Then log back in and see if it is switching to the mobile version for some reason.

Last edited: