24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot peppers did not deter the rats and mice living in the Coconino National Forest. The would walk right through hot pepper sauce and they chewed on the not pepper infused wire wraps. None of the scent bags of vegetation stuff sold as mice deterrents worked. Essential oils did not, moth balls did not either. The parts counter guy at the Flagstaff Honda dealer explained that none of the usual deterrents work in the area as the rodents in the area eat really spicy strong flavored foods such a juniper berries. They also build nest inside of the roots of using twigs and leaves very strong smelling plants such as sage bushes.

What works as a rodent deterrent in cities and in various other regions of the USA is likely not going to work in the forest and deserts of Arizona, New Mexico and other states that have very strong scented and strong tasting vegetation. The rodents here just say bring on the spicy smelling and strong tasting hot peppers, we are used to it 🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️

I had to resort to using rodent proof steel screen mesh around the wires on my car they got to twice before I realized it was going to take a physical barrier to protect them.

Last edited:
It is an amusing morning with weather services not being in agreement for the days high temperature in Flagstaff. The NOAA site says 95 but Windy says 83 and my iPhone weather app says 85. Windy takes my exact location into account

My camp is 650’ higher than Flagstaff so typically it will be 2.5 to 3 degrees or so cooler than Flagstaff. I do need to go into town later today to ship out some Etsy orders so Flagstaff matters to me although I can use AC in my car while driving into town. Oh well it will be what it will be no matter what the weather apps predict. But I am hoping for the lower temperature prediction instead of 95 🤞

Time for morning coffee at the communal gathering spot!

Hope everyone stays cool today.

Last edited:
Fled my usual spot in the Columbia Gorge a couple of days ago. It was just too danged hot. Now staying at a Sno-Park on Mt Hood, where it is in the 70s during the day and in the 40s at night. Have to stay in the area for the next few days, expecting some mail. Only drawback is how expensive everything is up here, but I am willing to make the trade-off. Then up to Seattle for a med appt, then over to the coast.

Thought I would post this here as it might be of help to those in areas with mice or other rodents.
The automotive industry thought it would be a clever idea to make soy(food)-based wire coating because it is cheaper, and because it costs quite a bit of money for their victims to get the rodent damage repaired.

I saw Maki2's mention of a Zero Gravity Chair, so I looked it up to see what it is.

I already own one! If you're a senior, BE SURE to try one before you buy. The first problem is the front bar that sits on the ground. It was cleverly designed so that when you decide to stand up, you have to put your feet ON THE 1" BAR. This is very awkward, and throws you off-balance.

The second problem is the stretch webbing along the sides. I'm not sure if they're all made of the same stuff, but I suspect they are. It is a stretchy sort of cord, created from a cluster of thin, weak, almost hair-like rubber threads, surrounded by a stretchy woven fabric. It breaks easily, so plan on replacing this cord every six months or so.

Will I get another one? NOPE!
("Scam me once, shame on you; scam me twice, shame on me.")

I have owned several zero gravity chairs in the last 25 years and none of them had broken elastic at the sides. Where they broke was at the pressure latching area on the arm rest.

Also the zero gravity chairs are definetly not one size fits all. There are XL sized ones which are a must for people over 5’10. Then there is an average due which fits average sized men and taller than average women. But fortunately for me I found one on sale at Tractor Supply that is perfectly proportionate for a 5’5” woman. The length between the seat back and knee bend is exactly right and that foot bar issue described above is not a problem. It took me a few years to find one that fit me just right but I never gave up testing them as the functionality of the design takes the stress of my lower back and some days it is exactly the perfect physical therapy rest I truly am in need of to relax those lower back muscles.

So just remember zero gravity chairs are not a one size fits all chair. The distance between the chair back and your knees is the critical factor, if it is not proportionate to your own body do not buy it, keep looking!

Fled my usual spot in the Columbia Gorge a couple of days ago. It was just too danged hot. Now staying at a Sno-Park on Mt Hood, where it is in the 70s during the day and in the 40s at night. Have to stay in the area for the next few days, expecting some mail. Only drawback is how expensive everything is up here, but I am willing to make the trade-off. Then up to Seattle for a med appt, then over to the coast.
I’m thinking about fleeing my daughters place in Logan as our camp host friend was bragging up the temps her way!
Anything under 90 will be good… supposed to be a very hot weekend! Eventually by Saturday was going to be at Bear Lake on the Idaho side. Then by August I’ll be near the Columbia River in the Washington tri cities. If nothing else I’ll be plugged in for my air conditioning.
In the summer my sons solar array can take care of most everything…

The automotive industry thought it would be a clever idea to make soy(food)-based wire coating because it is cheaper, and because it costs quite a bit of money for their victims to get the rodent damage repaired.
Yep, found out 1st hand this winter. Mother in laws car was parked in my open lean to started and wouldn't hardly run. Popped hood and rat stared at me, wires chewed under hood. Soldered connections and moved car. Next day same wires chewed in the same places. Repaired again and dosed with rat bait.

Ah Mother Nature, man versus tiny creatures 🤬

It rained day before yesterday. No rodents this time. Instead I got a sudden ant infestation inside my travel trailer. Just got back from the store where I bought a box of Borax Laundry Additive. Borax is a great ant killer it has saved me many times over the years when ants have decided my home is their new place to live and dine. Including those giant sized carpenter ants as well as the very minuscule sized ants that invaded yesterday.

Hooray!! No sign of ants this morning! But I won’t cleanup all the Borax Laundry Booster powder off the counters and edges of my floor by the base of the cabinets until tomorrow.

I did get an airtight gasket sealed type of plastic food container a few days ago. I will transfer the remaining Borax into that container, The upcoming rainy season humidity would quickly turn the Borax powder into a solid block if I leave it for more than a few days in the original moisture absorbing cardboard box.

My Amazon Prime day purchase did not arrive on time, No surprise as they handed it off to a USPS carrier for the final leg of delivery to a hub counter.

Last edited:
I just watched a commercial for buying school supplies and have been seeing aisles of them set up in Walmart all month long in July.

But I do not ever remember as a kid going shopping for school supplies until the teacher gave us a list on the first day back to school which did not happen until after the Labor Day weekend. It was fun that first few weeks to have some brand new stuff to play around with,

I can’t imagine the budget hit of buying new school clothes, shoes and school supplies and haircuts for 5 children which my parents had to do. One child was enough of a pain in the wallet. But I can imagine my mother’s joy when the youngest of us five finally went into first grade and she got to have some actual peace and quiet times to get stuff done in.

Last edited:
Lol!!! Got 2 pairs of jeans, two 2 sweatshirts, a package of white T shirts, underwear, and crew socks and a new pair of black Converse tennis shoes every six months. A set of dress clothes for church every two years along with a heavy winter coat. I got more clothes than I ever had when I joined the military and got to let my hair grow out (burr cuts are cheap and easy) and we were better off than the majority of people around us! Living with less is easier when you start out that way! Lol!!!

They start the back to school early so that parents will buy more than needed. Either all at once, or over time picking things up here and there. When the teacher gives the list and they have 70% more than needed, they feel like they accomplished something positive over and above.

The first time I got a list from the teacher we went and got everything on the list. Ended up using less than half. Next year I topped off what was used. Year after that I just waited until something ran out and was actually needed.

My youngest is now a senior in high school and we don't do school shopping. Haven't for years. We just get things here and there as needed it is she wants to change something. All the old stuff is just arts and crafts supply now.

My kids are great with money, and not wasting mine. Better than the schools/teachers and their wish lists.

Around me the school districts publish a list for elementary and middle school supplies about the middle of July. Most stores with school supplies copy and display those lists.
Many churches and other organizations have drives to give away backpacks with those supplies.

I have always been oblivious to what I was wearing; never been accused of being a fashionista. I always got hand-me-downs from a cousin one year ahead of me. Except for shoes: I needed special supportive (read ugly) shoes. Oh how I wished I could have white tennies. But most of us farm kids wore work boots anyway.

This was the brand and style of shoes I had to wear to school pretty much until I went into high school. Then I got penny loafers. They just did not have any other wide width options for girls. Although my foot got forced into too tight shoes for church on Sunday. Obviously I hated going to church because of that pain and therefore also did not like dressing up to go out. In summertime I wore rubber thong sandals when out and about as the pavement was blistering hot. But at home I went barefoot as often as possible when on the grass in the yard or in the house.
IMG_1022.jpeg

Last edited:
So I just realized that there's isn't a section for deals that I find. It's been a while since I've seen something worth posting, but I know it used to exist. So I'll put it here. I'll move if there's a better place to put it.

1999 Chevy step van $2500. Has a walk through video. This isn't mine, but it might be a good starter for someone. Posted a screenshot so you don't have to visit Facebook unless you're interested.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1204084390285575/?mibextid=dXMIcH
Screenshot_20230722-134720.png

Do you know what chatting with friends is about. Just hanging around shooting the breeze do to speak? That is what this thread is for. It is a hey how are you doing, what’s up with you kind of place.

What it is not it is not is a dumping ground for subjects you do not know where to put to start an ongoing thread about a specific subject of information for.

Ask a moderator where a good fit for what you want to do is. They can help you find the best location and even move your posting there as well as deleting my response to what you posted once it’s best location has been established.

I am not trying to be mean, I just want your thread to get directed to the right audience so as to make it viable and easy to find. A place on the forum where it is not over taking the intentionally casual chat and wide range of topics moving back and forth in members regarding their everyday life, health incident or just an inspirational thought or memory or even hobby interest that is the norm here in this thread. Its value is that it is not focused on any particular subject.

Last edited: