24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have been using the internet to order food and having it delivered to a drop off where we can pickup and disinfect packages in the evening when no one is around. So far so good. On the reservation we are required to have a letter showing we are traveling for work signed by our supervisor.

crofter said:
 when you get to the border checkpoints you will want to have a good reason for travelling. 
I didn't see anything in that link about border checkpoints, it mentioned voluntary self-quarantining.

You can cut down on visits to high traffic stores by using home delivery or curbside pickup, plus online shopping. Walmart home deliveries are free for orders over $35.

The reservation does do check points though sporadically. They are harder on locals as they seem to realize social gatherings and family get togethers are a large part of the problem. Something to consider if group camping!

crofter said:
Looks like AZ is into a second wave, so far fewer deaths. Total deaths in AZ is over six thousand, not counting travellers who die elsewhere. Here's the stats.   -crofter
It's just bizarre, covid cases have been growing exponentially all over the US for the past month or so. AZ And WI positivity rates were 5% a little over a month ago and now 15% and 18%. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Its like, WTH happened? [/font]

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/arizona
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/wisconsin

Luckily, the hospitals learned a lot about better treatments, so the deaths are somewhat lower. Minor consolation.

bullfrog said:
The reservation does do check points though sporadically. They are harder on locals as they seem to realize social gatherings and family get togethers are a large part of the problem. Something to consider if group camping!
Here is the CDC travel recomendations, with links to check restrictions where you are going. They do advise to check locally, and to quarantine for 14 days once you get there. BTW Canada and Mexico are on the level 3 travel list.  -crofter

Description: link to cdc site
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/travel-during-covid19.html

Qxxx said:
I didn't see anything in that link about border checkpoints...
There are border checkpoints at the California borders and in various spots in southern AZ. When I left OR last January, I had an essential reason for travel when crossing the checkpoints, and wore the mask. I have heard of some covid related enforcement in AZ, but the published policy in AZ is to educate people. 
-crofter

crofter said:
BTW Canada and Mexico are on the level 3 travel list.
Unless things have changed, pretty much every single country in the world has had its borders closed to americans for the past 4-5 months now.

crofter said:
When I left OR last January, I had an essential reason for travel when crossing the checkpoints, and wore the mask. 
January? When I returned home in mid-March, there weren't any mask restrictions anywheres at all. And I was all over southern AZ and SoCal, and came north through NV, back then, and there certainly weren't any checkpoints.

Some people call them the fruit nazis. They stop me every time.  I think the ones in southern AZ are actually border patrol and have nothing to do with fruit. They have a drug detector dog and ask some questions. -crofter

Qxxx said:
... in mid-March, there weren't any mask restrictions anywheres at all...
Yuma County was one of the first AZ counties with a mask mandate. Many stores are posted at the front doors and have staff there to enforce occupancy numbers and masks.

Here is the June 2020 law, recomendations were earlier.
https://www.yumacountyaz.gov/Home/Components/News/News/3551
States it is a class 1 misdemeanor if you refuse.
-crofter

People are dying and a lot more will because they don’t have a good understanding of what this virus can do. Until everyone or a high percentage of people start caring about others as well as themselves it is becoming apparent the more exposed you are, the more likely it will affect you. Isolation looks pretty good to me especially since I’m sort of a hermit and I’ve been trained thanks to my time in service. It is really a sad situation when we have let our country become so uneducated and lack the ability to insist on truthful information based on proven publicly presented scientific information that can be used by us all to make good decisions about public health and the future of this country. Fortunate most of us here have the ability to control the immediate area around us by being mobile and using the internet to limit exposure.

crofter said:
Some people call them the fruit nazis. They stop me every time.  I think the ones in southern AZ are actually border patrol and have nothing to do with fruit.  They have a drug detector dog and ask some questions.  -crofter
The checkpoints in southern AZ within 50 miles or so of Mexico are Border Patrol checkpoints, and have nothing do with covid. They're looking for illegals and have been there for years. Since they are Federal facilities, and the administration continues to refuse to take any sort of actions, it's doubtful they are imposing mask restrictions. The checkpoints on the freeways going into CA are for fruit and vegetables, and have been there for 40-50 years.

Qxxx said:
The checkpoints in southern AZ within 50 miles or so of Mexico are Border Patrol checkpoints, and have nothing do with covid. They're looking for illegals and have been there for years. Since they are Federal facilities, and the administration continues to refuse to take any sort of actions, it's doubtful they are imposing mask restrictions. The checkpoints on the freeways going into CA are for fruit and vegetables, and have been there for 40-50 years.
Correct, the only new S&B checkpoint is on 95.  -crofter

crofter said:
Looks like AZ is into a second wave, so far fewer deaths. Total deaths in AZ is over six thousand, not counting travellers who die elsewhere. Here's the stats.   -crofter

Description: link to site, running covid meter
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/arizona/
Here is a link to parks closures in Arizona, just Navaho Nation lands and sites right now.  -crofter

Description: link to parks site
https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1758/park-news-and-alerts-for-arizona.htm

crofter said:
Correct, the only new S&B checkpoint is on 95.  -crofter
I've been trying to figure out what S&B means here?

Qxxx said:
I've been trying to figure out what S&B means here?
I think we are having a disconnect today Qxxx. S&B to refer to sticks and bricks checkpoint, as opposed to getting stopped and hassled with the flashing colored lights. I have not travelled to Navaho Nation since then, but there are reports of ticketing in AZ, and checkpoints on tribal lands in northern states, based on soverignty (science based). The county I live in declared a state of emergency due to covid 19 on March 13, and started taking action then (science based). Most winter visitors left at that time, but many have returned from far away places now because they want to (emotion based). Science still says that staying home and not travelling is safer. -crofter