24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I own land in Happy Camp and hope to be able to live there again in a few years. That's my current plan. I'd be happy to have a nice deck with a yurt on it."

Travelaround, you have a great spirit of survival. Praying for you.

travelaround said:
Eureka.. 
Mt. Shasta..
yurt...
Good to know. A yurt sounds good. In regards drugs, we in the outside world see the (entire) State of Jefferson as being the weed capital of america, not to mention a huge drug culture in general. Something about deep forests.

Some of us like the high deserts because we get high on big skys and sunny days. And could never live in the PNW (at least west of the cascades). That's why they call me "High Desert Q" around the local parts, lol.

travelaround said:
I own land in Happy Camp and hope to be able to live there again in a few years. That's my current plan. I'd be happy to have a nice deck with a yurt on it.
https://www.yurts.com/

Great company from the neighborhood.

I have checked on putting up yurts in several counties in Wa. Or. Id. AK. and Az....and unfortunately I have yet to find a county that will allow or allow without extensive modification.

Snow loads and durability to the wind was the most cited reason as why they aren't allowed. Klamath County Oregon was zero discussion county when it came to yurts.. they dont care if you have it modified. :(

Coconino county Az was more open to them with modifications under their permits waiver program.
 Nearly everywhere in Wa. were they denied and most counties in Idaho excepting Idaho county Idaho.

I would love a yurt. If you find a good place that is receptive to them please  share with us!

Coconino Cty will let your install a metal shipping container, as Panda Monium did recently. I'd rather be in one of those when the Whirlwind comes.

I know of a couple of yurts in the woods near Happy Camp. At least one of them is sure to have survived the fire. My land, however, is in a neighborhood.. I should say, an neighborhood where there seems to have been no limits on what people built there. Most of what survived seems to be actual houses. I will just wait until such a time as the land is approved for building, and when I have enough money at hand. Then I'll approach the county with my building plan. A yurt is often seen as a temporary structure. I would definitely choose a Pacific Yurt... with snow & wind kit.

The local store has a shipping container office building. I've considered them as well. I love studying alternative housing. My ideas might all change by the time I'm ready to build something.

How about a shipping container as shelter against the Whirlwind and for general storage, and a Yurt for living in. Sounds nice to me, :). Paint the container with camo colors to blend in.

I few years back, I had thought about getting land in the outback somewheres, and arranging 3 shipping containers in a closed triangle, so there was a totally enclosed garden in the middle. Putting a fiberglass roof over 1/2 of it and 1/2 for open air ventilation. Clear the trees a good deal back, and put a ton of solar panels atop the containers. But anymore I'm happy to be in a small condo apartment, and letting the HOA do all the outside maintenance. No raking leaves, cutting grass, or shoveling snow for this little puppy anymore, lol.

A container for storage with a carport attached to the side to park my van under, sounds good enough for me.
A prefab small house with 1-2 acres even better.
It will be only a basic homebase with an address so I have somewhere to go back to if things get hairy along the way.

I have lived in condos 4 times in my US life, and I'm never going anywhere close to an Association again.

Sofisintown said:
I have lived in condos  4 times in my US life, and I'm never going anywhere close to an Association again.
Yes well, HOAs are one of the devil's devices of modern society. My friend in Atlanta lives in a HOA controlled housing devilopment. He parked his car on the street last month for 15-minutes, while someone was delivering a new garage door, and he got a fine for $25 from the HOA. Sometimes you just have to laugh off petty minds no matter where you find them. Oops, they're everywheres.

I priced a heavy duty carport type structure made of steel that was 12’x28’x14’ tall with a quarter wall for sun protection installed. They actually use a foundation to secure it. It was $15,000 but made to withstand wind in the desert from a local metal company in Tucson. Way too expensive for me but it would be nice. There is a company in Arizona that stacks large foam blocks on a concrete pad then epoxy coats them together and coats them with a stucco type adobe. Supposed to be super easy to heat with a single 1500 watt ceramic heater with our mild winters which I really liked but it isn’t portable and I hate owning property.

Caballo Loco allows you to put up yurts on their rented lots.

bullfrog said:
I priced a heavy duty carport type structure made of steel that was 12’x28’x14’ tall with a quarter wall for sun protection installed. They actually use a foundation to secure it. It was $15,000 but made to withstand wind in the desert from a local metal company in Tucson. Way too expensive for me but it would be nice. There is a company in Arizona that stacks large foam blocks on a concrete pad then epoxy coats them together and coats them with a stucco type adobe. Supposed to be super easy to heat with a single 1500 watt ceramic heater with our mild winters which I really liked but it isn’t portable and I hate owning property.

I always had properties and still do and I have nothing against owning property, as long as I don't get ripped-off come tax time. Fortunately there are plenty of places on this land, that the taxes are in the hundreds instead of the thousands.
That's where I'm looking.
I haven't lived in a rented anything for 30 years, and I will not start now. And I will not sign a mortgage ever again. You see what is happening when things get hairy, and people lose their jobs and their shelter, because someone decides that they can get higher rents or more taxes, or they decide to shut down whole areas where people live because of covid, fires, floods, hurricanes, whatever. I almost found myself in that position in 2011, and promised myself I'll never be in debt again just to own property.

I feel the same way Sofi.. no rents and no mortgage. I'm trying to come up with a building plan I can afford. Plan to save the money ahead of time. I could continue sleeping in my van and just have everything except a bedroom in a dwelling place.

Wouldn't it be nice though, to have a person or two or five you really like, to 'circle the wagons' on a good piece of land!

There are some counties that do not allow  metal shipping containers on residental properties. but they sometimrs allow them for industrial zoned properties. So if you want a container for storage or as a dwelling first be sure to check out the zoning regulatons. I was recently doing some background research on a property for someone. It was industrial but a residence could be put on it. But if you put a residence on it then other structures on the property had a less lenient set of rules to follow as far as what you could and could not do, including not being able to put a container on it or park an RV on it unless it was hidden from view on the street in front. But you could have a care taker unit and it would not change the industial /commercial rules.  Read carefully, sometimes where there is a will there is a loophole.

I’ve lived over twice as long as I figured I would. Just because you own land doesn’t mean you can keep it or use it the way you want to legally. My family has a history of getting it taken. The Tennessee Valley Authority took the first family farm, the Federal campground is named after my great grandmother, talk about insult to injury. My uncle had to move his invalid wife into town to get medical attention and ended up broken down after taking care of her for 30 years. He continued to pay taxes all those years. He never went back to the cabin because the road was to bad and he had her to take care of. Finally his death bed wish was to see his property, so we took him. A land developer had built a subdivision on it and the state gave them title after 10 years as it was considered abandon, we had to sue to try to get the taxes back and still didn’t have a ruling when he died. Several of the older members of the family have bought rural land and due to development and rising taxes had to sell because they couldn’t pay the taxes and their children couldn’t afford to make required improvements to legally live there after inheriting and transferring utilities which triggered an inspection on a hundred year old house. There are still places under $1,000 a year you can rent and within reason treat it like your own. You don’t even have to worry about requirements as I don’t own the property and at worst will have to take down whatever I did to improve the lot with the owner’s permission which almost never happens. I didn’t have anything when I came into this world and I won’t be taking anything when I leave. Owning property is just a false sense of security to me especially with all the recent developments, requirements and as I get older the cost of upkeep just keeps me from living a life free of worry. My children don’t see it that way as they are younger and look at it as an investment. I’ll just rent from them when the time comes.

Sofisintown said:
Wouldn't it be nice though, to have a person or two or five you really like, to 'circle the wagons' on a good piece of land!

Yes. That has occurred to me... to build a kitchen and sitting room with at least 2 or 3 private bathrooms then have others with vans or whatever share time on the property between travels... have a farm all around that. Daydreaming..

bullfrog said:
....Owning property is just a false sense of security to me especially with all the recent developments, requirements and as I get older the cost of upkeep just keeps me from living a life free...
I have had the same experience, cant hold onto land even if it is paid for something happens. And being the owner is expensive.
-crofter

There was another thread that mentioned using a farm as an adventure camping experience. I had to laugh as when I was younger showing other city kids how to survive on a commune and later how to load pack animals were some of my more enjoyable jobs but I don’t think I would pay to do it again. My grand kids would love it though. Maybe it is a viable business plan to teach new age homesteaders how to do what you like to do being on a small farm, writing and building out a van for a nomad lifestyle. Maybe you could mentor 2 or 3 at a time in return for labor, after all you have done and been through your experience may pay off!

Latest posts