24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Windy weather is just a lot more of an impact living on wheels than in a strong house. The wolf is at the door saying, I will huff and puff and try to blow your house down. You will feel and hear it trying to do so in the desert where you are the only wind block. Going to be close to 40mph winds this afternoon. Glad that I am not in a tall RV and that the wind is out of the south and my trailer’s nose is faced pretty much into the wind.

Time to get a move on and get my errands run this morning.
It's h@#$ living in a tin can when the wind is blowing.

Nice day here. Not as much wind as was predicted. Filled a few extra bags with trash and while downsizing and packing up stuff for the move.

Time for a quick run to Home Depot and Walmart so I can get back to camp before dark.

It has been an OK stay, good stuff like making a couple new friends. The downside was more strong wind and annoying noise than I prefer to be around. Not much a person can do about winds in the Western US. But sometimes I wish I had one of those spy movie devices you could aim at a generator to zap it (or a loud music source) and shut it off leaving the owner baffled as to the cause of the shutdown. No loud music this time, just lots of big generators. It will be quieter one of these days when more people have adequate solar and battery systems for running AC, big screen satellite TVs, microwaves and such.
Where's here?

It's h@#$ living in a tin can when the wind is blowing.
I do not live in a tin can. I have a fiberglass house boat that I tow on a trailer. It rocks because of the two round rubber shock absorbers. I will grab a pair of small screw Jack stabilizers to put near the front when I get to Quartzsite.

Attachments

• E9C11EE6-C52C-416B-9B2D-3B97FEF0B9FA.jpeg
    E9C11EE6-C52C-416B-9B2D-3B97FEF0B9FA.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
I have arrived “Here” which means the Quartzsite vicinity. Recent inflation means not staying in an LTVA. I like them just fine but I was more in need of peace and quiet for a while.

As I do not have a big RV the amenities of septic dump and water tank filling at the LTVA are not that much of a cost and time saving incentive for my tiny travel trailer setup. I can get free trash disposal at the municipal dump.

Pretty sunset tonight. Only a light breeze this evening. Not all that warm of a night as the recent cold front has a lingering effect on this region.

Quiet outside except when I set off a dog alarm. If that becomes an issue I can move camp, miles of good campsites around the area to choose from.

Hello. My brothernlaw who is a doctor tried to talk me into medicare when I turned 65. I said no, I'll just go to the VA. Best decision I made in a long time. About six weeks ago I got a bad case of poison ivy. I called the dermatology clinic the next morning around 8:30 to see when they could fit me in. They asked if I could make it in by 11:15? They had a cancelation. I got lucky. I was home by 4:00. Now that was service. No paperwork. No copay. No medicare.
Just double check to make sure that you won't be fined at 70 because you didn't sign up for Medicare at 65. I don't think people on VA benefits are excluded from that glitch.

No I am not crazy, it really was almost 20 degrees warmer in Quartzsite last year in November. I guess I won’t be needing to deploy shade cloth this next week. It is not even going to get into the 70s. I would have to camp in Yuma to get that warm.

Oh well I will hang out here for a while to visit with friends and get my mail forwarded to Q . Maybe it will warm back up in another 10 days.

^^^Makes you start thinking about finding other BLM land that is warmer or traveling further into Mexico doesn’t it! Lol!!!

You can blame me... people see my plates and oh, you brought this. I’m coming into what I think is perfect weather (mid 60’s and around 40 for lows). If I brought cold it would be a lot colder!
Nice here in Littlefield...

Rain all day here in PA. The last three hours have been a total downpour. But, I passed three nuts, who had no lights on at all. I am a proponent of if the wheels are turning the lights are burning. I think all cars should be wired that way lightbulbs don’t cost that much in comparison to the safety on the roads when people can see you coming. I have a relative size of my lights on the rain doesn’t do any good I can’t see any better. I hate to call that person a relative. It reflects on my DNA.

I’m getting anxious to get to Florida but I’ve got a heck of a lot to do before that happens. I’m hoping to leave sometime before 8 December. And I’m praying for no snow were ice before that. In the last three years I’ve only seen a little, dusting i’m getting anxious to get to Florida but I’ve got a heck of a lot to do before that happens. I’m hoping to leave sometime before 8 December. And I’m praying for no snow where ice before that. In the last three years I’ve only seen a little dusting of snow in the spring after I got back from Florida. No I don’t like hurricanes, but I do love Florida in the winter.

God bless the nomads No matter where they are.

I’ve said it before, but this dictation software really screws up my posts. Of course I’m too lazy to go back and proofread it in detail so you just have to decipher it.

God bless all the nomads whether they could understand my posts or not.

So the 🦶🦶🦶sore-foot saga ended with the doctor screwing up the paperwork (yes, it's final) and the medical equipment guy running a ridiculous flimflam on me that I can’t believe I fell for (moral of story: when under stress, don’t grasp at straws, especially straws offered by a 1950s cliché of a salesman).

The salesman made sure to let me know that he and the doc are personal friends. Like that was supposed to make me feel better (seriously?:rolleyes:).What an old-boy network!

Lucky for me I was already having my doubts about the stupid boot really being necessary. The more I read the more it sounds like it’s not that severe a case (as these things go), there are lots of less drastic things to try, and trying them is /not/ dangerous (unlike what the doctor said).

Ordinarily I would HATE to take internet advice over what an actual in-person doctor said, but in this case I think it’s the right thing to do. I looked carefully — Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, physical therapy association websites, etc., not QuacksRUs.tv.

I had my heart so set on a fabulous launch of Retirement 2.0, but I guess I will have to limp into it like Quasimodo … and I guess (other moral of story) that is not the end of the world.

It’s surprising how, once you realize “yes, you do have to deal with this,” it gets easier.

OK, off to shop for shoes LOL.

Thank you for listening!

good that you have sorted out that doctor situation. Too bad there was a mix up at the end of treatment with the prosthetic boot. Fortunately there are plenty of those for sale without needing to go through a doctor should you feel the need for strengthening and protecting your foot.

Last edited:
My two gremlins of last week have resolved. One with my assistance, the 12v fridge plug. The other my diesel stove/heater seems to have fixed itself on the trip to Quartzsite. Good thing because even in Southern Arizona this month it is chilly in the evenings and mornings which is very sad. Long sleeves and fleece pullover needed all but the mid afternoon today.

At least I got my laundry done this morning at the main street laundry in Quartzsite. The old cafe that was adjacent to it closed but a coffee shop with a real good quality espresso machine opened up. The name is “Basics”. I had to test that out as good properly pulled shots of espresso is my preference for coffee. I give it two thumbs up! Good espresso and very good food too. Not a full menu but what they offer is well done made with good quality ingredients at reasonable prices. The owner has had a restaurant in Quartzsite before and that business experience is evident in the food and service. I will be looking forward to laundry days! Of course will also be stopping in for an espresso somewhat frequently when I go into town as it is nowhere near as expensive as Starbucks.

Time for a movie while luxuriating in the warmth from my heater. Feels like a real treat!

Too bad there was a mix up at the end of treatment with the prosthetic boot. Fortunately there are plenty of those for sale
I wouldn't call it a "mix up"; I'd call it bad and harmful behavior that defeated my best efforts to cope with it. I'm grateful that I have enough education to see through it, and enough bucks in my pocket to work around it (at the cost of other sacrifices, of course -- I'm not rich and these things are expensive). I know that other people -- in this high-poverty, medically underserved area (but really anywhere) -- are not so lucky.

Having to get advice off the internet for a problem severe enough to affect daily life activities is not an unalloyed happy ending -- especially given all the bad advice you have to weed through to find something that looks safe to try.

I just wish I still had the physical oomph necessary to get the EMT Basic that I used to dream of. I know it gets way worse than what happened to me, and if I could spare one person 10 minutes of that rotten experience, I'd be a happy camper.

Life is weird. I'm grateful to still have a few options (or the illusion thereof).

Beautiful morning here, lots of solar power available. Battery is at 100%. My food cupboard is topped off from the last few days of shopping visits to the discount food stores in Quartzsite and other favorite haunts. With my build 98% finished it feels odd not to have gone to the hardware store or tool seller tents.

No errands that need going into town today. Not feeling restless for sightseeing so I will put in some of the prime solar hours running my vinyl cutter making tiny cardstock village kits for my Etsy store.

I have an audio book cued up to help take away the repetitious nature of that work activity of cutting and packaging. Just about through binging on audio books from Craig Johnson’s Walt Longmire series. Almost done with my cup of coffee. Just need to get my equipment setup, take out my supplies and settle down to work.

Last edited:
Got the second gremlin that was interfering with electrical flow to my fridge back in into its box. The spring loaded metal contact pin at the end of the plug was binding in the hole in the plastic end cap. Easy fix!

Funny that one of the recent 2 gremlins was preventing heat and the other was preventing cold.

Not very warm here in Quartzsite this week. I am ready for some of those more typical temperatures for this time of year. But 69 is predicted 10 days out from now. Which is still about 10 degrees lower than normal but better than the 20 degrees lower than this past 10 days.

Highway patrol has an O (tire) with wings right on their door, go a mile per hour over the speed limit and they will happily let you know you are in Ohio, especially if your vehicle happens to be registered in Kentucky! Lol!!!

Ohio targets Michiganders as well. When the Michigan plates had a blue background, Michiganders were referred to as a "blue plate special".

Thanks to the tight over the limit, many Ohio drivers will sit in the left lane going the speed limit along side a tractor trailer also going the speed limit.