24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some slip on bug / sun-blocker/privacy screens for front & back
Trying to decide on which trifold mattress to get.... the one i initially wanted has fiberglass under the cover (that you're not supposed to remove)......i wanted to just use my own twin mattress in the back...but it will be hard for me to lug to the car & back as i try to set things up.....i thought having the tri- fold mattress type that you can carry in a carrying bag would be easier for me....
Next is to get some good tires.........the ones i have have leaks....at least 2 of them....

Using an expert to understand the options on medi-gap plans is a good idea.  I have plan G.  I can use it anywhere, which I want as I plan to travel outside of local doctors and hospitals.  Beware of going with an advantage plan at first as you probably won't be able to transfer out to something with better coverage after the initial signup period.  I went with the best, and can drop down to cheaper coverage if I want later.  Can't go the other way.

I can't afford the best, but I'm real happy with my advantage plan.

^^

Thank you I will be grateful for any info from experienced Medicarers. lol

shadowmoss said:
Using an expert to understand the options on medi-gap plans is a good idea.

I'm going to talk with the WA guy first and then with a broker in town that has good reviews.  I'm looking forward to see what each of them say and if it differs or not.

I don’t know a lot about Medicare but I’m on it. I should really study it more. One thing I do know is the so-called experts who are there to help you are sales people mainly on commission or salary plus commission. That doesn’t mean they don’t do good or can’t help you. That just means be aware of it.
God bless all of nomads especially us/we old ones on Medicare. God cares more than “Medi cares “

nature lover said:
One thing I do know is the so-called experts who are there to help you are sales people mainly on commission or salary plus commission.

This is why I'm going to talk to a broker (commission from sales) AND a state healthcare employee.  And do my own research, as much as I can understand anyway.

Beth's Cafe in Seattle has reopened!! Now I want a six egg ham and cheese omelette and all the hash browns I can eat. Lol

I wish I could visit Seattle and experience Beth's Cafe!

Medicare...
The most important thing to me as a nomad, is that I need to be able to use this insurance anywhere... and not be restricted to my state.

As I understand it...
Medicare Advantage Plans - you are restricted to one state or area to use it.
Medigap = Medicare Supplement Plans - you can use all over the USA (and I don't know about foreign countries.)

So... I have a Medicare Supplement Plan which I bought through AARP and United Health Care. I decided to get the best coverage available, and I rarely have to pay for anything out of pocket because the insurance covers it.

Right now United Health Care takes $171.74 monthly for my Medicare Supplement Plan.

That's on top of the $148.50 monthly that Social Security withholds for Medicare parts A/B.

I also have part D for medicine. Paying about 30 dollars monthly.

Eye care - pay out of pocket.

Dental care - pay out of pocket. I recently went to the dental clinic run by our local tribe of Native Americans and had to pay $60 for two visits, to get a tooth pulled. It is probably much more expensive anywhere else.

That said, I do feel like my pocket is being picked because before buying all this insurance I rarely spent anything significant on health care, but I guess as I get older the need for expensive health care could make me feel like it was all worthwhile.

Welcome to old age - where you get a small amount of Social Security so that insurance providers can be paid.

^^^ This is great info for me, thanks!

"Welcome to old age - where you get a small amount of Social Security so that insurance providers can be paid."

Yeah, it's starting to look like it. :(

I'm only on a few not drastic prescriptions and my health is pretty good. Which means if I didn't get the best coverage I could afford, I'd probably have a heart attack 2 weeks after my Medicare kicks in. :/

Kind of like what happened when I got Covid. Two weeks after my insurance changed and not for the better. Good thing it was a mild case.

wanderingsoul said:
Beth's Cafe in Seattle has reopened!! Now I want a six egg ham and cheese omelette and all the hash browns I can eat. Lol
YAAAAA Beth's is back!!!! They are so yummy!
It sounded like they may not have been able to but they did so glad what would late night Seattle ever do with out Beth's!

I had so many breakfasts there after the Eastlake Zoo tavern closed for the night. Lol

Camper - thanks for the offer but I think I can finagle it and get through the month but I’ll keep it in mind in case things get rough and tight. Thank you all. God bless the nomads everyone of us.

Just got back from the eye doctor. He says my eyes look very healthy, no sign of macular degeneration or retinal issues. Says to keep your eyes that way eat green leafy veggies and wear sunglasses. Well, I've never work sunglasses all my life but I did recently buy a cute pair at Walmart that go right over your glasses. I got them because the lenses were purple and I do like purple. I've worn them a couple times, briefly, guess I'll wear them all the time now when driving.

Green leafy veggies no worry, I'm eating a lot of salads made of romaine and spring mix 1/2 & 1/2.

Speaking of which, I'm starved. Salmon should be defrosted by the time I eat a salad.

Oh yeah. Did anyone get a reduction in medical premiums with the American Rescue bill? I've been paying the usual $125/month for my policy which was one of the cheapest and all I could afford. I got my invoice the other day and it showed a $251 credit. What the?? So I called them just now and because of the bill, my monthly premium went down to $1.63 at the beginning of June!!!! I can hardly believe it!

Nature lover the book I am reading today had a line in it I think you might enjoy using

One foot in the grave, the other foot on a banana peel.

As long as the sunglasses are rated as being for UV protection and are not just cute looking....

Today I'm looking at Home Depot and Lowes websites to figure out where I'll go for lumber next. I'm hoping it will be Klamath Falls as I'd like to drive over there - it has been a long time since I've been there.

Just talked to both the RV guy and carpenter, so they haven't given up on me yet. I'm grateful for that. They took my fan up on top to see how it would look at the front of the van as the solar panels will be behind it. He said it will be about (or almost?) 800 watts of solar with four batteries at least.

Just took down and packed up my screen room as the midday rain was done and it was already dry. I was not planning on leaving this camp this soon but my  bad tooth is beginning to get worse. Closest place to see a dentist is Flagstaff and I have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon for the initial exam. So off I go in the morning with my trailer hooked behind me. I am going to hook up before it gets dark just in case it is raining in the morning.

I was looking forward to being here longer but I can (and will) come back to the Grand Canyon area Kaibab National Forest free camping again next month.

Maki2 - That’s exactly the position I want that rich widow I’m planning to marry to be in. 1 foot in the grave and 1 foot on a banana peel and no children with hands in the bank. If that doesn’t kill her waking up in the morning and realizing she’s married to me might.