24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My summer uniform is simple - black shorts and black cami . . . but that's for at home. I'll put on a real shirt when I go out. Keeping it simple. I think when I travel I can wash these easily every night, and won't have to carry too much space consuming clothing with me. Of course I'll have a couple pairs of blue jeans on hand but I'm very much hoping for good weather and no need for laundromats. My sink is a large utility type sink... good for washing clothes by hand.

Hello fellow nomads, all is well in Pennsylvania. We are in the second day of the most beautiful weather you can imagine. High 70s very low humidity pleasant breeze bright sunshine. Yes as everyone else has said if this would only be forever. Tuesday we had a lot of thunder showers and such that were breaking the humidity and heat. I thoroughly enjoyed walking through one of those rainfalls smelling the ozone and getting totally soaked. The broken ribs are getting less and less painful but that was less painful I said not non-painful. I’m parked outside the back door of a friends farm house and their five boys are always a big help to me. We installed a nice sturdy Grab bar near the side doors. One of the best additions to the van I’ve done.

Some easterners are trying to or form some caravans in northern Florida for November. I’m going to try to be part of those caravans in order to meet some east coasters. If they let me I might join one then go to another and then join the third. I tried to keep a List of East Coast, or better said East of Mississippi, posters on this forum but somehow I have lost that information so hopefully these caravans will help jump start a new list. I’m so glad someone else stepped up to lead in doing this. When Bob and Suanne were in Florida I really wanted to meet with them concerning caravans but I missed that meeting and then Covid happened. I’m praying that this remission from Covid will continue; things are getting back to pre-Covid“normal” here on the East Coast.

God bless the nomads each and everyone. And all the nomads should bless God for the wonderful lifestyle he’s made Available for us to live. Oh, and God, about those gas prices???

Gypsy108, i already looked on the site you linked to. They do not have any regular types of pants in brown camo colors for older women's bodies. They have paratroupers pants, they have capris, they have, have skinny leggings but not one single pair of standard long pants in either combat.

Online stores stock what sells to their most frequent customers. In thevcase of military surplus stores female customers who are targeted are young women in their teens and 20s. A totally different body type than mine.

Here in the Idaho panhandle there are many larger, manish built women wearing camo. I see them daily.

Clothing is clothing... even tho society would assign a gender to a bit of fabric there is no need to continue the status quo. Zipper and button location may be different but if an item fits.... should it matter what aisle it came from??

BDU's are unisex. They are also unisize the extent that they are sized like medium-long, large-long, medium short, etc. no numbers or sex involved. Highdesertranger

maki2 said:
If you are intimidated by taking those items out of that ceiling panel it is a sure bet you have done very little over the years in the way of fixing stuff.

I won't deny it.  My ex-husband was a cargo ship engineer and nothing made him happier than if I said "Hey!  Such and such needs fixed!"

So I had my GC in for an oil change a couple days ago.  When they were done he tells me that the pit guy heard a noise from the tranny when they pulled it in.  Says "Might be a bearing".  I just made an appt with the tranny shop so they can have a listen but it isn't until next Friday.  I've been expecting something like this since I bought it (and learned about minivans and tranny issues after the fact) and I do have the funds set aside.  But it's still going to hurt.

So sorry you may have a tranny problem, Wanderingsoul - I know that's expensive. I hope there's an easy fix.

Today my new internet connection will be installed. I hope this helps as internet here has been so inconsistent lately.

One step at a time with the conversion plan - we just ordered the shower pan.. also have sink and cabinet, mattresses, and a few other things I've ordered in the van. Eventually it will all come together. Hopefully. Or I'll have a lot of stuff I don't know how to put together and use. I'm trusting in the process.

yaay TA... I'm glad you are getting your rig built out... hope you'll share some progress pics either here or your youtube. Shower pan??.. Really stoked to see how your bathroom is installed.

It is pretty rare here to see a full on shower/ bath installed. It could help many folks to see the possibilities.

Have fun!

Thunderstorm has arrived along with the rain.  I heard it before it arrived so I got the side panels put up on my screen room, the newly made rain cover on the generator, etc. I had been sitting outside in the shade some final detail hand sanding on my cabinet doors to get them ready to varnish tomorrow.

Unfortunately it seems to be a rather slow moving storm so no more outdoor work today. Just hoping it does not start any forest fires in this area.

My campsite mates are a pair of Yellow Belly Sap Suckers. Plus a few thousand moths. Never saw as many moths at a campsite before. I need to put my hand woven, Navajo style, wool bed rug into a large zip lock bag with some moth balls. Another item for my shopping list.

I've found clove oil to be good for repelling moths too. I keep army blankets and natural fiber clothing I'm not currently using in a bin with a small jar with clove oil soaked cotton balls in it. Even when one of those wool sweaters is not currently binned and hanging in my closet, the moths leave it alone.

It is quite obvious to most people that a man's body is propotioned differently than a women's.
So it matters quite alot which aisle you shop for clothes in when it comes to buying jeans and ...underwear too.

The entire statement was..

"if an item fits.... should it matter what aisle it came from?"

Thought that was obvious.

desert_sailing said:
"if an item fits.... should it matter what aisle it came from?"
Ideally I should be shopping in the ladies aisle, but the stuff is not practical and does not fit my body.

I found a great pair of pants in the mens dept at WM for $20, lightweight and wears like iron. I use them for all my dirty jobs and they clean up great.
-crofter

Just went and got my enhanced license in case I want to do something spontaneous like pop down to Quartzsite this winter and pop further down into Mexico for dental services. Although I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at the dental insurance I got through the WA Healthplanfinder this year. $35/month. I recently had half a tooth break off and restored and it cost me only $65 after insurance. That was much less than I thought it was going to be.

Hello nomads, I just found an interesting link to the Johnny Carson show with a man called booger ray. He was a nomad with mules and a wagon a good many years ago. there’s some interesting stuff on the web about him including this video. Looks like he could’ve been Bob Wells his father, or mine.

Seems like there have always been nomads. My mother was a nomad in an RV for a while. My grandmother had an RV too. I remember being in elementary school learning about nomadic tribes in the Middle East and thinking about how much I'd like to be part of something like that.

Just the word "no-mad" is awesome - like nothing to be angry about... just an easier lifestyle and no rent payments. The tradeoff is that you can't collect a lot of stuff... but you get to see and experience more than most people. I love saying that the world is my living room.

Another sew sew day,  weather said a chance of thunder storms so I did not want to start any varnish work.

Finished making some canvas tool storage rolls. Used the leftover white vinyl to make a dust cover for vinyl cutter. That white cover really helped reduce the look of visual clutter when the cutter is sitting out on my desk. My desk is located right in front of a sliding window so the dust cover is  important protection to keep dust out of the machine should a wind gust come along. L ater I might use more of the white vinyl leftover pieces to make some wall hung pouches for storage. But for the next few days will return to cabinet door work.  I hope to have the varnishing done by Monday. it should dry quickly in this hot weather.

Fires all around in the Coconino National Forest.  The Backbone fire near Fossil Creek is causing Pine and Strawberry to be evacuated.  That is about 12 miles from me.  Shelter set up at the school here in Payson, livestock sheltered at the rodeo grounds.  This is too close.  The smoke is dramatic.

Highway 87 is closed from Payson up to Lake Mary road, and highway 260 is closed from 87 over to I17.  That is one of the 3 ways out of here.  The Telegraph fire over to the east near Globe is getting under control, but it had highways closed.  I keep refreshing az511.gov that shows what roads are open.

Payson is probably not in danger from this fire, but with the evacuation traffic and extra vehicles on the 2 remaining roads another fire could make it difficult to get out of here.