2019 RTR:

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyra1958

Reaction score
I would like to know what dates if any have been set for the RTR for 2019, I'm coming down from Ontario Canada to get info and advice for living this life style it appeals to me very much, since i'm on a limited budget, wont be purchasing a cargo trailer for at least 3 yrs from now, but I've started a cargo trailer savings fund, and every thing I sell from my personal furniture and belongings I feel I wont need in the trailer is going to be sold and every penny from those sales is going to be put towards my Cargo trailer life fund. In the mean time I will be living out of my S.U.V. when I come down and have made a list from all the video's I have seen that I feel I will need to stock my car to survive. Even if its only for 3 or 4 weeks that I come down for in jan. since I do still live in an apt. for now with room mate. I'm looking forward to meeting ppl who do this full time and learning from them, so I don't make mistakes while setting up my trailer. Since i'm from Canada I will be staying 5 and half months since I only have so many days I can be out of country, and I've chosen the winter months from Sept 15th to March 15th since that will work out for dates I can camp in Canada.

tentative dates for RTR is January 9-20. this is not official until Bob makes an official announcement. highdesertranger

I saw on Bob's July 15 live video that 2019 RTR is in Bouse, AZ.

Karli said:
I saw on Bob's July 15 live video that 2019 RTR is in Bouse, AZ.

Thank you for the info, I looked it up and its 40 minutes away from Quartzsite, so don't think i'm traveling over 3000 km to the RTR to be stuck out no where land.

I've not been to Bouse, but looks to me like it's nicer than Quartzsite. It's also 25 miles from Parker, whereas RTR Quartzsite is about 40 miles from Parker. And Parker is a real town (pop 3000), nicely situated on the Colorado River, and complete with parks, Walmart and other real grocery stores, eg Safeway, plus actual restaurants. The other big attraction is, from Parker it's an easy drive up to Lake Havasu City, which is a nice small city (pop 52,000).

HDR, supposedly Bob is planning for there to be several "wandering convoys" of CheapRVers, starting in the fall. Do you know where there is info on this? I cannot find it.

RTR is in Quartzsite the location has moved about a mile(by air) from it's previous location.

Reno I think you are talking about the mentoring program. it's being worked on. I think Bob will announce the start at RTR.

highdesertranger

I believe Bob is refering to the Women's RTR not the regular RTR. The Women's RTR will be in Bouse.
This is not very clear in the video -

Here's the transcript 
Starting at 25:53

any updates that woman's RT
are dates yes actually I was just
talking to her the the regular RTR is nine we're we're
gonna I'm gonna have a an update on the 
woman's RTR coming up real soon the
women the men's our regular RTR for
everyone is nine through the 20th and
it's the five days before so I believe 
that's the 4th through the 8th no maybe
it's the 3rd through the I that's as 
close as I can get
it's the five days before the regular
RTR and the regular RT is nine through
the 20th of January it will be in an
entirely different location it will be
in a little town called Baus which is 15
miles north of site so it's real close
but yes all is planned and we have we
have a
do coming up about the WR TR and and 
well eventually the RTR to

Ah, I thought the mentoring thing was going to be starting "this" fall.

Bouse Az has a lot of nice flat blm areas to camp. I think that would be a big difference having a good location there. Easier access from paved road. Lots of area to handle more people.
I have been through the area. I think it would be a great spot. Parker is about 25 miles north, with Walmart and other shopping.

Plus there is some great mountain sceanry around there.

Please be careful about the time you spend in the USA. There is much misconception about our limits as Canadians before you can be forced to file US income tax as an alien.  It is not 182 days EACH year. The formula (from what I understand)is 182 for current year plus one third of the days of the previous year plus one sixth of the days of the year before that. The total of those 3 numbers is our time allowance and must not exceed 182 days. It can get tricky for us snowbirds. 
Genie.

thanks guess I will just be down for 3 months of winter and go up to BC . Then work my way across Canada till I get back to Ontario. Cant go any shorter than that for staying in the states, because then it doesn't make sense the cost of traveling down, as its over 3000 km each way. And with towing a trailer it will take a week or so to get there. Will check routes and see if its smarter to travel across Canada first then head down to Arizona after.

kyra1958 said:
thanks guess I will just be down for 3 months of winter and go up to BC . 

As a Canadian, you can stay in the USA for 120 days or less each year, every year, and you will still be deemed a visitor.

That's roughly 4 months each year.

If you stay more than 120 days, up to 183, then you have to start looking at the formulas, and/or, the exemptions.

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=bb7206f5-69f7-472f-94a2-cfb18755e3ea

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...ed-to-be-mindful-of-changes-says-mp-1.2912096

thank you that gives me 4 months with travel time included, that's a bit better.

Folks, this is just a friendly reminder that many of us have limited bandwidth so we ask that you carefully trim any quotes you include to the bare minimum. When you are reading on a phone, and you have to read the same post twice to get a new comment, it can be frustrating--especially if there are pictures!

Be kind and trim!! :)

A Canadian (and any other visitor for that matter) is allowed to be a visitor in the US for up to 6 months. As a Canadian I do not have to apply for a written visitors visa that people from other countries would have to get.

That said, the tax rules are a different matter altogether. The US taxes income on a world-wide basis so people who spend more than 120 days or the aggregate of current year/past 2 years of 183 days are subject to US tax regulations.

BUT, anyone who keeps what's called 'closer connection to country of origin' AND files the correct form is exempt from the taxation.

Every April 15th I simply file a 2 page form with the US government, answering questions such as 'where do I bank', where do I keep a residence', etc.  By filing this form, I am in compliance with US tax regulations and as such do not have to file a US tax return.

In any case, Canadians pay more tax than the US would collect on the same income so I would be in a negative tax situation anyways.

It's simple, all one has to do is follow the rules.

If there's any Canadians who have trouble understanding the US tax rules or the forms required, I'm happy to help.

If you are retired and collecting Canadas' Old Age Security income, it is also important to follow the residency rules in Canada to make sure that you remain entitled to the OAS payments. Provincial health insurance regulations also require presence in the province of residency to remain eligible for coverage so it's important to understand all the regulations that pertain to length of stay outside the province/country.

having spent time in both places.. I prefer Bouse actually :) but, if you are planning on doing the events in Quartzsite itself, it is a bit of a drive.. a nice drive, but still gas :)

im so looking forward to RTR and face to face time with all the new friends I found on here!!!!! right HDR, I hope Lenny Flank can make it too!

sure, come on by. have a seat and a beer. I even have a bigfoot story. sorry no unicorns. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Reno I think you are talking about the mentoring program.  it's being worked on.  I think Bob will announce the start at RTR.
In Bob's current video (07/30/18), he mentions starting the mentoring caravans this fall - like Sept one month away. Thereabouts.