2018 RTR disabled/ chronic illness meet and greet?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blanch said:
Would any of my fellow nomads who travel with chronic illness or disabilities like to do a meet and greet at the RTR to swap ideas on traveling while dealing with medical issues? Maybe a potluck that could be held at my TT one evening. Something like that. Any interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blanch, 
My husband and I are both disabled and RV newbies and VERY interested in a meet and greet!! We have been so excited and so nervous at the same time to go to the RTR. Thank you for this post!!! Brad and Robin Maples

Robin said:
Blanch, 
My husband and I are both disabled and RV newbies and VERY interested in a meet and greet!! We have been so excited and so nervous at the same time to go to the RTR. Thank you for this post!!! Brad and Robin Maples

Last year was my first RTR. I’m really looking forward to this one. I plan to be a bit more social and meet some of my fellow nomads.

e970b5378c70305567613e60c921589e.jpg

I’m getting ready. The sign is made. Now I need to pick a date. Anyone have a preference?

Blanch are you out here yet? I've got to get you a badge.

I'm in Quartzsite currently and will be till around the 15th. Just waiting for when others show up.

:) ......... JUST SO YOU GUYS KNOW.........I'LL BE THERE IN SPIRIT......... :)

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT TIME AND YOU TELL US STAY AT HOMES ALL ABOUT IT

JEWELLANN AND QUEENIE

P.S. Should know about the Safari repair sometime on Thursday

I'd love to. So much needed info for people with disabilities. I have multiple health problems and I just became full time on December 20th. Been planning since 2013, and on Dec 20th it all came to fruition. I'm so excited and at the same time finding many roadblocks I need to plow through that others don't. Would love to hear and learn regarding this issue. I got to Ehrenberg on Jan 2nd, and jumped in full force to my new free life, as though I had no disability. Then reality set in when the nerves in my legs decided to completely give out, and I couldn't walk. I managed to arm walk myself into my camper and pulled myself onto the bed to wait it out. My nerves stop functioning at times, but NEVER like that. I almost had to call 911 DAY ONE!!! I was like, "No way am I failing on DAY ONE!!!" That was when I realized I DO have health issues, I WILL have to be conscious of them, and care for myself differently, if I am to succeed out here. I DO NOT have to be a slave to my illness, but it IS a part of me.

Okay, people keep arriving at the RTR spot designated and I have been there. Can we get a day and time please. There seems to be several people who are unaware of this meet up that are disabled and I don't have much I can tell them.

katajojo

I applaud your courage. You do not have to be a slave to your disability but you do have to accept its limitations or as you found out, it will explain them to you very clearly. My legs have only once completely stopped working, dropped out from under me lots and not too long ago I could not stand for the life of me. I thought this is BS and I am going to stand one way or another. I passed out after the third try and luckily a friend was there to catch me. So I have figured out that it is better to do what I can rather than put myself in those positions and have to call for help.

I hope to show some of the things I do to make it easier on me out here.

The disabled and chronic illness meet and greet will be January 18th at 3pm at my travel trailer. I will have refreshments available.

Blanch said:
The disabled and chronic illness meet and greet will be January 18th at 3pm at my travel trailer. I will have refreshments available.

Where is your trailer?

RV-Hopeful said:
Where is your trailer?

At the intersection of the main camp road (the red road) and the purple road. It is a 30ft gray and black Springdale TT.

Ok here's a kicker. I'm disabled with a chronic illness. I have a genetic immunodeficiency. I'm at the RTR, but I'm missing the whole event bc I got sick, and I don't have the strength to leave my camper. Some wonderful people went to get some things for me. I would LOVE to be there, and will try, but I'm getting worried I may need to leave for a park with full hookups until I get well. I'm trying not to get depressed. But I'm running out of water, the place is becoming a mess, and my tank is getting full and I have no strength right now to go to town. If I muster the strength to go to town, I'll have to stay there. See? I need to learn from all of you. I guess it's my own damb fault bc I am supposed to wear surgical masks when in public, but I was embarrassed. This is an issue we all need to deal with I think...how to take care of ourselves without worrying  about what others think.  Anyyyyway....can I come to the meeting via phone???? I'm in the truck camper that says "snowman" on the windshield. I hope I will be OK by then but if not I'd like to attend by phone if possible. Pm me?

Wow, I just left the last post, went outside and just sat in my camp chair for a bit to try and get some sunshine and looked across the way and realized you are RIGHT ACROSS from me!!!! I think I can walk that far lol!!! Good things DO happen!!!!

Just a reminder for anyone who is interested-this is tomorrow at 3pm at my trailer. The intersection of the main camp road and the purple road. As you drive towards the main camp it is on the left, maybe 500 feet prior to where the seminars are being held.

I would hope that next year we can do this again and maybe even have some good information for others about residency and other options.

I hope so!

Wondering how many got to Attend your fine event :) Blanche. Bet you all had a wonderful time...

I wasn't able to make the 2018 RTR or I would have been interested. I have partial disability.